1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Problems with fans ~ possibly related to PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sanins192, 24 Aug 2009.

1. sanins192

sanins192 What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

My new custom build is about one year old now, although about 6 months ago I had problems with the LED fans (Hiper 80mmx15mm Blue LED). I have three of them connected into a (admittedly cheap) fan controller via the 3/4 pin fan connector and then the fan controller connects into my PSU (see bottom for specs).

The problem was that the LED on one of the fans stopped working, then later on the fan failed to spin up on startup, and required a helping hand from me. I swapped round the fans but the fan in the same location has the same problem (broken LED) and sometimes finds it hard to get going.

I'm pretty certain it isn't the fans problem, as 2 of three have broken, and my PSU is not under any great load. I have a feeling it is the fan controllers problem, perhaps it is providing the wrong voltage? (I have the fans on full anyway, so it is pretty useless). If I were to buy another three fans would I be putting any strain on the PSU by hooking all three molexes in the back of one another (possibly two cold cathode tubes as well)? The voltages and amp readings are small on the fans and lights, but will it make a difference if I have a lot plugged into the back of one another, and get rid of the fan controller?

Another problem I have is that sometimes on startup, the system will turn on, then turn itself off after about 2 seconds for 5 seconds, then startup again, almost as though there is a problem with too much load on the PSU. This doesn't happen all the time though.

Thanks!

Specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - Overclocked @ 4GHz
    Asus P5Q Pro 1600MHz FSB
    OCZ Reaper 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2-8500 1066MHz (Now at 1069MHz due to overclock)
    MSI ATi 4870 512MB GDDR5 OC Edition (790MHz / 4400MHz)
    Corsair HX 620W
    Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB 32MB Cache
    Pioneer DVD Rewriter
    Tuniq Tower HS&F
    Sunbeam Transformer Case
    Vista Home Premium 32-bit

1X 120mm case fan connected to mobo
    1X 120mm LED fan connected to mobo
    3X 80mm LED fans connected through fan controller to PSU
    2X Cold cathode tube kits connected to PSU

2. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Are you sure it's not the fan controller, connect it to the PSU directly?

3. sanins192

The problem is I think the fans are permanantly damaged so connecting to the PSU may give false results. I will try it anyway.

Should it make a difference if 4+ molex connectors are running off one cable, in the back of one another?

4. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Explain the above comment

5. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I think I know what he means by "putting several molex connectors in the back of each other"...

This:

[​IMG]

(although there are variations where there is only one connector which has male in one end and female in the other, more modern)

I got four fans plus my Xonar stacked up in one molex lead this way :)blush:) so I think you should be fine.

6. sanins192

OK, I just put another cable into my modular power supply and connected all three fans via molex in their own slot, so there was no need to do the thing mentioned above. I will probably go ahead and just buy three more new fans.

Anther question: my PSU has triple 12v volt rails. Do I need to put the modular cables in the correct slot to make use of all three rails or will the PSU work out this?