1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Problems with bsod's.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Jokkocze, 19 May 2009.

1. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

I installed windows 7 and put in another 2x2gb corsair dominators in my gaming rig a while back and I've been getting various bsod's (IRQL no less than equal, system service exception and one more) ever since.
    I tried pretty much everything (list follows) and got rid of the problems when I added the dominator fan, but now they're back.

The bsod's usually appear when im playing games, but I've also gotten them while using nothing else than firefox.

As I wrote, i've tried pretty much everything (That I can think of). Reinstalling drivers, reinstalling windows, adding extra intake cans, cleaning all coolers (cpu, gpu), running memtest86 on all memories, two memories at once and single memories.

I have no idea what else I can do. Could be overheating, but the extra intake-fan should've made that better. Extra cooling on the mem-slots did help, but only for a week. The airflow in my case is ok (http://www.jokkocze.com/filer/img/IMG_1119.JPG old picture, but it's pretty much the same now, the discs that lie outside the case are removed so the cables are gone aswell) so that should'nt be a problem, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any idea what else might be causing it?

(Specs are in signature. Cpu is no longer clocked.)

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

adjust your ram timing/voltage manually in the bios..

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I wouldn't be surprised if electro migration is starting to occur in your CPU. I also think you may be powering a bit too much hardware off that Corsair VX550W.

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I doubt that's a problem. A quad OC'd to 3.4GHz + Radeon 4870 + 2 hard drives pulls ~320W from the wall, so it's about 260W from the PSU.

5. Jokkocze

Ok, so I should set the ram to 2.1v and 5-5-5-18?

I'm gonna try that.

Didnt have any problems running some additional hdd's (4 or 5), a controller card and my old dvd-player, so I doubt that there isnt enough power.

Edit:
    And there it was again, "Memory management" this time.

Edit2:
    And again now after removing 2 sticks of memory. "System Service Exception" this time.

Last edited: 19 May 2009
  6. thehippoz

from the looks in your sig your oc'd.. this is probably a stupid question but- are all your voltages set manually or are you using auto voltages on anything.. thing with auto voltages is your letting bios decide how much juice to let loose

manually set everything including memory timings.. a real oc is all manually set- guys with auto voltages are not really overclocking- they are playing russian roulette

start at stock

7. Jokkocze

As I wrote, it's no longer oc'd, I just havent changed my sig.

8. thehippoz

well the system service exception is a driver.. take a look at C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP

you'll find out what's causing it in there.. more than likely it's an nvidia driver.. the others, if you could run something like memtest and eliminate any problems like bad memory slots, sticks.. then see what you get from there

I just don't want to go back and forth with a bad oc.. why I posted that earlier

9. Jokkocze

I'm gonna take a look at the memory.dmp. I'm suspecting the chipset drivers, but it could be the graphics drivers. I'll reinstall those aswell and see if it helps. (I've already run memtest several times)

10. Jokkocze

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Good to hear you found the problem! This is the reason I always use ECC memory on my motherboards. It's an option for you too, considering your P5E uses the X38 chipset, but I suppose you're more into overclocking so ECC memory may be a bit too slow for you (PC6400@CL5).

12. Jokkocze

I can live without overclocking, but it might be a money issue (Took me a month to afford the kit of dominators, since I really dont have alot of money atm)

13. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

ECC memory has become a lot cheaper over the years. Early on you'd pay almost twice the amount of regular memory. These days it's a couple percent more than regular memory and usually quite a lot cheaper like dedicated overclocking memory like Corsair Dominators.

Here's a price example. I'm not familiar with Swedish etailers, so it might be cheaper elsewhere. Here in Denmark it costs DKR 431 incl. VAT at a local (r)etailer.