1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Élegance, Update 26th July 2007 - a new PSU-case is in development

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Claas M, 30 Jun 2006.

1. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

Hello fellows.

//---Log #2
    //---Log #3
    //---Log #4
    //---Log #5
    //---Log #6
    //---Log #7
    //---Log #8
    //---Log #9
    //---Log #10
    //---Log #11 - STEEL SUXX

//---Log #1 begins here
    After watching the growing of a lot of perfect mods and cons it's time for me to start my own log. The idea of building an own case grew up in the late summer/ fall 2005 when I got a very huge radiator of an Opel/ Vauxhall Kadett. With the very large measurements of 600*250mm cooling area (the whole radiator is bigger) the largest bigtower on earth is too small.

I've done a few scribbles an I ended up with a design which is - I think so - very strong and will be - I hope so - as simple as possible. I have an image of what the result has to be but it's changing from day to day. I do not know, if the result is the same as I have the idea of...

Well, talked too much, let's go.

Im a 21 year old german, finished shool these days and on monday I have to join the 'Luftwaffe' (=airforce) for my basic military service. To have an imagination of me, a pic:
    [​IMG]

The idea was to design and construct a case which is 1 meter (and more) high, 70 centimetre deep and 30 centimetre tall. The main frame is build with 50*3 mm aluminium-l-profiles. Onto the profiles - so the theory - will be mounted 16mm (or more) medium density fiberboard.

To be honest, I'm happy, if the frame is built up ;)

My victim: 12 metres of the profiles:
    [​IMG]

My tools:
    [​IMG]

Preaparation for the first cut:
    [​IMG]

After two cuttings it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Finishing with a rasp:
    [​IMG]

In this image you can see, where the countersunk hexheads (M6) will be placed:
    [​IMG]

Because that little saw was too crappy i used the angle grinder
    [​IMG]

The result after three hours of work (I did it after the german win over Argentina)
    [​IMG]

The next time I can do further cuttings will be sunday so I hope that I'll finish the cuttings then. A few parts, which are left over will be welded by a friend of mine...

The problem is, that I have to join the airforce on monday and will be back in two weeks soonest (if nothing happens to me)
    My plan is to give the weldingparts to my friend on sunday so that he hast two weeks to weld them.

Your comments are welcome.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2007
  2. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Hey nice to see another modder from Niedersachsen.
    Good luck for your mod

edit:/ argentinia you're out :p

3. customh

customh conflagration.

I shall watch...

4. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

Niedersachsen as the topmost end of Germany? I don't think so :p

I'm living at the Kiel Canal between Kiel and Rendsburg.

Glad to see someone who's interested :D

//Edit: The rig wich will be placed in that case:

• DFI Lanparty Ultra B
    • AMD Athon XP-M 2600+
    • Kingston Hyper-X 512 DC Kit
    • 250 GB Maxtor
    • 160GB Samsung Spinpoint
    • Eheim Compact600 pump
    • 0.5L Mezzo-Mix PET-bottle
    • ~4 Metres of 8/6 PUR tube

Last edited: 1 Jul 2006
  5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Btw, 30th June was a Friday...

6. ice-tea

ice-tea Mr.PC-Max

hey ho :)
    I will watch the work here and also on kaltmacher.de :)
    go Claas M go :clap:

7. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

You'r right, I began on friday but finished saturday ;)

Kacke, du auch hier ;) Mal sehen, ob ich auf KM einen Log starte, aber ich denke nicht, da es nicht entsprechend 'gewürdigt' wird.

For the English speaking peoples here: Ice-Tea is a member of my 'mainforum' and im surprised he's registered here too...

8. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

I think you'll find you said...

"s#!t, you mark see also here whether I start a log on km, but I do not think, since it becomes not accordingly “appreciative”. "

... according to Google.

9. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

Maybe...but where is the sense? Please be constructive and stop flooding, thx.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2006
  10. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

Sunday, 3rd of July 2006

Update-time:

Today I cutted the rest of the frame:

[​IMG]
    ^---The 'early' beginnings...

[​IMG]
    ^---The outer frame done.

[​IMG]
    ^---Into such corners the angles, wich will be welded during the next two weeks, will be mounted.

[​IMG]
    ^---Due to using the wrong disks (the black ones for steel instead of diamond ones for aluminium) the edges looked like this. The time I needed for cutting was too long too...If I had used diamond disks I have had the feeling as cutting butter.

[​IMG]
    ^---The waste...

[​IMG]
    ^---Status after the break I will take...Until I returned from the airforce

Tomorrow mornig I have to join the german air force. But to be able to mod again when I returned, I gave the last 4 metres of alloy to my frient to cut them into length and to weld them. The best is that I only have to pay ~25€ because the people at HDW, which are learning their first year there, do have to cut them. :clap: :clap:

Well, I'll check tomorrow morning but them I won't be able to answer for two weeks.

Greets, Claas

11. Philipp

Philipp What's a Dremel?

The beginnings are looking good :) I'm interested how this turns out in the end. ;)

And hey, I'm from Germany also :D (south western part...)

12. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

I'm not from Germany :naughty:

but I still like how this is starting out!

13. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Great mod and thats a lot of steel and aluminum you're cutting, have you cut yourself yet? Because if you do there is the obgligitory "I cut myself, wasn't paying attention" picture...
    Keep up the updates, looks like a good mod... subscribed...

14. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

Friday, 7th of July 2006

Update-time:

Today I recieved the things wich had to be weldet (one week schorter than expected). Tomorrow I'm able to drill holes because I'm back from airforce (one week earlier than expected ;) )so it's perfect and just in time, I love it.

