1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project $0 scratch build *Finished!*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by -equilerex-, 6 Nov 2006.

1. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Very nice work, really. I'd just like to comment on the waterblock...because, you see, it will fail. For starters, you're trying to push water through solid fins, which isn't gonna work. You should have rotated it 90 degrees. Also, fins in waterblocks aren't that useful above 1/2". And most importantly, unless you have an epoxy that specifically states it will adhere to acrylic, it will fall apart. Especially if you didn't clamp it properly. Trust me, I've tried.

But, that case is, um, awesome, really.

2. -equilerex-

-equilerex- What's a Dremel?

umm, lol, im not a retard, the fins had a path cut through them in the middle... and the heatsink wouldnt have fit if i turned it 90 and it would of needed more epoxy that way.

and as for not sticking, you must had some really crap epoxy, only way to get this stuff off is with a saw and it all was also airtight, i blew into it with full force and it didnt come out anywhere and it didnt leak water at all. but if you would of read it further, it did fail, but only because i was too lazy to firmly connect the tube to the radiator, everything was fine until i moved the radiator a little and the tube acted as a ventile and started to take in air, the pressure got really big and made needle size holes in there, so i just ditched that idea as its not 100% safe. maybe if dad buys some argon for the welding mashine, i could try again...

3. imkeller

imkeller What's a Dremel?

Very impressive, now if only i had 0$. lol

4. -equilerex-

As always, my projects get stuck behind a really small thing- especially some missing part. This time it was a key/switch, i just had to use on in this mod. Tried to find one real hard but it was impossible.

So, i have some good news and some bad news. first the good- got myself a camera so no more crappy phone quality. and the bad- had to use cash for the button ($5) dont know if i should count it in though as i bought it only because i had some money left from the cash my parents gave me for new snowboard gloves... probably would have given it back as i also bought $12 snowboard wax from it.

anyway, here it is.
    [​IMG]

and heres the plan:
    [​IMG]

one piece of aluminium
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

cut it out, went over the edges and sanded it a little (not so good idea, shines like a mirror now)
    [​IMG]

luckily the other button was much easyer to find... someone had smached the ski lift stop button when i was snowboarding one day... found this in snow:
    [​IMG]

took it apart and cut it a little smaller
    [​IMG]

then searched a trigger switch from some old power tool, cut the long part off and also cut the red button a little

[​IMG]

perfect
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    going to glue it together with superfix after ive fixed it to the case

the layout should look similar to this when done:
    [​IMG]

5. -equilerex-

i was supposed to go snowboarding but my car got stuck in snow... got lots of powder at night :rock: so, instead i did a few small things with the mod...

first the holes
    [​IMG]

damn i hate working with a file... takes ages :wallbash:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

a few rivets, superfix and its done
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

still going to add some paint (yellow and black stipes on the edge of the plate)
    and the keys will also be modded into something more fancy. The next thing will be the switches for the lights though.

6. Bas van der Werff

Bas van der Werff What's a Dremel?

Love the idea of the key as a power button used it myself in my first mod keeps other people of your computer, and it looks very cool :D
    Were are you going to use the emergency switch for? i got one for my mod but haved found a good use for it.

7. -equilerex-

hehe, thats the twist.... its like nukes in movies- the key will arm it and the button will be used to start it....

8. BlueBerryBoy

BlueBerryBoy What's a Dremel?

can you feel the smell of S.T.A.L.K.E.R? I think I do...

nice mod, I would also like a garage filled with garbage

9. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Cool

10. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

That emergency button really suits to your mod! :thumb:

11. Beats

Beats What's a Dremel?

Eq your the best!!!!!!!! Please dont paint it . I think that the aluminum look is way cool, love the fact that its all found objects...recycling at its best. I would just buff the outside with some fine sandpaper and scotch brite pads...keep up the good work.

12. Sterkenburg

Sterkenburg To mod or not to mod...

Doin good, I wish there was a ski lift near me! I also wish I had lots of junk laying around. If I did have junk, I'd make one of these in a heartbeat.

Anyway, keep on going! You may be using junk, but you aren't using bad junk, you're using good junk. That's why this mod is good, along with your artistic talent, imho.

13. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

It was great they took this to the front page! There's definitely some things I would've done differently, but for a zero budget mod this is just awesome! Very good ideas all the way.

14. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

very, very cool. Horay for junk!

Id have to go against the no painting rule. he could totally scrape some paint of that piece of crud and just epoxy it on :D

15. Alaskan Assassin

Alaskan Assassin cooling?

It doesn't count because it was... a snowboard lock! Yeah thats it :naughty:

16. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

you can say the lock is just a placeholder for the one you find on a deep-freeze floor freezer, but you havent found it yet! this mod looks really good. it is thematic enough without being over the top. as far as paint goes, you are just going to paint the thin strips around the top and bottom, right? that would look very cool and just give it just that much more.
    edit: congrats on front page!

Last edited: 1 Mar 2007
  17. -equilerex-

wow, front page! that was unexpected! :rock:

the updates are small but at least there are some! as i have 2 huge tests in biology and history tomorrow then this is all i managed to do today.

first, i had these buttons but they had fugly plastic knobs so as my primary case is already kind of taken apart and barely functional, i replaced them with those on the case....

crappy ones
    [​IMG]

the case ones
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then, took that piece of aluminium seen on the last page (got it from a friend when i was making the waterblock) and gut it out with a rotatory grinder... i was out of jigsaw blades, at least im starting to get more skilled with the damn beast. the rivet hole got kind of mismeasured so i had to redo one side.
    [​IMG]

some rivets and its done
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the other side will receive one too but atm i am 1 switch short... might replace it with a potmeter if i dont find a switch

Then, i had this thingie from an ancient pc... i have no idea what it is- one side had a fully closed bronze case with 2 resistors inside, the other went into the pc. so i cut the closed one open so i could solder some wires to it
    [​IMG]

the other part was attatched to the case... going to use it as a plug for a desktop lamp im going to make from old headlight parts....
    [​IMG]

18. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I'll add a vote for no paint or at least not a smooth fancy paint job. As it is it has this tough industrial look that paint and polish would take away.

19. tobbelulle

tobbelulle What's a Dremel?

if you just paint it yellow, and smash it a bit with a hammer or something :rock: would look like it came straight from hell's nuke plant^^ Gotta love your concept :D

tobbelulle

20. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Paint it yellow and bury it in sand. Then dig it up with a rusty shovel and wipe the sand away with steel wool and a hammer...