1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project│Pink PC :: Finished

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Lazlow, 21 Aug 2005.

1. wajt

wajt What's a Dremel?

wow. very, very nice job on the painting, it looks really clean, especially the mouse and keyboard, they look like some kind of special edition stock part!

2. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I've since added a GeForce FX5200 128mb AGP8x card into the mix... it is passively cooled via a reasonably small heatsink and seems to work fine. Tight squeeze, as the case is almost flush with it, but it works well. Slight increase in noise, as the air flow for the cpu fan is slightly restricted. But nothing major. Still very quiet.

3. eileenkeeney

eileenkeeney What's a Dremel?

Does everything work, or did the paint cause problems?

Hi,

Now that it has been a few months, how is this PC working?
    Has the paint caused any problems?
    Does the keyboard work well (with the keys showing the same level of performance they had before the paint job, or is there more friction).

I am considering purchasing the following machine:

http://www.voodoopc.com/transactions/qksummary.aspx?Qsessid=97dad5c9-8022-445c-b5ad-db59d937599b

However it doesn't have an option for an ergnomic keyboard.

Considering the price of my GoldTouch keyboard, I am not certain I want to risk painting it pink.
    I know the Microsoft ergo keyboard is very sensitive, and even if I spill the slightest amount of liquid on it, a few keys stop working (always a key I need). I imagine if I painted it, it would start having problems.

- Eileen

4. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

nice mod, but i agree with MrWillyWonka, you need to paint the front. black and pink dont really go together very well i dont think. same sort of goes for the mouse and keyboard, they seem to clash too much for my liking. I give it a 7/10 for worksmanship and the good ideas, but id give it a 10 if it was all pink, just for consitancy in colour.

5. eileenkeeney

eileenkeeney What's a Dremel?

I think that black and pink go together very nicely.
    I think I might just paint my own keys pink, leaving the rest of the keyboard black.
    The key surface does not really interact with anything (except my fingers). Therefore I would not create any friction issues. I guess that paint could start to peel off and end up under the keys, and cause trouble.

Check out ebay, right now there are multiple pink keyboards out there.
    These are rather interesting looking roll up key boards made of some sort of vinyl stuff. If I were not going to do an ergonomic keyboard, I think I would want one of these. These look easy to wash as well.

6. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

To answer your questions:

+ The PC is working fine, since this project log had finished I've added another 512mb RAM bringing it up to 1gb - not that it really needed it, but she's now using it for sound editing and photoshop.

+ The paint hasn't caused any problems at all - in fact I surprised myself even, the finish is fine and hasn't worn down at all, after several months of daily use.

+ The keyboard works fine, there's no friction, well, some keys had a little to begin with, but after an hour or so of typing that disappeared. The performance is identical to prior painting.

The key to painting a keyboard (sorry for the pun), is to keep the painting to the shell only, painting the keys could cause problems, and would also require re-numbering/lettering.

Black/pink isn't to everyone's tastes, I was a bit uncertain to begin with, but I didn't want to spoil the nice finish of the AOpen case, and the final result actually looks good. The fiancee's happy, so it worked.

Also... that voodoo you've linked to looks as though it's based on one of AOpen's offerings.

7. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

I think it looks to pink :p

8. customh

customh conflagration.

Methinks it looks cool

9. Mod_God

Mod_God What's a Dremel?

eh pink :confused: neon green would have been better but thats just me

10. ArcAngeL

ArcAngeL What's a Dremel?

Looks good, the key colour clashes a little, because they are a different shade of black but still nice, if u wanted, you could probably respray them, and use letraset to reprint the letters etc... then clear coat them sto tehy dotn scratch off.. but that might cuase the keys to stick.

I could image you could easily sell a number of these to a high school / university female audience with otu any problems.

Im sure your fiance was happy.

Good work.

(and very informational towards paintjobs, cheers)

11. Cartamunda

Cartamunda Banned

Pink Computer

I have recently bought a Pink Computer from Zebra eStore. The PC is a nice mix of Pink and White.

12. Cartamunda

Cartamunda Banned