1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project│Pink PC :: Finished

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Lazlow, 21 Aug 2005.

1. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

UPDATE (10/09/05):
    The project is 'finished' to a certain degree as of today. Please read log 11 to see the final pictures of the project!

ORIGINAL POST:
    During a conversation with my fiance the other day, she slipped in an idea that she'd like me to re-build her PC - it's full of crap and pretty much unused.

So I got thinking, she's obsessed with pink, but wont need much in the way of an upgrade from the current components - as she'll just be using it for the internet and music/dvd playback. Apart from a bigger HDD, not much is needed. Though the case is very bland and boring...

I've searched high and low, and cannot find a pink PC case anywhere - there are countless pink laptop bags, and several pink laptops, but no cases.

I need input though:

- Has anyone seen pink mice (the hardware kind, not soft small creatures) available online? Preferably from the UK.
    - Pink keyboards?
    - Pink cases?

If not, I'll get hold of some pink spray paint and some lacquer, along with a new case, so that I can paint it, along with the keyboard and mouse.

This thread will be the start of the project, which I hope to have finished by mid-October.

UPDATE (26/08/05):
    - Pink PC will be SFF, possibly skt A shuttle.
    - Keep throwing ideas into the thread - many are inspiring!
    - Will update this weekend with pictures and the first stages of a project log...

Project Log 01 (30/08/05): - preparing the peripherals...

Project Log 02 (31/08/05): - painting the drive fascia...

Project Log 03 (31/08/05): - dismantling the keyboard...

Project Log 04 (01/09/05): - dismantling the mouse, more painting...

Project Log 05 (02/09/05): - assembling the finished drive...

Project Log 06 (03/09/05): - final touch-ups for the drive...

Project Log 07 (04/09/05): - assembling the mouse...

Project Log 08 (06/09/05): - hardware arrives...

Project Log 09 (06/09/05): - building the AOpen...

Project Log 10 (07/09/05): - prepping the shell...

Project Log 11 (10/09/05): - finished! for now...

Last edited: 9 Jan 2006
  2. Nexxo

Nexxo Stopped treating this country as if it was his own

Soldam used to sell some pink SFF cases and a range of colour-co-ordinated drives to go with them. However it looks like they are changing their repertoire (not to mention that ordering from them is rather pricey). But there are at least two pink PCs in the project logs here, so have a look and break out the Dremel!

3. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I'd get a nice case and paint it myself. I'd use a high gloss pink paint. So its shiny aswell! Get a nice logitech mouse and kb and paint a few parts pink. Should fit the theme nicely.

Good luck and make a log!

4. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Thanks for the replies, did a few searches on here and found some more ideas too ( :thumb: nexxo)

Think I'll opt for the painting route ( :thumb: lovah), so sometime this week I'll take her to choose a nice case, and keyboard/mouse too. I'll remove the keys and paint the KB too, but not 100% sure about the mouse, think the paint might wear off over excessive use - guess a lot of lacquer should solve that problem.

EDIT: And a log will definately follow - I'll post back with some pics of the new hardware soon.

5. doryakov

doryakov New Member

i dont think that pink has been choosen.
    are you a girl?
    [​IMG]

6. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I wasn't the last time I checked :duh:

---

A little more research churned up the following:

Pink cable wrap

Pink mouse

Pink LEDs

And pink thumbscrews

Available from

The cable wrap has inspired me to mod the inside of the case too, and to have a window to show the internals off. I think I'll swap the case LEDs for some pink ones, and hopefully the keyboard ones. I remember there being a log on how to mod the LED in an optical mouse too...

The pinkness is beginning to take shape :nono:

EDIT: Contemplating a overhaul of her current system, or build a new shuttle system for her - will be around £200 (minus peripherals) which is nice :thumb:

Last edited: 16 Apr 2010
  7. ARM

ARM Member

Lazlow,
    ZapWizard modded a Shuttle for his wife (Hello Kitten themed) which was all pink (plus monitor, mouse, keyboard). Have a look at www.zapwizard.com.
    Best of luck to your mod.

8. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Thanks! I spotted ZapWizard's mod, and it's had me thinking... get a new case and paint it, or go for a completely new shuttle system in pink, like Zap's... choices choices choices.

9. neillyb

neillyb New Member

10. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Don't tempt me :hip: those pink tubes for the watercooling...

11. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Don't forget Pinky2 . The project seems to have stalled for a little while but there is some great use of pink in that project. Definately worth a read.

12. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Thanks for that, I hadn't spotted Pinky2 before - the sheath over the cables is the stuff I'm hoping to order in.

