1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V problems with Yamaha NS6490

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aurazes, 7 Jan 2004.

1. aurazes

aurazes What's a Dremel?

i have a set of Yamaha NS6490's and when i play something with too much base or when the volume is pumped up high, it makes a "pop" sound everytime it hits the low freq.. this has never happened with these speakers before, i dont think i blew them out, they're fine until i put the volume a bit too high, but i went much higher b4 without problems or sound distortions.. could it be the cabinet??

i'll check wiring later.. weird

2. micb

micb Minimodder

I assume you mean Yamha NSP 6490 Bookshelf speakers which have a 8 inch driver?

Does this pop happen to both speakers or just one?

What amplifier and power are you sending to the speakers?

You could be overdriving the cones past there excursion limits (x-max) this will have the effect of a pop because the backplate of the speaker can get hit.

This can happen if:

A) You are running a lot of power though the speakers and playing low bass.

B) If you are usind ported speakers and you are playing strong bass below the tuned port frequency.

3. aurazes

aurazes What's a Dremel?

one speakers can go a "bit" higher b4 it does the popping sound. i play mostly hard trance on them so yeh its a lot of low freqs

i'm using some old(1992) sony receaver, 270 watts. these speakers are rated at 70w RMS.