1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-Modded Cases

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Lazy, 18 Apr 2003.

?

What do you think of pre-modded cases

1. I love them

43 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I don't like them

242 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. No opinion, the fence is comfy

145 vote(s)
    33.7%
  1. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

I hate pre-modded cases!!! If anything gets done to a case I think it should be left up to us modders . . . With everyone coming up with pre-modded cases, modded cases are starting to be like items you could by at any corner radio shack store.

2. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

Most of you apparently think premodded cases are crap, but I also see a lot of caveats -- LED fans, some precut windows, etc. Where do you draw the line? I think just about anyone can do a window mod better and cheaper than the ready made brands.

I think of premods like I do of cars like the PT Cruiser, the latest Thunderbird, the Viper and a lot of other fanciful autos on the road. Some folks want style and are willing to pay for it.

A manufacturer's idea of a beautiful case design is nothing new. The plain vanilla LianLi was once a pretty fancy case, compared to all the plastic and steel ones available. LianLi had aluminum and brushed at that. Then they anodized them. Now they got windows in the side. It's all part of the evolution of the once standard case.

Alienware helped promote modding and modding helped promote Alienware. Now they have what I think is one of the most stylish stock cases on the market. I wouldn't buy one, but I bet they make a killing on it anyway.

I like modifying stock cases. I think I did a nice job on my first one, an Antec, and I'm kinda in the middle of working on a Cooler Master that will be very pretty. But I also like doing something unusual, like the NeXT Cube I am customizing (using parts of 2 cubes, some different colored plexi and a nice piece of Cherrywood). I hope sometime I'll be able to create a case from scratch too.

But I sure don't put down those who find premodded cases desirable. There's a definite market for them. Some of them have been influenced by some of the great modders out here -- some modders are influenced by premods they've seen.

It's all good.

Grump

3. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

Pre-leded fans are ok, it can be be a real pain in the ass to have to make your own led fans . . .

4. Atticus

Atticus What's a Dremel?

I bought a pre-modded case (Scan's silver case w/ window).

I wanted a nice looking case on a very small budget. I forgot the phrase "you get what you pay for"...

I've only had it 2 months, and I'm away to mod it beyond recognition, along with my other 2 cases, in a mass themed mod project :)

5. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

I agree with Will & Grump..... Most pre modded cases are pretty nasty.... but pre-modded products and add ons for cases can only be a good thing. They allow people without the time, skill or tools to personalise their cases, bringing together a collection of pre-modded/self-modded bits to create their own unique look with their case (without the risk of borking their brand new 160 quid CoolerMaster).

The sale of pre-modded bits (including the sometimes nasty cases) further expands the the 'modding' scene into the mainstream which makes it increasingly more viable for companies to make and sell more hardware for the benefit of the hardcore modding community.

6. pritsey

pritsey Minimodder

I wonder how many people who say that they hate pre-modded have pre-cut lian li side panels.....

The whole modding scene seems so elitist......

I've seen the same thing in model submarines. Those that can't afford (or can't justify) spending as much as others get ridiculed.

I bought a pre-modded case a while ago. It's got a window in it and plexi on the front. I've put a couple of blow holes in the top and stealthed the drives and as far as I can tell, it's pretty much what the majority of Lian Li or Coolermaster owners do most of the time anyway. So really - does it matter?

7. jetsetjimbo

Your right pritsey, it dosen't matter..... it's the taking part that's important, being part of a community.

If pre-modded case let people who'd otherwise be stuck with beige boxes get a system that they're proud to own, or even just them wet their apptite for modding then it's gotta be a good thing.

In my experience of anything like this the pioneers of a scene always tend to be a bit 'snobby' about people who jump on the 'bandwagon' with a quick fix commercial alternative as the can't/won't/don't want to sort it all out themselves from scratch..... it's just the way it is, artistic integrity and all that.....

/Awaits flaming for defending the pre-modded community :worried:

8. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

Don't like them. They are killing the cozy modding community IMO. We use to be few and far inbetween. Now anyone who has money can claim they are a modder. Which they are NOT. It bugs me really, but what are you going to do about it?

9. pritsey

pritsey Minimodder

How far do you take this then?

I know that somebody else mentioned before about other things.....LED fans - I have some. Should I have bought a black fan then resin cast the parts to make a clear version and added LED's afterwards?

How about LCD's?

I bought a parallel bare LCD and wired it up myself. If somebody cuts their own window but has a pre-wired Matrix Orbital LCD that they just plug in, then who's less of a modder? Pre-cut window and self wired LCD or Self cut window and pre-wired LCD????

Do I score more modding points for cutting wholes in things or for soldering. It seems that a lot of people have double standards on here.

10. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

I think some things modders just can't do and wouldn't be viable. The clear fan is an excellent example.
    I've modded my fans and put LED's in them, but I don't have the resources to make a clear fan. I don't consider a clear fan a premod at all. It may sound a little hypocritical, but it's true.
    LCD's are usually bought pre-wired because of the software support that comes with it. As far as mounting it, I never use their mounting plates, I always do custom work.

