1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Prey demo is out

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 22 Jun 2006.

1. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

after completing the single player all i can say is - awesome
    the GFX are amazing, really really good, i was running max setting on my x1900xt and (1280x1024 - no widescreen support)
    if they added widescreen support i recon it would be awesome :)

2. quack

quack Minimodder

As typical for a Doom 3 based game for some reason my audio quality is awful. Everything crackles. It's really irritating. At least it didn't keep cutting out like in Quake 4 and require an s_restart to get it back.

Apart from that, I loved the demo. The walk on walls thing was great fun. I love how enemies obey gravity again when you kill them, and it was a real nice touch for the jukebox in the bar to start playing Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear The Reaper when the alien ship started sucking everything up.

I am looking forward to playing the full game when it comes out.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Id suggest crappy soundcard support tbh. HD audio works fine.

4. killingtime

killingtime What's a Dremel?

i thought it was well good, and i dont know why but the boxes and portals where you could see a different area through them were really entertaining. haha plus it looks very nice really, and making him throw up was fun. weapons are quite classy, fighting the rejected dead or whatever was a bit lame, but what can you do.

5. yahooadam

the gfx in this game were emense IMO, and some of the stuff they did was really cool, like teh teleporter things (boxs and archs) but if you looked at the other side it was like a box
    the 3d gamplay is really really cool IMO

6. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

It seems to me very reminicient of a UT2k4 mod I've played. Can't remember what it was called tho, and I don't have my collection with me atm tho I'm sure I've played something with a red indian at the main character and I'm sure it had a mechanic at least similar to spirit walk.

I like prey tho, I'm looking forward to the full version.

[edit] The mod was Damnation. Turns out the indian wasn't /the/ main character, but was a playable character.
    /me re-installs UT2k4 to play old mods :D

7. Maniac618

Maniac618 What's a Dremel?

Fear's engine is a lot more edgy / linear and non curvy compared to the Doom 3 engine. Doom 3'sengine allows for some nice curves in the architecture and level design.

8. yahooadam

the source engine doesnt allow curves either - seems weird to me
    1 thing that did impress me in prey was the faces, they look really good IMo

9. c0d3_z3r0

c0d3_z3r0 What's a Dremel?

I thought prey was an awesome game, I played through it 3 times the day after it came out, I can't wait to play the full version.

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Ok, now I've played it... very mixed thoughts. The interactivity with the environment (in the bar at the beginning, at least) is pretty cool, and goes a bit further than most games do. It's fun turning on all the faucets in the ladies' room :) AI sucks, graphics weren't bad considered how smoothly it ran (FRAPS wasn't working right, but I was getting tearing so 60+ FPS, at 1600x1200) but actually having widescreen work would have been nice. IIRC, Quake 4 had the exact same issue (select 16:9 or 16:10 but no WS res options). Real swearing added some realism, but it strated to reach a point where it seemed like swearing just for the sake of doing so. Freakish gravity was outright nauseating at times, though it made for a pretty cool effect. Character models, human at least, were pretty good, though certainly don't have the expression that the Source engine delivers, even if they seemed marginally better textured.

I don't think I'll be buying the full version though. Decent concept, but I've had enough "aliens are trying to take over the world, pump them full of lead"-type games for a while.

Tags: Add Tags