1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Problems with vista, radeon 9500 and drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tank_rider, 13 Sep 2008.

1. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

I've just put vista 32 but onto my media pc and am having problems getting the graphics drivers working properly. I've got an ati radeon 9500 and downloaded the latest drivers off the amd website. Everything seemed to install ok, but video playback isn't smooth, i checked device manager and found that it is in an error state with the message windows has stopped this device because it has reported a problem. I tried cleaning all the drivers off with drivercleaner and started again, and also tried version 8.8 off the guru3d site, but to no avail.

Has anyone had any similar problems and/or know of any solutions?

Cheers

Andy

2. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa What's a Dremel?

What company released the card ?
    As when I first bought my XFX 8800GTX vista had trouble reading the drivers from the Nvidia website.
    Instead I downloaded XFX's own driver off their website and it worked trouble free.

3. tank_rider

i believe it's an ati branded reference card, and i don't have any driver disc which would be compatible with vista as it's old hardware. Cheers for the thoughts though :)

4. Matticus

Matticus ...

Have you tried letting vista grab the windows certified drivers?

They will usually install as soon as you boot up if no others are installed for it, if not the next boot then it definitely will.

5. tank_rider

Yeah I tried that when i first loaded vista, but it came up with the same message when they were loaded too. I removed all drivers including whatever windows had initially put on there and tried a fresh boot and windows update to get the latest they had to offer again but to no avail. I'm thinking it might just be worth looking for a cheap nvidia 6 series agp card, something like a 2nd hand 6800 or 6600 which should be fine.

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

7. tank_rider

Thanks for the hint, but omega don't do ati vista32bit drivers yet :(

Are there any other organisations or people who do ati driver hacks?

8. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Perhaps try an older set of ATI drivers?

9. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

ATI stopped supporting the 9500 a long tme ago. and while they have drivers for vista for the radeon line there is no guarentee that they will work with older cards.

I was going to suggest omega drivers but if you say they dont have vista drivers then I would say you are out of luck. Maybe its time to get a newer card, something like a 2400 or 2600 in an agp version.

10. tank_rider

Cheers, That's some useful info. Seems a bit weird that they bother to say it works when it clearly doesn't! I'm looking at getting a cheap 6800LE/GT. Another thing would be to get a low end new card, are there any of the latest gen of cards that support video decoding that are on AGP?

Cheers

11. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

As already suggested, I'd go with a HD2400 or HD2600 over any older cards - they are good with video. The only 6800GT etc will be rubbish (but perhaps better for playing games).

12. tank_rider

Ok cheers for the advice, I've managed to pick up a 6800LE off the bay of e for £7.50 so if that's not up to the job then i can always get something else and not have lost out on much!

13. tank_rider

All in and sorted, unlocked all the pipes with no problems either, a touch of overclocking and it should pass for a reasonable system for the odd bit of old school gaming :)