1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU power requirements?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harlequin, 25 Feb 2014.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

2. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

2x Corsair Hydro H55

2x NZXT G10 GPU Adaptor to mount All-in-one Water CPU Coolers onto VGA Cards

HEAVY OVERCLOCKS

Silent depending on fans you use

Last edited: 11 Mar 2014
  3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

There's a couple of issues with it dude. Firstly it's expensive to do it that way. NZXT have basically stolen Dwood's design

[​IMG]

Which is a bit naughty. I bought a Dwood bracket myself, it cost me £7. NZXT want something crazy like £30 per bracket...

Any way, whilst in theory your idea is a good one there are a couple of issues. Now the GPU core absolutely loves this method. Mine refused point blank to go over 64c in Furmark with the GPU clocked to a staggering 960mhz. At that clock (only one of my 480s would do it) I was beating stock 7970s in 3dmark 11.

However, the caveats. The radiator got hot. Not just hot like warm, but so hot you could barely touch it. In fact no, you couldn't touch it. When I say hot I mean like scorching hot. So hot that I worried about the longevity of the pump.

Then there's the fact that a H50 or equivalent doesn't have a very big radiator.. Which led me to conclude that you should really be using something like the H70 or H80 in order to make sure nothing goes wrong.

And it works out so expensive that it turns out to be a wasted exercise.

Any way, that pretty much sums up my experience :)

Ed. BTW Si, something for you to chase matey ;)

[​IMG]

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

need a new psu :( - under heavy gaming mine is drawing over 850watts measured at the wall and is shutting down and is peaking :(

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Have you tried playing with the voltage to find your GTX 480 minimum at stock clocks?

Pretty sure I got some spare EVGA High Flow Brackets compatible with reference GTX 480 if you want to experiment. Just need to dig them up! Also promise us some pretty pictures and I'll sort out the postage! :thumb:

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

HEAT

its definitely heat - the 1kw corsair power pack is fine but I still getting shut downs :(

7. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

It's your case, man. You need a good case with good cooling for GTX 480s.

You may also need to repaste the cards with some decent compound, given their age.