1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM Voting Site now live!

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Nath, 25 Aug 2006.

1. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

After quite a lot of discussion last month regarding how voting works, the consensus was that it should be voting on the photos, rather than photographers. To that end, here is the dedicated voting site. You need to be logged in to vote or to post entries, and to keep it within the forums, if you'd like an account, please PM me. Everyone who's entered August's competition already has an account, and will be getting their passwords via PM in the next few minutes. These can be changed through the control panel on the site. Here's a few notes as to how it works.

Posting Entries
    To post an entry, log in to your account, then click 'Add New Entry'. It's on the menu at the bottom of all control panel pages. You'll be prompted for the Thread URL, which is the URL of your entry thread in the POTM forum. EXIF input is, for now, manual, and there are notes next to the form explaining what should be typed in. Finally, there's a file upload box for the actual image. Currently this only accepts JPEGs.

Deleting Entries
    If you want to delete an entry at any point while the competition is open, click 'Delete An Entry' in the control panel, then choose which entry you want to delete. This can't be undone, and there's no confirmation after you click delete, so make sure you delete the right one.

Changing your password/email address
    The email address is stored so that notifications of the winner can be sent out at the end of each month. If you want to change either your password or email address, click 'Change Password' or 'Edit Profile', respectively. After changing your password you'll be logged out and have to login again with the new password.

How Voting Works
    To vote, you've got to have an account and be logged in. Instead of having one vote per month, everyone can now vote on five entries. The votes go from one to five, so you'd vote 5 for the photo you like the most and 1 for the photo you like 5th best. This is to make it much harder for there to be a draw at the end of the month. On the night of the 28th/morning of the 29th of each month, the voting will close automatically and the winner will be shown on the site (and emailed to people if I set that up, though that'll probably be added later). In other words, the photo you like the most gets vote 5, the photo you like second best gets vote 4, etc.

Browsing Entries
    You can browse entries by user, by clicking on 'users' on the main navigation, or browse by month, by clicking on 'gallery' on the main nav. You don't need to be logged in to browse entries, voting and entry submission are the only areas which require a username and password.

Notes
    • No I haven't implemented thumbnail previews yet, they'll be appearing sometime during September for the gallery and user pages.
    • No, it's not going to move the competition away from the forums by having an external site. The reason people have to PM me to get an account is so that only forum members can enter.

Feel free to add your entries for this month, voting will start at the usual time (tonight, 1AM BST), unless there are any blatant flaws in the site or many people haven't got their entries on the new site.

If you have any problems with the new site, email me using admin@potm.webshaped.com, or grab me on MSN with nathREMOVETHIS@REMOVETHISwebshaped.com.

Cheers,
    Nath

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

You got PM :)

3. Nath

OK login details are going out now to everyone.

Glider, YGPM

4. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Active Member

great work on the site Nath, loads fast and easy to navigate :)

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Thanks!

A thumnail overview might come in handy, but I've read it's on the todo list, so I'm not complaing ;)

Just an idea (not feasable for this month tough), can you close the entry phase at the beginning of the voting phase? This makes it a bit more fair I guess. Because, if I vote 26th, and a great picture, which I like most, is added 28th, then I can't vote on that one anymore.

Great job tough!

6. Nath

Thanks J-Pepper, I've fixed a huge number of bugs after posting this thread though. :worried:

Voting's gonna start tomorrow night and go on until 1AM BST on the morning of the 29th, just to give everyone who isn't online at the moment a chance to get their entries on the voting site. Just to clarify, votes can't be cast at the moment cause the competition's still open. When it goes to voting, the new entry screen won't allow entries, and votes can be cast on the same page you view photos with. :thumb:

PMs are still going out, I've got about 10 more people to notify yet.

Edit: That's weird Glider, answered that while you were posting. :worried: But yeah, entries can be posted until I hit the big red button and then they get 'locked' so to speak until next month, when obviously entries can be posted for the new theme.

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Great minds think alike...

Maybe you should clarify the timeline each month somewhere... Something along the lines of:
    1st -> 25th: Take your pictures, chop them up and post them
    26th -> 29th: Voting time
    29th -> end of the month: Celebrating victory + recovery from the celebration, or drown the loss...

