1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Product Confusion, XGA/Component etc.. HELP !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lemmingzappa, 29 Jun 2008.

1. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa What's a Dremel?

Basically I want to use my old gamecube and xbox etc.. on my samsung 2232bw pc monitor.

First thing that suited my needs was this:
    http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/product_info.php?pName=ultra-xga-game-box-hd-and-tftcrt-ready

But I also found the same thing on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=230266020837%09&_fvi=1

can anyone tell me if the ebay version seems dodgy, as it's cheaper !

I did originally want this box as it looked alot better from watching a youtube video:
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/12/xcm-offers-up-mega-cool-component-to-vga-converter/

but that last one (the nicer one) doesnt accept composite it only accepts component, and as far as i'm aware the gamecube component cable is hard to find and expensive !

what do you all suggest I do (I cant afford a new tv or monitor, not an option).

2. Lemmingzappa

3. Lemmingzappa

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Just to warn you, I used to use one of these on a 1280x1024 19" TFT, they look shocking.

5. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

Go on Ebay or Craigslist and look for a video scaler that has the outputs that you need to connect it to your monitor, it will do a much better job of conversion to the monitors input and allow you to upscale the image which the scaler will do a MUCH better job of.

You might get a scaler for the same price as that converter box which is basically a shockingly cheaply made scaler.

Faroudja are a good brand of scaler, you won't need the most expensive, the cheapest ones will beat that el-cheapo converter box.

6. Lemmingzappa

I couldnt really find what you meant, had a look on ebay but they are all in the excess of £300 !?

7. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

Don't bother with new scalers as you will pay a premium for nothing, don't get hung up on things having to be 'new' as there is plenty of used equipment available that is just as good without having the hefty price tag.

Try these ones up for auction.

8. Lemmingzappa

all the scalers on ebay (UK) are well over £100