1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proj formally known as Sunsail - Sept 05

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by onarahosting, 18 Aug 2005.

1. onarahosting

onarahosting What's a Dremel?

Hiya,
    this is it; the beginning. This is my first mod and I thought I'd share it with you all as I go along. Inspired by Ferry and iSpider I have decided to try to stick with the attention to detail and care that he uses :cooldude:
    Lets see if I have the patience. :)

Now right from the start I am hamstring-ing myself because whereas you guys usually take really big cases and make them bigger :), I am taking a really small case and trying to fit everything in.
    The case I am using as a base is from a Sunray desktop. Or sort of desktop. It only had a little stripped down MBD in it and no drives or anything so there's not much space in there. But it looks cool and I always loved the way it sits up on the desk. The base is a cool purple colour and the Sail title of the piece comes from the look of this part.
    [​IMG]
    That's it assembled. The two bits that make it up are:
    [​IMG]
    The base is really cool and the pics don't do it justice:
    [​IMG]
    This is it pulled apart:
    [​IMG]

So that's it. As you can see it's tiny. (edit) The actual case is:
    22.5 long by 23.5 high by 4.5 cm thick (/edit) And I intend to get a Thumping motherboard, DVD burner, lighting, power supply, big hard drive and liquid cooling in there! Maybe :rock:

And something extra which is a bit of a secret at the moment but more to come....

Last edited: 3 Sep 2005
  2. rool

rool What's a Dremel?

Looking good but what size is that? Looks like it'll be an almost impossible mission to squeeze all that hardware into it.

3. kalm

kalm What's a Dremel?

At last someone else doing a sun mod. I'm just gearing up to mod my Ultra 5. Can't wait to see more.

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

That's so cool already as original :(
    Don't ruin it, please!

5. Litecore

Litecore What's a Dremel?

damn, i've seen those all over my recent workplace.. insanley friggin small !
    props to you for even thinking about pulling this off, i'll follow. fo shizzle ;]

MOD ON ! :dremel:

6. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

what's the case size

7. tetleyex

tetleyex What's a Dremel?

You're insane. :rock:

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Looks pretty, and if you can squeeze a whole system in this terminal (which is what it is), I'll be impressed.

However, the Project Log rules say that you must show pics of actual work in progress (not just a disassembled case). So could you post something in that vein very soon please (like, preferably by tomorrow)? Else we need to (temporarily) move this to Modding...

9. onarahosting

Too Late! I've already gutted it and there aint no goin back :D

10. onarahosting

Very small. Some might say; insanely small!

The motherboard that came out of it was 21cm by 17cm. I was originally thinking a mini ATX board but now something like a VIA or Commel is better as it's smaller. It's only because of the availability of small MBD's like this that I think it can be done. But my plan is also to actually incorporate some of the bits into the base which will give me more room.
    The actual case is:
    22.5 long by 23.5 high by 4.5 cm thick. It's the thickness that's going to be killer. But i've got a plan for that too.
    :hip:

11. onarahosting

Just shooting some pics as working now. It is pretty and yes it is a terminal
    :hehe: .
    My original requirements when setting off on this adventure were to build a HTPC and so I need certain things. Maybe I've bitten off more than the dremel can chew but heh, I'll keep sticking things in until it bursts.

12. kalm

kalm What's a Dremel?

Keep with it it should all turn out well. For the motherboard why don't you use a Mini-ITX Pentium M board commell have one in production.

13. onarahosting

Good news and bad news

OK, couple of pics.

And good news and bad news...for me. Good news is I got myself a little sponsor for a cut price motherboard, so even though I thought the Commel board was probably going to be the best I am now going with the VIA board, which is still a hell of a board. This one has the TV out I need (which is what I like about the Commel) as this is at heart a Home Theatre PC and I don't have the room for a PCI TV card.

Bad news, I don't actually own a Dremel. And I thought I might get away without one. But I won't. I need to make some fairly heavy mods to the front and rear panels of the case and it's quite hard steel and there's just no way I'm going to get it done without a dremel. The other bummer is that I pulled apart the power supply I was going to use and the thing is huge. Well relatively. And there's no way it's going anywhere near fitting into anything I've got. And I don't want to build anything onto the unit. I started with a small space and dammit it's going to all fit. The DVD drive should be fine. I was looking at a slimline dell one or a laptop drive (still possible) but I'm also considering using one of these Sony ones. USB powered too.

[​IMG]

I trial fitted some lights to cheer myself up and trying a couple of positions gave me the idea to actually light each individual segment of the base. Not sure how yet but I think it'll look cool. I'm also working on a remote control way of shutting the lighting off because as a HTPC you don't want it lit up too much while you're watching TV. The pics show: One internal, two internal, two external (2)

[​IMG]

Now I can't wait to get me motherboard and get mounting.
    Brief specs:

VIA EPIA M
    Processor- Eden 600 MHz Fanless Chipset- VIA CLE266 North Bridge - VT8235 South Bridge System Memory- 1 DDR266 DIMM socket - Up to 1GB memory size VGA- Integrated VIA Unichrome AGP graphics with MPEG-2 2 USB 2.0 ports - 1 VGA port - 1 RCA port (SPDIF or TV out) - 1 S-Video port - 3 Audio jacks: line-out, line-in and mic-in; can be switched to 6 channel output - CPU voltage monitoring - Keyboard-Power-on, Timer-Power-on-

And the best spec of all in my case - Form Factor- Mini-ITX (4 layer) - 17cm X 17cm :rock:

14. kalm

kalm What's a Dremel?

Great news on the M/B. I have a M10000 on a standard PSU. have you thought about using a DC-DC Conveter to power it tho as most of these are just a daughter board type of psu.

Lin-itx DC Power kits

BTW. Love the lighting.

15. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Also they've come up with CF SATA controller so now you can get fast 8 gig CF card. Still it's nowwhere as fast as regular HDD's. Damn if you pull this thing off... that'd be too cool

16. onarahosting

I had never thought of other options re: hard drive. Awesome idea (this forum works like it's supposed too, cool). I will look into the CF. Run this whole thing off a SATA CF card, that's be original.

17. onarahosting

Awesome tip. Only just begun and already this forum is paying for itself. This "group" project is going to be great.

18. kalm

kalm What's a Dremel?

I you use the CF to IDE adaptor (ME6000 Board doesn't have native SATA yet) get a microdrive instead of solid state. it's not as quick but you can install any OS you want. With solid state your pretty much limited to Linux due to the write demands of a windows install.

For More advice and mods using these boards checkout the sites below they answer no end of questions.

Mini-ITX.com

Epiacenter

19. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

"Addonics SATA To CF Adapter," but then you would have to find the smallest possible mobo with SATA support. With some fast ass CF cards you should manage to get 25mb/s with CF.

20. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

a 1U case is smaller about thickness

Last edited: 21 Aug 2005