1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Practical Cooling Question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ionpcs, 12 Feb 2004.

1. ionpcs

ionpcs Banned

Well, here's the scenario, you're building a computer for a customer:
    EPoX 8rda3+
    AthlonXP 2400+

He's not a gamer - a movie watcher - a high-speed internet user - but he wants a computer anyway. I bought the retail version of the CPU as to obtain a warranty in case this guy has a habit of killing computer parts - however, on the warranty claim it says that the use of any heatsink and fan other than the setup that came with the processor voids the warranty. First of all: is this true? I bought a Zalman Copper Heatsink and Fan setup for the computer but to tell you the truth, it's louder than the stock cooling.

Second of all: is the heatsink and fan that comes with a retail AMD cpu good enough? I mean, of course they're not handing out pieces of **** like candy down at amd, but this is for a customer who probably doesn't know the first thing about treating a computer right. He will probably put it in a very tight cabinet with virtually no air circulation, and I want to be sure that my cooling is good enough for it to never reach shut-off temps. As of now I have only installed the stock heatsink/fan and a single 80mm fan at the back (exhaust).

What do you think?

2. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Very well formed question :thumb: Anyway, theres more going on here that you need to take into consideration. First off, what is the temp with the stock hsf on, and what is it with the Zalman on? Wich is lower? Does noise matter to you? Are you going to be putting in more cooling into the case? Are you going to be overclocking at all? And if so, test what the temp's are with both hsf's. Are you trying to go for cool factor, or just usability? Tese are all questions of witch YOU and only you can answer. And btw, stock hsf's work OK, and they seem to compete with the mid to high end air coolers out on the market (you can find many cases where people have compared the two and found very little (if any) differance). With the warranty, you really don't have to worry about it, so long as the hsf looks like it has been used, they won't be able to tell the difference. Hope that helps. :dremel: Now get to it ;)

3. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

A lot depends on which AMD heatsink you've got.
    The one that came with my 2600+ had a nicely finished copper slug in the base and very fine, skived fins.
    It easily compares with the Zalman 7000cu that I ended up replacing it with.

Other stock HSs weren't nearly as nice as the one I got...apparently AMD has several different designs...

4. fuzzball172

fuzzball172 What's a Dremel?

fire the thing up, get something running on it, and check the temps. If all looks ok with the stock HSF on.. leave it, keep the spares and charge him... (unless he is ur friend) am assuming u r not in this for the fun of building puters, and no doubt he will pester u for support (which he won't want to pay for) so make some money now, offset the support costs

5. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

The stock coolers come with the cpu for a good reason, that they are perfectly sufficient and fine for what the majority of people will want.

I see no problem with you using the stock cooler in his computer. All this huge airflow guff that these forums seem to revolve around isn't really necessary. I'd suggest the computer will be perfectly fine with the stock cooler and whatever fans are already in the power supply and perhaps case. Maybe you could do a bit of testing by running it for a while stuffed in a likely place (I'm assuming you were suggesting he'd be using one of those desks that crams the base unit into the smallest space possible.

In short, stock will rock (groooooooaaaaaaaaaan)

6. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

The on I got with MY 2600+ was a bit disapointing, instead of a nice copper slug (which i expected) there was what looked like an aluminium plate screwed to the bottom of it, its not overheating so its safe...... for now. I was thinking of putting on my old Tt volcano 7

7. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll What's a Dremel?

*plug for stock heatsink* yeah, the AMD HSF that came with my xp2000+ works just fine. and like you said, this pc won't be seeing any major use. So my advice, just test it with the stock heatsink and as long as it isn't too loud, and temps. are reasonable, let it be.

8. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

The stock heatsink that came with my 2500+ was fairly nice. Had a copper slug in the middle of it. Of course it only had a 60mm fan on it. I went and bought a 60mm -> 80mm fan adapter, slapped it on there with an 80mm Thermaltake SmartFan, lapped the bottom and put it on my wife's 1700+ Palomino to replace the Volcano 7 I had on there. I'd say it works wonderfully. The temps on that box are around 35' idle and maybe 45' full load, that's with only 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan. Actually better than what the volcano 7 was doing...and it's a lot lighter (less strain on the socket).

In case anyone is wondering...I put a Thermalright SLK 900 on the 2500+. :D

9. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

My unlocked barton came with a fully copper heatsink, with only a stainless (?) surround :) they were mint. Ive just seen a new 2500+ hs yesterday and it was totally alu with a metal screw on base... i guess they realised that people werent buying there top chips so they decided to not give out cooling that coulld get them to 3200+ speeds easily ;)

10. Ricx

Ricx What's a Dremel?

Doesn't AMD have a list of certified heat sinks you can use? I'm pretty sure I read one. It had a lot of Coolermaster HSF's on there. Unfortunately I also remember that Zalmans were NOT on the list :confused: