1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Printer question canon MP640 - USB and Wirelss?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nycoy, 6 Jul 2010.

1. Nycoy

Nycoy 1st Time Builder

Hi folks. I can't find a clear answer on this so thought I'd see if anyone here uses this printer and knows for sure...

The booklet with the Canon MP640 printer mentions that you can't use wireless and wired networks.

I want to connect the printer via USB to my main desktop in my "office" room, but utilise wireless for my other laptops computers in the house. There is no specific "hybrid" set up mentioned in the user booklet where a USB AND wireless connection is explained - the book covers a USB or Wireless set up.

So is this set up possible?

And if so, is it just a case of, I assume, setting up the PC-USB-Printer option initially and then installing the wireless "option" on my Laptops?

If anyone has any direct experience of this printer in this configuration or one of the same MP range, please let me know.

Many thanks,
    Richard

2. varkanoid

varkanoid Professional Dribbler

why dont you just try it and see if no one can provide a response ?

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Easy.
    Share printer on machine that it's connected to via usb.
    Map the printer on the laptops to that PC.

4. Nycoy

Nycoy 1st Time Builder

Solution update

Just in case anyone else has the same question...

It seems to work having my desktop connected via USB and my laptop via wi-fi. I haven't used it extensively eg. scanning etc, but the main requirement to be able to print via USB or wi-fi works.