1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prey

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Jul 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Just been playing the demo of this, looks pretty decent but it's not really my style, too spaced out for me but was fun and those portals are cool :)

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I really should get round to buying this as I loved the demo, It's great to see a game that isnt yet ANOTHER fantasy or WW2 game but it's still a re-hash of doom3 really :/

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I think this is the kind of game, where even the developer knows that there is hardly any story or character development, so they just make it as wacky and fun with loads of silly additions as possible... Like the running arround on a little ball inside a box.. i mean! WFT? That made no sence, and its like they just decided to do it, so what the hell, why not. It was fun!

5. fathom17

fathom17 What's a Dremel?

I've played the demo on xbox 360 on a highdef screen and its looks absolutely gobsmacking! Apart from the graphics side the portal side to the gameplay really adds depth. The changing of gravity vectors really add another dimension to the gameplay. Its really interesting looking through the portal and seeing the enemy crawling along the ceiling.

6. gargoyle

gargoyle What's a Dremel?

Talk about editorial drift. "gives the lie to that earlier, utterly fallacious comparison.." Wow...it must be a good review, he uses long words and he knows what a soliloquy is.

I mean really, I know he's trying hard but could this reviewer take himself more seriously? Unclench, it's an FPS review for god's sake.

7. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

i don't know how to even pronounce that word! It must be a good review! and it was..

8. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Prey isn't really all that. The portal stuff is pretty neat, but you do get the impression that the game was built around that technology. There are numerous puzzles that involve you working out which portals to walk through in order to walk on the correct part of the wall or ceiling to progress through the level.

Even with all that, I completed it with around 7 1/2 hours of gameplay.

Its one saving grace is the soul hunting stuff when you die. Much better than constantly saving and reloading.

Other than that, I'd suggesting skipping it until it turns up in a bargain bin.

9. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

So it it preydictable ?

Mwahahah

10. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

"channelling his Jedi dad's deified talents"

err it's his grandfather.. and I have to say the game is alot better than this review.

Where's the benchmarks? Far as I can tell it seems the reviewer only played the demo. Not your usual standard Bit-Tech - not impressed at all

Last edited: 19 Jul 2006
  11. Tim S

Tim S OG

Where do you get that impression? The review was completed by a freelancer who has played through both the Xbox 360 and PC versions of the game, making your claims completely false. Personally, I think he is more-than-qualified to review the game.

We were unable to source our own copy for graphics benchmarking and thus we didn't just run the benchmarks with the demo. This is because it is quite possible that the demo doesn't represent the performance of the gold code - we've seen similar things in the past when comparing Demo performance to Gold Code performance.

The screenshots were handled internally, and were taken from the demo.

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Great review, I'd been considering Prey and now it's been moved to the "buy it if you ever see it cheap" list in my head. I liked the bit at the end where the reveiwer went into detail about the sound.

Oh and requesting Click-for-Big™ pics please :D

13. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

Sorry Tim thats just the impression I got after he makes such silly mistakes as Jedi Day when talking about your grandfather and he doesn't seem to have played the whole game as no mention of the great boss battles and really clever puzzles later on. But it was just the impression I got.

However the missing benchmarks is a shame as thats one thing that a Bit-tech review used to have to make it different. If the reviewer is going to make mistakes I'll read games reviews elewhere that are better written. You couldn't source a copy? Why not it's out on retail.

Sorry it's just my opinion that this review for a number of reason wasn't up to the quality I've come to expect from you lot.

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've spoken to him and he has admitted that it was a mistake he made - I have made corrections. I was only involved in the review during the editing stages last night and then again when I got to the office at 8am this morning - it's not something that I was likely to spot, having not played the game myself yet.

15. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

I don't know what the heck is going on,but the articles are getting increasly hard to read. While I appreciate a flourish in the english language, this is just obscene. The game review itself, before we get on to benching and closing remarks, is REMARKABLY difficult to read. This is not, I assure you, due to incompetence on my part. I read alot, reviews, technical stuff and the occaisonal book. I emplore you to try to read your own articles from our viewpoint and see that some of the complex structures you use in your writing lend to a very difficult experience for the reader.

But I still love ya bigZ.

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I agree. Mr. William seems to have digested not only a dictionary, but a thesaurus too! Certainly made for difficult readabilityness in some areas :)

17. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

Also, if this was a review, I'd appreciate some kind of summary at the end. I'm not sure what to think of the game after reading that review.

18. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

While well written it did have me skipping paragraphs. I don't want to read a novel. I don't want fluff. I don't want "goblets of tears fell upon her silky soft cheek while she held him in licentiousness."

So it was good, just like fluffanutter :D

19. Houck

Houck What's a Dremel?

better than Doom!

20. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Tommy thinks so too, as he makes mention of it as he progresses through the alien ship :)

Tags: Add Tags