11. Lithium

Lithium super spunk

I got to go with NOT pre-modded cases. Got an Antec Plus view and yeah it came with the window already but doing a whole lot more to it...exciting:clap:

12. olv

olv he's so bright

how many people with pre-modded cases actually go around saying "look at me i am a modding god check out my amazing case"? i think nobody does that... i think what bothers people is that fact that pre modded cases are unoriginal, mass produced cases that as a whole look crap. Yes pre modded cases allow people to opt for a non beige case but there are a trillion cases out there that are not beige and do not cost more then a premodded case.

13. Izdawiz

Izdawiz What's a Dremel?

What if your not that much of a modder, but can work wonders with water cooling. I feel that I dont have time to work on a case as much as on a waterblock. So prefer the pre-modded stuff it gives me something good to look at when im done with a rig; and its not plain.

14. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

I dont get this to be honest, like how can it be bad for the modding communituy in general. once every PC comes with a window, lighted fans, CCFL's, etc. we'll just have to think of new, more original stuff. thats a good thing as far as i'm concerned, just speeds up evolution. i personally wouldn't buy a pre-modded case, as the reason i mod is im a creative person, i dont just mod PC's, i do guitars and other things. i like making stuff. but does that mean somone should be ridiculed for wanting a sexy case, but not have an interest in creating one? as long as they dont claim to have done it themselves i dont see a problem. i wonder how many people with clear cases built it them selves? and what the ones who went and bought one think of pre-modded cases? sorry for the rant, but this kind of thing annoys me, it happens every where, especially music tastes, but thats neither here of there. live and let live. :hip: anything is better than a beige box, wether u made it or bought it.
    so yeah, now my rants over. I voted with the fence. :D

15. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Well im on the side of hating premodded. Sure if you have no time /money/etc for your own mods, you might buy one , but think of the hundreds maybe even thousands of other people who have the SAME case. For example, take a skyhawk, there are loads of people witht them, and the only mod that half of them have done is plugged in a premade CCFl kit, so they are still virtually the same. Also there are computer shops which sell all of the s**t premodded cases, for instance i know someone who bought a premodded from a comp shop, and it has NO rear fan mounts, i mean what a load of BS. I think premodded is becoming the new beige, and its not good :grr: :grr: :nono:

The question has to asked about certain pre-mods though. If you were to get your case painted and blowholed' then at least it would be unique.

On the side of the LED fans and LCD's, ill think you will find that its virtually impossible for a 'normal' bunch like us withou many ££££'s to make these ourselves professionaly so it isnt really invalid hating premodded cases but buying LED fans.

My 2p

16. jetsetjimbo

Well said Shuriken :thumb:

17. NOTPENTIUM

NOTPENTIUM What's a Dremel?

Well I have a clearPC case, where does this fall in? I am a modder, though. Most of my mods to now have been for practicallity, more than eye candy. You know, things like re-drilling the PSU mounting holes to invert the PSU to show off the inner goodies. I did sleeve it myself and mounted the CCFL's and inverters. And it looks darn good. On my web server I relocated all the switches and controls to the rear to keep away those "hmmm... what does this do?" fingers. Those are mods, while they are not fantastic or astonishing. And have any of you thought of it this way? It's like the guy with the car that is the fastest thing in the city but it stays in primer. He opted to spend his money on the heart of the thing rather than all that flashiness and bright paint, but will run circles around the guys that wanted to look good first. They jumped out and spent loads on a big shiny body and had nothing left to make it run like it looks. The guy always gets chuckled at...but no one will race him. I have no real problem with pre-mod but i do wish these guys would use their money to build bad-ass running systems and then get 'em a case down the road instead of buying these $300 or so cases only to have to skimp on high performance components just to impress people. Kinda like having a mclaren F1 with a V6 in it. :eyebrow: just isn't right

18. mushky

mushky gimme snails

the term "pre-modded" bugs me. I mean, if it rolls of the factory line like it is, then it has not been modified. :/ go figure...

But having said that I think some of the stuff available might be good for some people without any access to tools because they can be expensive.

Also, the whole "pre-modded" :shudder: market might go a little way to pushing real modders further into new ideas and things.

my 2 sanded down and bolted together cents.

19. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

I guess my idea of modding is a little different than most of you have explained. Most of my "mods" fit a purpose for me that the manufacturer of the case hadn't thought of, more of specializing or customizing my cases and bits. I like having a case that noone else can go buy from the store. Some of the "premods" are cool looking enough, but I did mine from pieces of pencil sharpeners, Broken old hardware and some angle aluminum and an aluminum push plate from home depot. Customized.

P.S. My main case is a PC65 (That means it came with the clear side panel) and it cost me less than a pc60 from anywhere else, so I am happy with the "Pre-modded" side window, as it WAS the stock version of my case, but I have definately not left it that way, tinted, cut and etched now, so sue me for buying a windowed side, it was because of finances not "cool factor".

There are some pretty sweet looking cases out there now right off the shelf, that just raises the bar a bit when I do a custom one, and sell it right next to the factory pre-mod for twice the money.

20. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Could be useful though, as I see a certain cause and effect going on here..

cause : premodded cases hit the market
    effect : modders rack their brains trying to think of even more amazing mods

end result : even better pics for the rest of us to gawp at in awe :)