1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Powering TFT from PC PSU

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Simonsnet, 27 Aug 2004.

1. Simonsnet

Simonsnet What's a Dremel?

Someone mentioned on here a couple of days ago that most tft's run off 12v just like a standard molex from a pc PSU.

So, anyway, this gave me the idea of power my tft directly from my pc. I have a 480w Tagan PSU so power shouldn't be an issue.

At the moment my TFT plugs into a power brick and then a standard kettle lead plugs into that. So what about dispensing with both of those and plugging straight from TFT to PC PSU.

What I was thinking of doing was trying to get a 2m male-to-male cable with the same connector as currently plugs into the TFT (you know the type? difficult to discribe, so i won't bother). Then get a female connector to attach to my case and link onto a molex.

So the questions I need answering are below.

Does this make sense?
    Is it possible?
    Does anyone know where I could pick up those parts?

Thanks for the help guys. I'm not a modder really, but this just seems like something really simple that would make cable management much easier.

2. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

the problem lies in how many watts the screen sucks, I have a 15" at home that draws (max) 2a @ 12v

Power(watts) = Volts*Amps

thus

12x2 = 24watts

you need to work out if you can scarifice that many watts to save tyou carrying a powerbrick, but its technically feasable, you just need to observer polarity of the powercord.

3. Simonsnet

Simonsnet What's a Dremel?

24watts? thats acceptable. I have a chieftech 320w pcu that copes fine with an AI7, P4b 2.6ghz, 1gb Corsair Value Select PC3200, 9500pro, 250gb hdd, 200gb hdd, 120gb hdd. My main rig runs even less than that, and that has a 480w Tagan ffs.

So, yeah it'll cope with the tft no problems.

The main thing is to find where the hell to get the parts from. Pretty simple parts really, but I'm sure that not many places stock them.