1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Pressure for investigation into Wi-Fi health risks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 Apr 2007.

1. Salazaar

Salazaar What's a Dremel?

Well I don't know about you lot but I'm off to live in a lead lined cave at the bottom of a mine shaft so I can be away from all the radiation coming from my computer, TV, phone, the satellites, radio masts, power stations, ipods, Cornwall (radon in the granite), microwaves, electric trains, french neutron bombs, crutons and x-ray machines.

2. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Can't be much worse then exhaust fumes from automobiles...

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

This is from people who teach kids. These are meant to be learned individuals who are intelligent and logical.

Seriously.....I just want the nukes to fly. If they all die with me, I die happy.

4. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

This one?
    http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

I work at a secondary school in Cornwall as an IT Technician. We have a wireless network to allow our teachers to roam the premises with their laptops. Despite the sensationalistic wording in their article, I doubt anyone will even comment on this at work.

Even if we did switch off the wireless network, CRTs, lights etc.. and confiscate all the student's mobile phones, it wouldn't have any effect on radio signals within the school. Despite the fact that we're in line of sight for television, mobile and satellite communication systems... what about background radiation from space? Iir, tuning an old TV to a dead channel allows you to pick this up.

Last edited: 23 Apr 2007
  5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

wired is soo much easyer to work with then wireless, but wireless it more usefull if you have a laptop

6. Charles1

Charles1 What's a Dremel?

Its tons of bull. Just old people who have nothing else to do than get into other peoples business and make such claims. I myself have everythign wireless have 5 pc's wireless that are on 24/7. So all in all no health risk. You have bigger health rish with dust in your house than wi fi will cause.

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it is just some people wasting some cash.... nothing out of the ordinary. :wallbash:

8. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

The way I see it, anything can kill you, and to be honest, lifes a terminal STD anyway...might aswell live it doing what you want, and not wondering about what can and can't kill you...

9. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

QFT

It's when the studies erroneously attribute health issues to wi-fi and start shutting it down that it starts to become less cash-wasting and more imposition on freedoms.

10. tacticus

tacticus What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 24 Apr 2007
  11. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

Well considering a cell phone left in your pants pocket all day every day can lower your sperm count by up to 30% (not permanently), I think they are justified in investigating health effects related to wireless transmission technologies. I think it would be better if it weren't worded the way it is, and if they investigated cell phones and other wireless technologies as well.

12. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

With all the kids carrying cell phone anyway, the issues associated with wireless are not actually worth investigating for the reasons mentioned.

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'm thinking of standard home use equipment of b/g rating, which is what most schools would probably buy because they are cheaper and operate within the 2.4GHZ range (that's what my school used at least)

14. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Or power lines and cancer. It seems to me like a lot of money is wasted on these things because people think that some anecdotal evidence constitutes a solid link and don't realise that there are plenty of other explanations. A man had a headache after they installed the Wi-Fi? What about all the high-frequency sound that crappy power packs put out? I had a wired router that really hacked me off until I fixed it because it made a terrible whining noise non-stop.

You'll get a healthy dose of radiation from your mobile phone, fluorescent lamps, CRT monitors and televisions. Wi-Fi isn't going add anything big to the deal. Furthermore, microwave radiation is non-ionising, meaning there shouldn't be any direct risk of cancer or anything related.

15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

My +1 T-shirt is all the protection I need.

16. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

There was a woman on Radio 4 (I think) last night who said she had a mobile but doesn't use it because of health risks.

I felt like screaming at her "Why have a mobile phone then?"

If people are really worried about this stuff then they should go and live in the woods in the middle of Russia.

17. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

god i hate health and safety morons we have had radio for about 100 years now has there ever been a look into this? its just plain stupid. one day were not allowed to eat red meat the next its ok one day were not allowed to eat eggs the next eggs have cancer curing properties.

could someone tell them

ITS EASY GET SOME F*****G EXERCISE EAT A BALANCED DIET AND YOU WILL LIVE TO A RIPE OLD AGE FFS

Edit: oh and keep your mind active instead of watching the mindless drivle on tv that i bet most of these busybodies watch

Last edited: 24 Apr 2007
  18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Reading bit-tech every day = ripe old age :D

19. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

So if I just get another 3 phones I won't need that pesky vasectomy that they won't give me anyway as I don't have kids and might change my mind someday. Like hell I will. Sweet. Carphone warehouse here I come (no pun intended). Mind you, a couple of bricks would be cheaper :dremel: ouch.

20. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

I work as a network tech in a secondary school, we have quite a few access points but we never bothered creating 100% coverage as with a/b/g technology in the old architecture it would take so many access points it would cost too much...

We haven't had any complaints from teachers, pupils or parents and I hope it stays that way :wallbash:

Tags: Add Tags