[​IMG]
    ^---All in one...

[​IMG]
    ^---The outer weldseam.

[​IMG]
    ^---The inner weldseam.

I'm not using any steel- just alloy. Today the ancles arrived. I'm in the seventh sky because I was allowed to return THIS weekend instead of the NEXT I expected. And the Alloy Ancles arrived today and just in time...but well...picures will follow...

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean with your 'have u cut yourself' pic...there is none showing cutting myself :worried:

----

I know, I'm not that kind of human being which is talking much but I think pictures are saying more than me using a broken anglish wich is totally different from our english, we've learned at school.

Tomorrow mornig (8 o'clock (ps: for an airforcemember thats late, I had to stay up at 4 am this day)) I have to sell living chicken for another frien of mines so I'm only able to work in the afternoon for the mod.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to set up normal anchors which are only jumping to the next post instead of opening a new window?

15. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

Sunday, 16th of July 2006

Update-time:

I bought my MDF yesterday, added smoothing cement, two clamps and 'prepaint' and was 44€ poorer.
    After that I went into the garage I'm working in to do further modding. I know I'm very slow but it's my firs 'real' mod and my very first con. And I only have time on weekend to work on my case.

[​IMG]
    ^---The MDF plates

[​IMG]
    ^---The first try of fixing the alu-bars on the plates for drilling the holes.

[​IMG]
    ^---The drill I'm working on :clap:

[​IMG]
    ^---Looks fine.

[​IMG]
    ^---I screwed in the insert screw but the holes I've drilled are - I think - to small so that it becomes bumpy. I've to try to use bigger woles or I have to sand these 'hills' down.
    [​IMG]
    ^---Another angle but a try to use the macrofunction of our cam :D

[​IMG]
    ^---The first half of one plate is done.

[​IMG]
    ^---Do you remember the edges I've cuttes of the bars? Now I have to use them as a provisorium to 'shorten' the screws. Next week I have to buy the correct screws and more clamps and so on.

[​IMG]
    ^---One plate done- five to come. I hope the next ones will be drilled faster so that I'm able to show the awesome size in a loose mounting.

16. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

Sunday, 23rd of July 2006

New update:

Yesterday I've bought two pairs of working gloves, screw-in 'mothers', wheels, 3 more clamps and a scraper.

[​IMG]
    ^---The new tools...

[​IMG]
    ^---The gloves fits perfectly...

[​IMG]
    ^---The position of the feet's baseplate is 6cm from the outer shape of the bottom. To have a frame into which I easily fit the feets, I took some trash lying around and fixed it with the clamps. The wheels worked as a pattern.

[​IMG]
    ^---The drilles holes...

[​IMG]
    ^---Humh...to deep :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    ^---Playing around with the macro-function...

[​IMG]
    ^--- :confused: The bolt doesn't fit...? Well, it seems that I've bougt to big mothers....who cares?

[​IMG]
    ^---Humh...the ancle isn't correct? Isn't it?

[​IMG]
    ^---Another picture, with flashlight...

Due to the screw-in-mothers are always going as they want ant not as I want, I've tried to 'glue' the mothers with mdf filler which doesn't work as I imagined. It's not stable enough so that they broke out again. Next week I have to visit my screw-dealer to look for a solution. But a few pics:

[​IMG]
    ^---I have anotherone without flash but it's a bit blurry for my opinion so I decided to show his one instead of the blurry one because the bit-techers always want to see perfect pictures ;)

[​IMG]
    ^---The drill with wich I drilled the 'glueing-holes', a 'little' bit oversized for the machine, huh?

[​IMG]
    ^---The filler squeezing out...

[​IMG]
    ^---Well, this is a small step in the progress but a large step for my self-consciousness...the first 'result' because one part of all the progress seems to be done. But not for a long time because I've recognised now that that solution isn't fine so that I have to choose bigger and more stable ones. :waah:

[​IMG]
    ^---The idea which grew up in my mind...

[​IMG]
    ^---The same from the front...

[​IMG]
    ^---A small detail of the squeezing filler...

[​IMG]
    ^---To give an impression of wich size that *itch will be I've clamped the backplate to the frame...Impressive, what? From time to time I think that I'll be able to store 3 PC's ant hundrets of HHD's in one box...cooool :hip:

[​IMG]
    ^---From the back...again, very impressive
    Greets, Claas

€dit: Due to a military training I will return in two weeks so that Im not able to answe any question till then...or update...well answering might be able if I have an hour or so...

Last edited: 23 Jul 2006
  17. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

If you want the casters mounted firmly, try fashioning a bracket thats has the same hole pattern on it as the caster and assemble as such:

----------------- bracket
    ============= mdf
    ----------------- caster

Just get a bolt and nut that can fit all the way through. Either get "airplane" nuts that have a ring of plastic in them to prevent coming undone, or put two nuts on the bolt and tighten them down.

I hope this idea helps you, and nice compter :)

18. low_violet

low_violet What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, screw-in mothers?

:confused:

19. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Looks like a great project!

One question, in Germany is it mandatory to serve in the armed forces for some period of time? I was just wondering.

20. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Well, yea... With the age of 17 you get "registerd" for "Wehrdienst". There is the possibility that you have to serve nine month in the german army if you get a medical examination for military service and are called capable after further inspection. You can of course refuse and do "Zivieldienst" (social work stuff).
    You also do "Sozialdienst" if your are for some reason uncapable for mil. service.
    Hope that answerd your question.