1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Powerline adapter vs. 50m cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Synay, 1 Apr 2010.

1. Synay

Synay New Member

I have a live in job in the old hotel and the only internet I can get is the wireless hot-spot that's here. Problem is: I live 2 floors up from the router and though there are access points installed all over the hotel, I only get 2 bars (3 if I'm lucky but that always drops). As it is, connection is unstable and I want to connect myself directly to the router. Already spoke about this with our provider and they said I could do that no problem.

Now, what is better, to run 50 meters of ethernet cable or use a set of powerline adapters? I'm not after any serious speed, as the bandwith is always throtled to 2MB/s per user. I never had any experience with homeplugs and since those are so expensive I'm a bit reluctant to buy them, so if someone could please tell me are those worth in my situation? I mean, this is rather large hotel and I am bit far from the router and 2 floors up on top of that. Any thoughts?

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Ethernet will always be better.
    Are the floors on the same electricity phase? If not homeplug won't work (unless you've got the very, very expensive 3 phase versions)

3. ed_456

ed_456 The Artful Bodger

If you get the permissions you might as well go for the ethernet cable. It will be more stable than the adaptors. I ran some homeplugs that work on a similar concept and they worked fine for about 2 years, and then they just couldn't handle anything above 0.03Mb/s, so I switched to wireless. The plugs are a good concept, but if ethernets an option, you might as well do it properly.