1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Procedural Textures: Gaming's Future

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 9 Nov 2006.

1. Jerc

Jerc What's a Dremel?

Ok, so you replied without even visiting their website.
    It's not coding, you create your textures like you would create a shader under maya or UE3 engine ( http://profxengine.com/index.php?PAGE=PIPELINE.ART ). The textures are created by artists, not coders.

Sure we'll always need classic texture artists, for characters or other complex meshes, but a lot of textures can be created procedurally, with a high quality standard.

And lastly, as it has been stated before, compputing the textures often takes less time than reading them from the hard drive.

2. brandium

brandium What's a Dremel?

yeah, this looks like its just a bunch of hype to me too. It seems pretty obvious that this is just taking a bunch of stock materials, and composting them together using information about the model geometry, and maybe some physics for the broken tile and stuff. I can see something like this being great for applying a bunch of tiling materials to the geometry for a level to give everything the same look and feel, but it really doesn't seem like it's creating the base color maps from scratch. You can easily see in that bathroom video that theres just two different textures on everything, and it gradually fades from one to the other. Maybe if they had a little more information on what happens after you do the UV unwrapping it would be more convincing. The biggest thing about those renders that makes them look real is the lighting.

3. Jerc

Jerc What's a Dremel?

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

ok.... if i can reduce the size of a game, even if it is by 30% this is great, it is not hype, it has been tested and if you consider that textures that take 1000KB can be reduced to 200KB or less that is great, even if it is for those less seen textures, this is great news for guys like me that want to download games..... they simply are downloaded faster and take less space on your hard drive.

Tags: Add Tags