1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Pressure.Can by ATL

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by AttilaP, 4 Feb 2021.

1. AttilaP

AttilaP Minimodder

Long time no see...
    Finally got a bit of work done.
    I designed a really fancy cable cover, sent it out to get some quotes but the only reply I've got was over £250 so had to get back to the drawing board. Still struggling to find a decent value acrylic cutter who would do some bits for me, but for the time being I've got some parts 3d printed.
    IMG_20210507_172922_resized_20210507_074141030.jpg
    As always made a mistake, with the cover as it comes slightly too close to the front, but if I lift it up then it fits.
    Got some plain acrylic sheet to give a bit of color.
    IMG_20210513_172709_resized_20210513_064329708.jpg
    I haven't decided if I should cover the side grills as well or just the front.
    IMG_20210513_172727_resized_20210513_064330102.jpg

Unfortunately the glue run a bit over to the front of the grill and discolored it so might have to do some correction on it.
    Also will have a top part for the cover, but thats still in the making.
    Got an extra hdd mount and had to realize the mounting screwholes are a bit off, so had to do a bit of filing. Made spacers for them as well. Decided to drill through them instead is using the thread as its just tooooo much :D

Attached Files:

Cheapskate and Karrek like this.
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'm not sure where you are, but Delvie's does laser cutting now.

3. AttilaP

AttilaP Minimodder

The other side of the pond :)

4. AttilaP

AttilaP Minimodder

A bit of progress after a week off being sick :(
    So managed to get myself a modular PSU. It even fits the color scheme:
    IMG_20210529_193749_resized_20210601_064623308.jpg

To run the cables down to the motherboard I decided to cut the steel panel under, nothing fancy but should be enough to get all the cables through and it will be behind the cable cover I've got printed.
    IMG_20210601_171657_resized_20210601_064622874.jpg

I realized I cannot finish my loop without the actual motherboard as I don't know where the cpu will be. Unless they are always in the same spot?
    Was considering to use flexi tube for the last part, but decided against it, wanna keep it copper all the way.

A friend also designed a logo for me, which I will incorporate in the build somehow :)
    001_ROUNDED_JPEG.jpg

Cheapskate likes this.
  5. dan297

dan297 Modder

Logo is looking good. :thumb:

CPUs are always in the same spot, but not at the exact location relative to your mobo datum (bottom left mounting hole).
    The location varies from mobo to mobo, at least from manufacturer to manufacturer.

But if you have a decent picture directly from the top of the mobo you can copy paste it into something like Corel, or even Word, re-size it to 30.5x24.4mm and then take measurements of the location of the 4 CPU cooler holes.
    They are more important, as they define the position of your CPU water block.

If there is no good pic on your mobo manufacturers web site, check out Caseking.
    They have a gallery for each mobo they sell and the second or third one always is directly from the top...
    The distortion is neglectable, you should be acurate within 1 or 2 mm (bending range :grin:)

6. AttilaP

AttilaP Minimodder

So until I figure out what hardware will it get, I can't do much with that :(
    Originally I wasn't fussed, had an old office pc combo just to get it work, but the more time I spend on it the more I want to have something decent in it :geek:
    Well, there is plenty more details to work on, leave that one for the end :naughty:

7. AttilaP

AttilaP Minimodder

Pro tips 101: don't sand acrylic unless you want to spend a whole afternoon cleaning the garage :duh:
    IMG_20210608_164038_resized_20210608_103756953.jpg

The_Crapman likes this.
  8. Cheapskate

Just wait 'til you blow the neon green snot out. That's really fun. I do all my sanding indoors, so there's a constant layer of white dust to clean.
    ...Of course, I don't power sand much. I save that for shaping.

9. AttilaP

AttilaP Minimodder

Well, since I didn't have any time to get any progress done, I thought to do a Throwback Thursday on this lovely Wednesday afternoon :lol:
    So browsing my PC I found 2 pictures of my first ever modding attempt. It was about 25 years ago and all I used was a coping saw and a needle file :)
    Also it had 4 custom switches at the front bay, linked to 4 LED's and 4 fans. Inside there was one of those cold cathode light tubes and had a plexi to keep the dust outside which was way ahead of the time, we only had the lovely cream solid cases. And no internet, just maybe on a 56k modem :
    Hope you din't mind the mixed content also it's a bit PG rated;)
    19072009150.jpg
    20072009188.jpg

10. Cheapskate

Interesting choice...
    Coping saw and needle files? Is your current rough-cutting work due to the trauma of filing this out? :lol:

11. AttilaP

AttilaP Minimodder

Scarred for life :)

12. AttilaP

AttilaP Minimodder

So finally afte rmonths of no time, yesterday had a half an hour in the garage :clap:

Managed to finalize the power button :thumb:
    IMG_20210823_171844.jpg
    Can't decide to leave the paint splashes on or clean it, but i will come to that later.
    Now I'm in the process of gathering some money to buy some components and get on with the actual build...
    Maybe another year or two....:idea:

13. Cheapskate

Is it 'momentary on'?

14. AttilaP

AttilaP Minimodder

yes it is. It was a nightmare to adopt the switch. had to file down the shaft as it's not a cylinder, more like a baseball bat shape, then cut a thread, then make an adapter to fit the cutout on the panel... but I really wanted to keep the original look of the switch