1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Problem overclocking.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ch33sefiend, 2 Sep 2010.

1. Ch33sefiend

Ch33sefiend What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, I have just bought a new 600w PSU for my PC. It looks great and is really, really quiet. The only problem is that whenever I try to overclock my system the PC has a hissy-fit and resets the CMOS.
    I have had the same overclock running stable using my old PSU (now in Power supply heaven) for months without so much as a cough (it was a 450w).

Any ideas?

My system:

Intel Quad core q8300

Gigabyte EP31-DS3L Motherboard

4gig RAM

9800gt Nvidia card

3 hdd's

CD burner

Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600w Power Supply.

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Not sure how much power they use but get rid of stuff you dont need, cd burner and 2 hdds etc while you test? Less load on the PSU that way

3. eNcoRe

eNcoRe What's a Dremel?

have you tyed over clocking it lower than that you had it before? also have you tryed updateing the BIOS as that might help, however i have't updated the BIOS so can help you there

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Is it doing it when it's running or just after it's been turned off. If it holds the overclock and runs ok and then defaults when you reboot/switch off, I would say that the cmos battery has had it .

Either that or when you come out of the bios after setting up the overclock remember to press F10 to save it.

5. General_Confusion

General_Confusion Now Where was I?

Hmm, I did a quick search on that psu and got conflicting info, one site say's it has a single +12v rail and another says it has 2x +12v rails (at 25A each). Break is over and it's time to go back to work :( so I dont have time to see which one's correct...

If it has 2 you will want to make sure the load is divided as evenly as possible between the rails..

6. Ch33sefiend

Ch33sefiend What's a Dremel?

Okay guys, after a little bit of messing about I have narrowed down the problem. Taking the advice you guys gave me, I removed all three hdd's from the PSU and then retried the overclock... and it worked! So I then added one (worked), then another (also still worked) then the final one, and lo and behold: it failed.

Am I drawing too much from a certain rail? Is there any way of getting round this problem or is it a faulty PSU? I tend to think that it is a faulty PSU as I had a 400w budget crap in there as a substitute whist I ordered this one, and that worked fine with all hdd's etc installed and the overclock present. I am tempted to return it to scan and get a different model all together :( :(

Thanks for the help chaps!

7. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

I assume you have this psu?

If you do have that one, then the +12V rail count should only be 1. CoolerMaster seems hellbent on advertising it on that page as having just 1 +12V rail to maximize power or whatnot. Now what they say and what actually goes on in the PSU could be questioned.

I don't know much about the CoolerMaster PSUs and I'm not sure how reliable they are, but buying any PSU that's not a good brand will usually come with a fair share of problems. Lots of people will stick to just big name brands (like Corsair) since those PSUs are generally very reliable and of good quality. My suggestion is that, if you can, put the PSU under some load tests and see what's happening.