1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Problem with new monitor!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joey_B, 1 May 2009.

1. Joey_B

Joey_B Theres a SNAKE in my boot!!

Hi all!!

First post/topic here but I've stalked the forum for a few weeks now trying to get as much information about the place before i jumped in!

I'll start off with a problem I hope you can help me sort out.

I've just bought a Second Samsung 2253lw to go alongside my existing one to try out my first proper dual screen experience.

Now when I try plugging it into the spare DVI output on my Graphics card (NVIDIA 9800gt 1gb) and the DVI input on the back of the monitor and I change the settings onto horizontal span using the NVIDIA multiple display wizard there is no image at all on my new monitor:(

Next I tried it using the analogue VGA cable supplied, with a VGA to DVI adaptor on the graphics card, and this time I get an image on the screen but it has a blue hue and the resolution wont go above 1042x768 :(

Do you think I have a faulty monitor or does anybody suggest anything else I could try to get this working???

Cheers in advance for any help and sorry for the essay long post :duh:

Joey B

2. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

try the new monitor on its own in the 1st dvi port. Does it work on its own? you using any software to use dual screens.. like nvidia control panel?

3. Joey_B

Just tried what you suggested and still no joy :(

Yes, I'm using the NVIDIA control panel to set up my displays. I have had my LG 42" TV running fine off this but I'm having no luck with the dual Samsung 22"'s :(

4. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

have you tried the auto setting on the front of the monitor?

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

So the new monitor doesn't work even if you just try using it on its own?

6. Joey_B

Aye, didn't do anything though as there was no image on the screen to adjust.

The auto scan for an input source didn't work either.

Nope not even on its on with the other one completely disconnected

Last edited: 1 May 2009
  7. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I've had a few monitors where the OSD wouldn't display if there was no video input (due to VGA being selected). Assuming this is your problem (your auto scan for input should have picked it up?), then just connect the VGA cable again, and then go into the OSD menu and select DVI input, disconnect the VGA cable, connect the DVI cable and in theroy your screen should light up light a christmas tree.

8. Joey_B

Right, I tried what you suggested and DVI is still a no go (also another i noticed was that when the DVI is used "NVIDIA Control Panel" names it as "Analogue Display"??)

I tried seeing if I could improve it with the VGA cable being used by installing the drivers and I have managed to get a 1680 x 1050 resolution on the screen and have played about with the hue a bit to remove the blueness so its usable now.

But still I would like to use both digital inputs if possible.

I bought this as a used monitor from Amazon (they said it was used as a display model at a show) would I be able to return it to Samsung under warranty to get a replacement???

Cheers for all your help so far guys:thumb:

9. oasked

So the DVI doesn't work at all.... I had that before on a monitor that I got back from a RMA. Needless to say, I RMA'd it as well. Get a replacement from Samsung. :)

10. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

yer i would send it back

11. Joey_B

Yup I think that is the route I'm gonna take. Cheers for all your help everyone, Much appreciated :thumb:

12. Joey_B

Just had the best the most amazing RMA service ever from Samsung!!

Had a quick 5 minute phone call to explain what the problem was and they are sending someone to my doorstep with a brand new monitor and are taking the other one away!!

Will be buying Samsung parts whenever I get the chance now, with a service like that!!

13. oasked

I had the same thing with a BenQ monitor, great RMA service. :)