1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project $0 scratch build *Finished!*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by -equilerex-, 6 Nov 2006.

1. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

I love this 0 money spent mod more and more each day... Heh, now where did i store all that electronics stuff i got for free.. :naughty:

2. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Hook up an led in series with it. use the LED to ligth the meter.

3. -equilerex-

-equilerex- What's a Dremel?

nah, tryed it, nothing interesting happens with the needle. it did give some nice pulse when i connected the ampermeter straight in the hdd led wires, although i guess i cant use it as thi is a shosrt circuit and cant be good on the pc or the meter.

well, meanwhile, until i figure out what to do with those gauges, im starting to shake off this damn pc addiction and, well, start building the pc again... :D

not much of a update, spent maybe an hour or 2 making the back where all the connectors are, a little smoother (hard as hell as the size of the thing was random everywhere... must of been that lack of measuring at the start :wallbash: ) in the end, the cuts turned out quite well

Theres just a nasty hole and a mobo tray improvised next to it
    [​IMG]

but ive got some metal sheet, some measuring thingie and scissors
    [​IMG]

pieces of metal riveted in place:
    [​IMG]

had a little problem with this part, i had made the metal edges too small, i either have to do them again or use some bondo when doing the rust treatment.
    [​IMG]
    the piece is loose on the picture btw.

still loads of work to do
    [​IMG]

Total cost so far: $0 Why you ask? umm, let we see, this weekend i went and bough some new equipment, $565 for just some damn bindings, boots, goggles and back protection? damn flow with theyr patented hybrid technology and high prices.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

old and new
    [​IMG]

So, all i need to do is buy a helmet and a season ticket to the ski resort and all my $865 worth of earnings is gone, same happened last year with the new board, and you ask why wont i spend any money on my pc looking good? :D
    all this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    gone.. nothing left for the pc... well, there actually is but i still wont spend it on it :worried:

4. -equilerex-

hehe, like i said, one step at the time, il try to get some more done. little detail take a hell of a time though, didnt do much today but i still spent like 3 hours or something

The nothing soldered shut theory has already proven useful, really easy to work on the lid
    [​IMG]

i decided that the buttons and stuff for this kind of mod should be done much better (and i also didint have any room to put the amp meter in)
    [​IMG]

well, tbh, i havent still decided/figured out what to do with it but i will build it in anyway, the mod just needs an analogue gauge :worried:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

still thinking how to attach it, so i went on with the fan grill

first a stencil using that measurement thingie instead of caliper (too lazy to search for it)
    [​IMG]

found a nice brushed piece of aluminium
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

cut it out
    [​IMG]

added mesh
    [​IMG]

couldnt rivet it in place though as the mesh had grey aluminium showing and i had to spraypaint it first (had to leave it trying as it was a acryl based paint)
    thinking on painting yellow-black stipes on it, should fit the mod really nice :naughty:

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Is there really ski resorts in Estonia? :eek: I've thought it's too warm and flat in there at winter.... But then again I'm wrong pretty often :D

6. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

This is great, proof that you dont need money to mod things, it helps, but its not essential :) As long as people like you keep doing things like this, the phrase 'necessity is the mother of invention' will always ring true :)

7. -equilerex-

well, wrong about the warm part, last winter, the lowest was like -35C... for a week, the average is -10...-20C. this year the heat wave from russia delays the winter though :wallbash:

right about the flatness tho, there are just 2 ski resorts/hills in this country and they both are within 10km from me. theyr more like snowboard parks, the longest slope is like 700-1000m or so. but its good still really fun there, all the jumps, halfpipe, powder in the forest if you do some offroading, etc. quite simular to the ones in south finland

8. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

i may be incorrect, but i dont think the relative topography changes with the seasons :D

9. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Current temp here @ 12:57AM -35C. :D (Average daily high for this time of year is supposed to be -7C)

As for the skiing - I'm not a big skier myself but - come visit the Canadian Rockies :rock:

10. -equilerex-

damn u ppl with cold weather and big mountains :sigh:
    personally, i hate cross country skiing, downhill skiing is ok but nothing beats snowboarding. those 4 winters have been best time of my life :)
    sad about the current weather though, it snowed so much a few weeks ago that they could have opened the resorts. but then the warmth came back, stable +5...8 for the last week and doesnt show any improvement :sigh:

anyway, enough of that, just got home, going to crab a lucnh and off to modding again :worried:

11. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Yeah. There's a small ski center near here. They were blowing artificial snow like there's no tomorrow just a month ago. Then came the snow storm with 1/2 meter of snow. And now it's all gone again. If the sun would show itself I would start sunbathing again.

