1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Problematic Virgin Media Broadband connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dr_crazy, 7 Apr 2007.

1. dr_crazy

dr_crazy What's a Dremel?

Right, don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but here goes:

Had the same Telewest set-up through three houses, and apart from the occasional hiccup here and there, have had no problems. Now I'm in full-time employment and can't sit surfing the net like I used to, so it was my flatmate that found out while trying to do "research" (read "play Guild Wars") that he noticed the internet was dropping at irregular intervals.

Normally, his connection would hang out at around a 43ms ping. Then suddenly hit a 1500ms ping for no reason. It appears this is affecting normaly browsing as well with connections on Youtube and the like dropping suddenly and no longer loading.

Rang Virgin Media about it, and after an hour on the phone to customer services, they put me on hold, passed me around and then cut me off after spending nearly an hour on the phone.

Have restarted my router and modem a couple of times, and the problem still continues.

Not sure what else to try. if you need any more info, please ask ask and I will try to provide.

2. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

go to 192.168.100.1 and have a scout round there. That address is the diagnostic pages of your modem and it will tell you all about your configuration speeds and signal levels. There is also a log located on one of the pages so look for anything thats been logged at the times you suffer an outage.

I also assume that youve looked over your own network to make sure that its not your fault. Virgin will always assume that youve got the problem.
    Appart from that all you can do is Trace-routes to the BBC to see what UBRs your internet traffic goes through.

To do this, click start and then "run". Type in "CMD" and press enter. Once the window pops up type in "tracert www.bbc.co.uk". once this is done you can copy the text by right clicking over the window "select all" and then "ctrl-C"

3. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Do you have an attenuator in the line? (it will probably be between the box on the wall and the cable. This can cause dropped connections if it is not the right value for the incoming signal.

4. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

I've also had shenanigans online since the Virgin Media takeover.

Could I clarify, I've read your post to mean you've carried the same hardware through living at 3 different addresses, but you've actually been fine for a while at your new location but others seem to have taken it to mean you've had problems since you've moved in?

As I mentioned, while it was Blueyonder/Telewest my connection was acceptable, but over the past few weeks I've noticed that the connection bombs out. But the LEDs on the modem report good status until I power cycle it, then it wont reconnect. Are you experiencing anything like that?

Last edited: 13 Apr 2007
  5. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

I've had a blueyonder connection since they first started offering their cable connections and eventually made it to their 10Mb line and all was good until this takeover..the connection hasn't been dropped but its like the packets are suddenly being dropped for about a second and then it'll be working fine again.

i have noticed that on their website they are updating the cards in the UBR's like crazy, its like an entire system overhaul...maybe this has got something to do with it?

Tags: