1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Problems with 2nd HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Beast, 2 May 2009.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Well the family HP died about 6 months ago, so I built a new computer from scratch. So about a week ago I took the old HDD out of the HP to use it as a backup for my computer. Everything when fine but every time I put my computer in stand-by the backup HDD disappears from the my computer menu. It's pretty annoying because I have to restart or log-off to get the HDD to reappear.

2. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

That is wierd :confused:

Does the second HDD run off a seperate SATA chip (I remember the DS3L having a lot more sata ports than would be expected for a £50 board). If so, maybe its not reloading the chip bios after sleep? Just a guess . . .

3. The_Beast

No, my HDD is SATA but the backup is IDE (it's from an old HP)

Does that make a difference?

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

ah I remember putting together an ide and sata long time back.. it was tricky, make sure they are both enabled in the bios and don't run raid.. here's how I did it, (least from what I remember) set the ide as primary and put the os on there while the sata cable remains unplugged-

after installing the os and all drivers in.. while the computer was running- I plugged in the sata data cable into sata socket 0 on the mb (the hd should be powered).. windows picked it up as plug and play- was good to go after that

I dunno about vista.. probably handles this alot better than xp did

5. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

i've had this problem on my mobo, i plugged a hdd and a dvd drive in the paired speedy sata connections on the mobo, and occasionally after coming out of hibernation the hdd disappears from windows, i just bear it in mind when putting it into hibernation mate. Just power down instead, it shouldnt be a big problem, more a pain in the butt.

and from what i understood of thehippoz reply, thats has very little to do with the problme but i'm open to being wrong :p i think you might have been referring to installing windows with a pata and sata attached to the mobo, if so then just only power up the drive you want to boot on as windows will choose to name the pata C even if you want to install windows on the sata which might be labelled D in windows setup. either way i that doesnt affect the_beast problem

peace

fatman

6. thehippoz

yeah your right mrb.. it's the power saving shutting down his disappearing drive- you try S1 only in the bios over S1&S3

* upgrade the bios too.. might fix it right off the bat

7. The_Beast

Sorry to say but it sound like too much work for a free HDD. It's a minor inconvenience but that sounds like a major solution

Would a IDE to SATA converter work?

8. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

i wouldnt worry dude...read my earlier reply. bios update might fix it on the mobo but your problem is a random glitch, not a major boo as i explained earlier!

peace

fatman

9. thehippoz

hey beast.. sorry musta missed this one *scatterbrain lately*- yeah a converter would probably fix it.. if you have a ide dvd burner or something else, that might still have issues

flashing the bios could also fix the problem- and it's free.. but that converter is a good idea- you could set the power saving in the bios to use S1 only in the meantime (your fans will stay kicked on though)

10. The_Beast

I'll try the converter and hopefully it will work

I'm not exactly how to flash the bios so I think that one is out of the loop

11. thehippoz

lemme see if there's any guides on the net that keep it simple.. if the coverter costs too much- just looked at some.. might as well just buy a hd you know :|

12. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

13. thehippoz

well here's simple condensed version without all the bs

d/l these two

Boot Files
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23176&d=1235359038

HP Bootdisk Utility
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23177&d=1235359051

Your Motherboards BIOS firmware + Flash utility.. get version F8 or F9
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...GA-P35-DS3L&ProductVersion=rev. 1.0#anchor_os

** now extract the bootfiles to a directory somewhere and install the HP Bootdisk Utility

1. run it and select the usb flash stick you want to format under device

2. Use FAT for the file system

3. check create DOS startup disk and browse to the directory you extracted bootfiles.zip

4. click start and let it finish formatting your usb stick

5. now put all the files from the firmware download onto the flash stick and reboot (keeping the USB stick inserted)

now there's 2 ways to boot from a usb stick depending on your mb..the easiest is hitting F12 during the POST screen and selecting it from the list.. if that doesn't work, the sure fire way is setting the boot order in the bios:

* hit the delete key to go into the BIOS while you see the post screen.. when in the bios, you should find the boot order in there- move USB to the top of that list, save and exit, it will restart

7. now you should be at a dos prompt if all goes well.. type in FLASHSPI p35ds3l.f8 (if you downloaded version F8) and follow the instructions.. if you downloaded the beta firmware, type in FLASHSPI P35DS3L.F9c instead

8. it should ask to confirm before flashing.. Hit 'Y'.. let it finish.. you'll end back up at the command prompt

9. wait a few seconds and then restart.. you can hit DEL on post to mess with all the settings in the BIOS afterwards.. you'll have the latest firmware installed with all the fixes

14. thehippoz

15. The_Beast

Well I know what I'm going to do with my 2nd HDD

Install Windows 7 on it and buy a external backup drive

16. greshoff

greshoff Minimodder

Hi,

I have a unused PATA to SATA, SATA to PATA converter you could have for £5 posted if you want it

[​IMG]

Last edited: 17 May 2009