1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project│Pink PC :: Finished

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Lazlow, 21 Aug 2005.

1. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Very good point - and I see why you made it looking at that picture. The screwdriver is in fact a hand-held manual one. But it has a thick handle as inside several different sized heads are stored. I've been doing up/undoing all the screws by hand with it, so don't worry - there wont be any damage screws!

2. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Pink PC Project Log 06 - 3rd September 2005

A short update for the log today...

[​IMG]
    ^ The mouse after its third coat of pink... should be ready for lacquer tonight!

[​IMG]
    ^ The drive finished, at least I thought it was...

[​IMG]
    ^ I now consider myself a perfectionist - the drive still has small areas of beige, which would be visible from certain angles.

[​IMG]
    ^ Also, removing the masking tape revealed yet more battle damage, this time from the tape itself...

[​IMG]
    ^ Here's one area which was damaged - in the picture it has been repaired as best as I could - light sanding, then another thin layer of pink.

[​IMG]
    ^ And again, another area where the paint had bubbled up under the masking tape.

So the drive is now OK, it's drying with what I hope will be the final layer of pink. It's had 3 layers in some places, 6 in others! Along with some lacquering...

I'll set about putting on one last layer of lacquer tonight. As for the keyboard, it is coming along fine. It's had another coat of lacquer (with light sanding in between) and will have another tonight. The mouse should be onto lacquer tonight too...

3. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I'll post back later with what hardware is on order - now to sit down and choose (this is the fun part!)

4. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Here's what I ended up choosing (www.aria.co.uk):

[​IMG]

It'll be an Aopen X-cube in Pink (once I've pinkified it!), 2.6 Celeron, 512mb 3200, 160gb, with a 17"/12ms TFT.

Not the most powerful rig in existence, in fact pretty slow by today's standards... but it's not going to need to play BF2 or render anything. Perfect for DVD's, Music, Internet, E-mail, Office work etc.

(I also added in an ICY Box with a 160gb Maxtor for use as an external backup drive for me)

Think I'll look at the pink accessories I mentioned when I first started this thread...

EDIT: themodhouse.co.uk doesn't seem to be real, once you've registered for an account and you checkout there is no option for payment. Looks like no pink UV cable wrap or thumbscrews for me :waah:

Last edited: 3 Sep 2005
  5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Didn't themodhouse close down or something?

And it would be worth paying the extra £3 to get another SATA hdd rather than the PATA.

You gonna pinkify the TFT?

6. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

They may have closed, hadn't heard of them before, just spotted them in another thread.

The second HDD (ATA) is for my rig, and will be used in the ICY Box, which is an ATA external enclosure. I could have opted for SATA and an SATA enclosure, but my current rig only supports ATA, so if I wanted to put it inside at a later date, I wouldn't have the option (got room for another 2 ATA drives - running 2 x ATA on M/B and 2 x ATA on RAID card).

I'm not 100% sure on the TFT. I've never dismantled one myself, but having taken apart a Dell laptop this past week, I should be OK. I'll decide once it arrives and I've finished the case etc.

7. Dark_Bone_04

Dark_Bone_04 What's a Dremel?

why pink :confused: :eyebrow:

8. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

9. MoOstick

MoOstick What's a Dremel?

Great painting job... very very nice job indeed. Subscribed I am...

10. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming!

Speaking of painting - the drive is now 100% complete. It's currently sitting on my coffee table awaiting installation. The mouse is another 2 layers of lacquer away from completion. As for the keyboard, had a slight set-back with debris drying in the last coat of paint. After a light sanding it needs another coat of pink as well as more lacquer... though it should be finished by Monday evening.

I think the key to painting is time...

11. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Pink PC Project Log 07 - 4th September 2005

A brief summary of the project's current progress...

[​IMG]
    ^ The keyboard will get its final coat of lacquer tomorrow a.m.

[​IMG]
    ^ The CD-RW/DVD drive is finished and polished up ready for installation at the end of the week...

[​IMG]
    ^ The various parts of the MS wireless mouse, prior to re-assembly...

[​IMG]
    ^ The mouse assembled ready for use!

[​IMG]
    ^ The finished pink parts so far!

I'm really pleased how well the mouse has turned out. The drive is OK, but upon close inspection, slight damage is visible, whereas the mouse is pretty much perfect. It looks as though it was purchased pink, which is the aim.

Tomorrow I'll be assembling the keyboard in the evening, so expect the next project log to show it pinkified and ready for use!

12. No.1 ND Student

No.1 ND Student Banned

wow watching this one nice colour

13. Yiping

Yiping What's a Dremel?

heh well then this overwrites everything :p

14. barbz

barbz What's a Dremel?

nice work, are you doing a pink mouse pad as well? maybe with teddy bears and flowers?? :naughty: lol, nah, keep it up, good work, but i think a nice minimalist design mouse pad in pink would be a sweet addition (imho), keep it up.

15. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Very interesting point - completely forgot about a mouse pad. I don't use one myself on optical mice, and I know she didn't on her old PC, but a pink one would be a nice personalised touch. I'll see what I can come up with...

As for the project, slight set-back. The hardware order has been delayed. Hopefully it will arrive by the weekend, so that I can get more done.

Will report back tonight with how the keyboard has turned out!

16. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Just returned home to see how the keyboard was coming along - and I wasn't happy with the finish, so put on another layer of lacquer. Thinking I wouldn't be able to do the next log, of the finished keyboard till tomorrow night, I looked at the paint to see how long it takes to dry... 30-40 minutes!!!

I've spent nearly a week waiting 12 hours between each coat, only to find I could have done the lot in an afternoon... ah well.

17. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

Because it's "unique". You don't see many pink computers out there, do you?
    Of course, in the days when almost all PCs were beige, black was considered a "unique" color. Now it's not so special anymore. But just wait; the same could happen to pink. When that happens, time to choose yet another color...

18. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

The 'slight-set-back' is no longer - received an e-mail this afternoon saying that my order had been despatched. Aria seem very good at re-stock times!

Started placing all the keys back in the keyboard, to find that it hadn't dried 100%. Left a few thumb prints on it, but they shouldn't be noticable once it's 100% dry. I'll post pics tomorrow night now of the completed keyboard.

If pink becomes the norm, then we're all doomed :worried:

19. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Doomed... I thought we were doomed when black hit the mainstream...

I actually like the color, but lavander would be more my choice...

(Yes I am a guy...) :eeek:

20. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Taking the imminent changes into account, I'll post a comments thread once the new forum is up and running. Thought I'd give you all a heads up as to where I'm at with this...

Hardware arrived yesterday, got it all home and unpacked. Built up PC before modifying anything new, to ensure it all works. 3rd attempt at installing CPU it worked normal (1st two it bleeped - overheating). Formatted SATA drive and installed XP Pro SP2 last night. Reluctantly I sanded a small area of the AOpen. Black finish comes off easily enough. Will be sanding the whole thing tonight and colouring - expect a log soon!