1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Power Supply, 2 x PCI-E

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ant1981, 26 Mar 2009.

1. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

Today I got my lovely new gaming graphics card, an XFX GeForce GTX260.

When I went to fit it, much to my suprise, I need a power supply with two seperate 6 pin power plugs.

I've searched online for one, but haven't found such specified in the listings for power supplies.

Anyone know of one?

2. ricickle

ricickle Reamer

if you already have 1 of the 6 pin power plugs then just use the molex to 6 pin adapter for the other one
    it comes with the card

3. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

Silly me, it does indeed come with the card. The quickstart manual didn't go any further, so neither did I.

Time to shut down and do it.

Thanks, you have saved me the expense of a new power supply, surely I owe you a beer :thumb:

4. ricickle

ricickle Reamer

Well just pour a pint in a jiffy bag and send me one :hehe:

5. chrizb

chrizb phpChess

Hi,

Having the same issue, but the molex to 6 pin adapter doesn't seem to provide enough power either, in fact my card came with the warning that that useage is not adviseable. SO whenever the XFX 260 GTX is displaying anything I get a wonderfull constant high pitched note, which clearly indicates that not enough power is available.

Bummer is I bought a new powersupply with the card, but it ended up not having enough adapters.

Any suggestions on how to proceed. I have a M3N-HT Deluxe Mempiep board. I would love to avoid buying another powersupply just because this one is one 6pin 12+V cable short of solution.

Thanks for any help/advice - as long as it is sensible.
    (I did flash bios to overcome the lack of AMD Phenom X4 support, and I can boot into vista64 assuming I wear earplugs, Power supply is a CIT 750UB)

ChrizB

6. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Pretty much any PSU that was manufacturered in the last year or so should have 2 x PCI-E plugs. Aslong as its a decent brand and not an el'generico cheapo thing.

8. trig

trig god's little mistake

it may be the psu, or actually, it may just be the card. several issues reported for the gtx 200 series with "talking capacitors". although it may be that it is not getting enough power, it is most likely just cheaper capacitors were used on this card and you should rma the card. try a different psu if you can

Last edited: 7 May 2009
  9. chrizb

chrizb phpChess

Thanks for that. I decided to try my mates powersupply (same wattage, but 2 dedicated 6 pins. That worked like a charm, so I bought an £80 powersupply and everything is good now. Thank you so much...I have to live with the waste of 1 powersupply. Given the trouble I had with the motherboard (bios fix before Phenom would work) I can only say....research, research, research your rig!

Lesson learned (again)

10. trig

thats interesting to hear. thanks for the info.

11. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

what psu did you have before?

12. trig

sup bbq.

said it was a cit 750ub. looks like a uk sold unit.

13. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

sup trig

14. chrizb

chrizb phpChess

quick update.

I am now on 800Watt PSU and interestingly it still complains when I run crysis in full detail at high res. So you eityher need a 1000PSU or my computer complains too early. Not sure what to do now :wallbash:

15. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Complains? How so?

16. chrizb

chrizb phpChess

It starts that high pitched note again when it runs into very high workloads.
    No slow down, but the "peep" is back - intermittendly. Not during normal operation, but during benchmarking or playing crysis at higher resolution with a lot of physics and explosions it pipes up (well I think it is actually the mobo that complains on its behalf? definitly a speaker noise.
    The core temperature doesn't rise above 45 during all of this, nor does the memory temp (4GB at 1066) - nothing is overclocked.

Thanks for the interest :)

17. bagman

bagman Minimodder

which 800w psu

18. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Could you post your entire system specs?

A decent 800W PSU would be more than enough for a GTX260, so either you've got a cheap el'generico 800W PSU that can't actually produce 800W and is putting your entire rig at risk.
    Or, its the capacitors, as someone stated before.

19. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

If it's not a beep, but more of a squeal, it's totally normally.

The power regulation chokes warm up, and the air underneath them is heated, expands and escapes, causing a high pitched noise. Most high end kit has this problem. If it's really bugging you, a little hot-glue round the base of the chokes seals them and prevents it happening.

Old CRTs are famous for this.

20. chrizb

chrizb phpChess

Thanks for that. Unfortunatly this is a full on beep from the case speaker. It is not a whine or a feep from the fan. It is a clear binary on/off thing and it is definitly not mechanical.