1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Prison Architect

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by benji2412, 7 Mar 2013.

1. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

I've just started playing this in anticipation for Sim City (it looked pretty decent and it's fresh) and I absolutely love it, despite the few bugs that are there.

Does anyone else play at all? What are your experiences/tips?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I played a while ago in the alpha/beta (whichever we're up to!), but a couple of bugs put me off. Need to pick it up again really.

That said, I really enjoyed it - as with everything from Introvision.

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I've got the Alpha, but I only play after a series of builds has gone by to allow a bigger difference in terms of features each time. I've been impressed at how it is all coming together, although being an Alpha it is riddled with bugs!

4. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I tried the Alpha a while ago. I absolutely loved it, not many bugs either, but it was just far too early. It needed so much more depth to be worthwhile. So I've decided to just ignore it until it's released. Can't wait though.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I actually played it again the other day. I like the changes that've been made since I last played (Alpha 1/2). I especially like being able to turn prisoners arrival off for the first day or two, although that basically seems to be easy mode.

Still wondering about the lifespan of the game, though. I mean - I don't know about you guys, but once you get a pretty good "core" prison going you can pretty much run through the lot blindfolded. Perhaps it's just because of the alpha state.

6. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Yep that's an issue for me too, and I had the same problem with Theme Park, Theme Hospital, SimCity etc. There are possible solutions though. For example in Tropico I liked how they had a nice set of missions which provided various challenges, like being on an island that had bad natural resources, but was pretty so you had to focus on tourism. I'm sure Prison Architect could do similar stuff.

Hope so anyway.

7. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

How is this game now? The more that I look at it the more that I want to buy it!

8. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

It's the only game on my "want list" right now. It does look good, right up my street.

Sense makes me wait for release and reviews, buying it now with all the bugs will just ruin the fun and novelty for me.

Fingers crossed for a decent game.

Last edited: 28 Dec 2013
  9. longweight

It's brilliant, still a long way to go but a very good introduction to the game.

10. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NjMa5WUxeE

Alpha 12 Video released yesterday.

Love the new Contraband feature. Also I like the style and openess of the Devs videos. Gives me some faith in them and the game.

I want to play it now! :D

11. Moppi

Moppi Minimodder

Is this game any good would you recommend it as thinking of picking it up in the humble bundle weeky sale for $20

Last edited: 9 Aug 2013
  12. longweight

It's brilliant, flawed and still very alpha but well worth it.

13. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

I picked this up when it was on offer at the weekend and have spent hours playing it - Love it so far!

Alpha 13 introduced tunnelling, which means you can't just sit back when everything is going ok because prisoners that appear to be sleeping might be halfway out of your prison digging a tunnel with a spoon they stole from the canteen.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else they come up with in the next updates

14. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

I do look forward to when they introduce a campaign of some sort. I've never been a fan of sandbox games. Great so far though!

15. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Bought this in the sale the other day and have been totally sucked into it! Amazing game considering it's still in Alpha - I have noticed a couple of strange bugs but all things considered I think it's fantastic. My first prison was a complete failure - riots all the time, prisoners not getting fed (mostly because they kept killing the chefs...) but my second attempt is going much better - about to up my capacity to 128 then it might have to be time to tackle some max security prisoners :D

16. GeorgeK

Alpha 16 has been released which sounds fantastic :D
    Can't wait to get stuck into this :)

17. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I've been playing since alpha 11 and carrying the first prison I ever built through each update, it's fun to try and solve new problems in an existing building instead of laying out space neatly for everything. Makes it more organic.

Though with the new segregation options and the road gates I might look into a fresh start. Of course this happens right after a massive riot (due to a small regime tweak) destroys my valuation so I don't even have anything worth selling.

18. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

I ended up buying this in the sale a few months ago. I was going to wait for release so as not to spoil the fun with it being half finished, but then it dawned on me it would cost me 3 times the price.

I have really enjoyed playing around with it even with the annoying bugs. After a while you can avoid them once you figure out what causes them.

The Chefs got broken a couple of months ago which was game breaking really. You could not safely go over 300 population without riots, but this issue and many others have been fixed in Alpha16. I have been playing for the last couple of days and it is vastly improved in several areas. Food is in abundance now so hopefully I can cram them in like sardines as soon as the building work is complete. :)

Last edited: 28 Dec 2013
  19. GeorgeK

Lost a few more hours to this spectacular game over the last few days - this is where I'm at now

[​IMG]
    (Click for big)

Only just opened the wing on the right hand side of the road so it'll take a while to get up to capacity. I know that I massively over staff and could be making more money if I trimmed back but the temperature of my jail never ever increases so I'd rather have too many staff than not enough. Also I make >$10k per day from licence plates so that's nice :)

The ability to segregate makes such a difference - I can now properly implement what I was trying to do before - the prisoners stay properly separate and also the multiples of everything actually work too - no stupid running from one workshop to another... I'll have to observe what happens with the Maximum Security facilities on the top left and the ones on the right to see if stupid AI does stupid things...

Here's how I have it split up

[​IMG]
    (Again, click for big)

The main thing I can't work out of the new features is in the release video they mentioned about planting trees, cutting them down and then using the workshop to make the wood into planks before selling it. If I grow trees and chop them they get taken to the workshop and sold fine but I'm convinced that you actually make back less money than it cost to plant the trees in the first place...

How are others getting on with Alpha 16?

20. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

Nice build George

Plant a whole load of trees and cut them all down at the same time and watch the cash go up. They definitely help the cash situation. I started planting the trees inside the workshops, saves the legs of the workmen :D

I have gone for a compact symetrical design where once they enter they won't see daylight again until they leave. Can't wait to start building on the east side. Will my PC cope I wonder.

Current max population is 660 but I've hit a bug with the new prisoners. Guards are taking them to a cell but are not uncuffing them. Then another guard will come into the cell and move the prisoner to another corner without uncuffing them. No idea how to fix it yet.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=210427342

Last edited: 31 Dec 2013