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

One request...

Please make the camera setting not required fields. I have no idea what my settings are and so I just put "auto" in all fields which isn't helpful to anyone. Ideally the camera make and model could be stored in the profile, but that's probably too much to ask.

It seems a bit much at first use, but I got it figured out so I guess I just need to get used to it. Nice work in any case

I'd like to thank you Nath for all the work you've put into the POTM and say that we appreciate it! :thumb:

9. Nath

Thanks for the feedback Cthippo, I'll be making changes to the site throughout the month based on what people want to see on there.

I'll leave the fields as required, since a blank field on the entry page could look like something to do with the site's broken, rather than it's been left blank intentionally. However, if you don't know/can't remember any settings, just stick 'Unknown' in there. One of the main things that needs to be added imho is automatic EXIF information reading, though, and that'll be one of the first features in there. Regarding adding camera details to the profile, it's in progress and I'll have finished that by some time later today.

Just a note for anyone who changed their email address last night before about 11PM BST - you might need to do this again to make it take effect. There was a slight bug so the email addresses had to be reset, however everything's working as it should now.

10. olv

olv he's so bright

jut right click the photo, go to properties and advanced and all the exif info is shown there.

11. Nath

It really is that easy, as olv says, and if you have the information there in your photos, it's hardly a huge amount of trouble to just type it in. Definitely helps others who want to learn from your photographs and settings, rather than reading 'Meh', or something similar. :blah:

12. Cthippo

Mine seems to get lost in the resizing process, but I can pull it from the original images. That said I'm not seeing a way to edit submissions, so unless I'm missing somthing It'll have to wait for next month.

13. olv

olv he's so bright

Don't use 'Save for web' then. i personally see no point to it as it's no better then using a normal method and strips the exif.

14. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Like the site.. simple, clean.. so far so good.

Now.. may I make a suggestion? You want people to vote for the images, and not for the photographer... so why not make it anonymous? Names of the author withheld until voting has closed? It works on other sites.

15. olv

olv he's so bright

bit pointless seeing as though everyone posts a thread with their entries on here first!

16. Nath

Few Updates. People who haven't yet looked at the site have had their entries added thanks to ozstrike, who took it upon himself to help out (cheers!), so everyone's entries should be on there now. All passwords have been sent out definitely now, if anyone else wants an account by all means PM me and I'll set it up.

Pookeyhead, as olv says, everyone posts a thread in the POTM subforum with their entry in anyway, so everyone knows who an entry is by before it's even been posted on the voting site. Unless you make people wait until the votes have closed to post threads, it's quite pointless.

Voting is now open. That means that entries can't be added/deleted, and you can vote for whichever your five favourite photographs are. Five being the best, one being the 5th best. Just so everyone knows, you can't vote on your own photos, which is why the voting menu doesn't appear on their pages. :)

Cheers,
    Nath

17. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I'd also like to take a moment to thank Nath and anyone else who's put time and effort into the POTM site (and the contest in general). The site looks great.

I think the addition of a thumbnail view will be great. I agree with Pookeyhead in that it would be nice to see an anonymous presentation of the images at voting time. Although each image preumably has a thread here on the Bit forums, I usually don't keep track of who made each photo. At voting time, presenting the images together in a gallery, without names, would make it easier to select from among them.

Again, I really appreciate all the time and effort you guys put into this. :thumb:

-monkey

18. Cthippo

Hear hear! :thumb:

19. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Voting done :rock:

20. Cthippo

Hey Nath, how does the vote count work? When you look at a picture and it says "This pic has recieved "x" votes", does that only count "5" votes? Also, how will the final results be displayed? Since each person who uses all their votes is assigning 15 "points" (5+4+3+2+1=15), will the final results show as "Picture X recieved 37 points"?

Just trying to climb the old learning curve here.

I use a program called "Photo Studio" that came with an old scanner for my photo editing and AFAIK it doesn't have a means of saving with the EXIF data. In fact, as old as it is and given what it was bundled for, it may not even recognize EXIF data. Basically, the lack of data is a limitiation of the software I use and no, I don't plan to upgrade just for the photo contest.