12. -equilerex-

its funny, every time you want to do something, you get distracted. a few minutes after the last post i went shopping... got myself a helmet, the next day i had a trip to the capital, worked a little on the mod durning the weekend and today though.

riveted the metal circle
    [​IMG]

cut the mesh
    [​IMG]

glued it with superfix... i love that stuff
    [​IMG]

the previous fan screw holes were kind of off, so i gut some pieces of metal to hide them
    [​IMG]

searched some bolts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

gut those metal pieces and added bolts
    [​IMG]

figured out how i will attatch the amp meter
    [​IMG]

took the thing appart... broke the glass in progress :worried:
    [​IMG]

lots of room there
    [​IMG]

...had an idea
    [​IMG]

a little schematics and a class tube as decoration, would of added engraved numbers with a piece of plexi and a led
    [​IMG]

so it was either that or this:
    [​IMG]

the decorated one didnt fit the case so good tho.

painted the metal piece with my acryls... i think spray paint/any other paint would fit better though, might redo it some time. looks better then on the photos though.
    [​IMG]

wanted to leave the white backround... just paint over the A. unfortunately, i ****ed up the painting and when i was cleaning it again, i peeled off the rubbery paint... gave up and cleaned it to the metal, drew on some lines and numbers with freehand, i quite like how it turned out though
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

should end up like this. (also added a red led in there :worried: )
    [​IMG]

13. Culito

Culito What's a Dremel?

Awesome. I just love old analog guages for some reason.

14. -equilerex-

hehe, me too, that was one think i wanted to do a mod with (along with industrial theme) still need to figure out what will i use it for :D probably hdd let...somehow.

15. the fodder

the fodder What's a Dremel?

god you are a cheap ******* how much you spend on that? :D

I am going to be setting up a meter to read the HDD in my upcoming mod. I was planning on using [http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2002/06/22/hdd_activity_meter/1.html] the HDD LED meter[/url] and instead of a row of LEDs I was going to connect them all to the meter. In theory it should smoothly move the needle as it tries to light more LEDs.

I am happy to let you be my guinea pig. :D

and if you are wondering this is what I am modding
    [​IMG]

16. -equilerex-

hehe, nice hdd meter plan, too bad it needs a micro chips... if it was out of ordinarily pieces, i would probably make it out of all the old electrical stuff, but chips are really specific so i would have to buy it.... wouldnt fit my $0 budget. it jumps good enough for me without the circuit :worried:

nice piece of equipment btw!

didnt have time to work with the case as i was practicing painting on my old snowboard. But i did have a switch hunt, it was quite dark outside so i only found a few good ones inside

well, there was also some other interesting stuff, i think i will use that digital clock, those cilinder kind of things would be cool but i cant think of anything i could do with them
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and some light fun... damn these led's are bright :rock:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and just for fun:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    needs one coat with vector based graphics, then i will add a clear coat

17. Culito

Culito What's a Dremel?

You don't need chips at all for your analog meter. Just keep thinking analog! All you have to do is hook up a potentiometer (you know, trim pot, volume control, etc.) in series with it, and adjust it so the needle moves to your taste when there's hd activity. Mine jumps around nicely.
    You might even try putting a capacitor in series to smooth out the movements. I haven't tried that yet!

18. -equilerex-

well, that was what i was planning (exept the pot... it moves only on half the meters area anyaway... didnt have the right size meter)

19. -equilerex-

hehe, got soome better pics, unfortunately im not so good with that camera and the room was filled with paint fumes that turned into thick white fog, but still better then the phone images

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    i also ran out of memory so i couldnt make any extra ones to choose from.

20. jakeiswicked

jakeiswicked What's a Dremel?

Loving this mod so far dude! Reminds me of the guy who made the milk canister/cow one that looked a little similar to this, but this is a $0 mod so very impressive :D Inspiring me to try the same thing (£0 mod, hopefully start soon) seen as i am in almost exactly the same situation as you, i Snowboard and am spending all my money on equipment or sessions at the Xscape Snow Slopes in the UK, meaning i now have much less money for PC/Modding then i did before i started boarding. I agree with you about skiing aswell, i can do it, its fun.. but Snowboarding is still way better/cooler and i haven't even been doing it that long.