---

I've made a start, albeit a small one. I took my fiance to PC World after work yesterday, and picked up a new Keyboard and Mouse - she didn't see the point in a new kb/mouse, but I'd rather mod a new one than an aging one.

We picked up a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard/Mouse combo:
    [​IMG]

Along with some pink spray paint, primer, lacquer and wet/dry sandpaper... I'll post pics once I begin colouring the Mouse and Keyboard at the weekend.

I grabbed the wet/dry sandpaper for preparing the metal surfaces of the case (once I get it), don't think I'll need to use the stuff on plastic - unless anyone says otherwise?

13. malfunction

malfunction New Member

The cubit 3 / 5 cases (www.hoojum.com / www.scan.co.uk) are available in "pale lilac", "shell pink" and "peach" if any of those are good enough for you?

14. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I see where you're coming from, but buying an already pink PC doesn't have the personal touch. It's the main reason I'm building and modding the thing from scratch, as it'll be personalised from me to her.

Not much time through the week to get started, but hopefully will this coming Saturday. Still unsure about the CPU choice - either Sempron or Celeron. The big Intel/AMD debate. There seems to be more SFF Intel products around compared to the AMD stuff.

15. Rimmer

Rimmer New Member

Hi Lazlow,
    Check this out.
    Totallycustomised.co.uk

Paint absolutely anything.
    TC just done a very cool Silverstone TJ06 3XS Chameleon in heat reactive paint. It features in Custompc mag issue 25 (October 05)

Post will be on here soon.

Get it all sprayed in a nice pearlescant pink ;)

16. Constructacon

If we're throwing ideas around for you. Why not give her the ultimate in pink computer componentry - a painted motherboard.

Alternatively I could just imagine that done in a heat reactive paint. You'd see where all the "hot spots" were.

17. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

A painted motherboard would look very unique - though I'd worry about destroying a new one.

Pearlescant or heat reactive paint has got me thinking though, I'll stick with the pink I have for the peripherals, but may go for something interesting for the actual chassis. Still unsure if I will be putting a window on the sff case - wont be much to see in the tiny box.

This weekend I'll put in an order for all the components (case, cpu, ram, hdd, lcd etc.) and post back with a few pics of how the kb/mouse painting went.

18. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

That Orgasmatron was in CustomPC. My sister has started to read bit-tech now so she can see the outcome of this and make me change her case.

19. Constructacon

After all this talk I'm interested to see how the thing goes. Project log is inevitable.

20. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Pink PC Project Log 01 - 30th August 2005

OK, first stage of the project log...

I apologise for the delay, I did originally plan to start this over the weekend, but I chose to relax on the bank holiday weekend instead. Now for the modding :dremel:

[​IMG]
    ^ First up, the MS Wireless Keyboard and Mouse that I picked up @ PC World last week - £29.99

[​IMG]
    ^ Not much in the packaging, but everything you need - KB, Mouse, Wireless dongle, Batteries...

[​IMG]
    ^ Another shot of the contents...

[​IMG]
    ^ The keyboard itself has a nice finish to it, kinda rubbery... pity it'll be gone within the next few days!

[​IMG]
    ^ A shot of the paint and wet/dry paper I'll be using. I'd mislaid the primer when I took this, but it's around somewhere...

[​IMG]
    ^ Before I begin painting the KB and Mouse, I want to 'practice' on the CD-RW/DVD Drive fascia... so my rig is donating a spare drive.

[​IMG]
    ^ The 'donor' drive, a Samsung CD-RW/DVD Combo, picked up for about £30 3 years ago - and it's still going strong.

[​IMG]
    ^ In order to begin the colouring of the fascia, I needed to remove it. I was impatient at this stage, and ended up ripping the whole CD-tray out of the drive.

[​IMG]
    ^ The drive dismantled - I'll be painting the fascia and CD-tray pink :idea:

[​IMG]
    ^ With the wet/dry paper I begin to gently sand down the plastic parts prior to cleaning and painting.

[​IMG]
    ^ The plastic parts of the drive prior to painting...

[​IMG]
    ^ The eject button masked off (I could only remove the eject LED safely - thought I'd end up snapping the button off altogether, so left it where it was).

[​IMG]
    ^ Voila! The final stage of this log - the plastic parts of the drive have been primed.

I'll post with an update hopefully every night this week, and this weekend I'll be putting in an order for the rest of the hardware...

EDIT: The photos have been taken with a Sony Ericsson K750i - the auto focus isn't perfect, but they come out very nice for a camera phone... spot the Incredibles kitchen paper!

Last edited: 30 Aug 2005