1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project 17" Hot Wheel

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Gaoske, 7 Jan 2006.

1. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

Update: Drilling the disc...

2. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

Looking very good. When do you estimate it would be finished by?

3. Mr.ME

Mr.ME Minimodder

nice work on the brakedisc, to bad for that one hole

4. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

Solid Works model

Still wanted to show you all the 3D model of my brakedisc. Here it is as it looks in Solid Works.
    Nice to be able to buy a studentlicense @home :D .
    Eerst een model gemaakt van de remschijf in Solid Works.
    [​IMG]

C U soon @ next update!!

5. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

I don't really have an estimation of finishing this project. I do know everything that still has to be done are quite little things to do. The problem though is that I don's have all my hardware already. For my PSU this means I need to find one that's able to run a more advanced system than what I have right now (PIII 533, 128MB, 2HDD). I also have some stuff for a PIV/Celeron S478 system but it's much more expensive to complete this system, and money is my problem right now. For now I'm looking out for a 250 Watt PSU. That would give me more chance to continue modding...

6. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

92 mm CPU fan

I started some modding on the CPU fan as I wasn't at all happy about the noise the 60mm AMDCPU cooler made. I wanted to use one of the fans I had laying around. The 92mm out of my old Enermax PSU would do good in both airflow and silence.
    Look the difference in surface:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Therefore I would mount a 92mm fangrill on the CPU heatspreader.
    [​IMG]

After that, I mounted the 92mm fan on the fangrill.
    [​IMG]

I put up a little testbase to check the temps and noises of the system. Unfortunately, those noises I con't really measure, and therefore I can't show them either. I do need to say the system is pretty quiet. The only thing that is audible really (@5V) is my old HDD.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Than I started testing the system. Unfaorutnately I only have 128 MB of SD ram yet, some more couldn't be tested. I tested the system on stability with Prime 95 and checked temps with Everest:
    First in Stressed mode:

I started a torturetest with testing Mem and CPU. Results:
    Fans on 12V
    [​IMG]

Fans on 5V
    [​IMG]

Than I stopped the test and gave the machine half an hour rest. In Idle mode this was the result:
    Fans on 12V
    [​IMG]
    Fans on 5Volt
    [​IMG]

Hope you're still enjoying this mod. Hope to find some time to start the brakecilinder soon...

Last edited: 7 Feb 2006
  7. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

update of testsetup... :brrr:

8. Fahey

Fahey What's a Dremel?

never seen this before looks cool

9. saab

saab What's a Dremel?

Look sweet

10. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

All together, still apart...

Not a lot of modding this time, sorry for that. School still has main priority, even above my girlfriend :S.

I bought myself some metal "hooks" which will be used to mount the backpanel to the rim. I'll bend them open a little to fit them to the rim. Probably I'll even cut them to make them less visible. I also thought about some blind method of mounting, but I did not find an appropriate way to do that. I don't wont to try drilling in my rim as I'm afraid to damage it in a way that will be even more visible. This way I'll try wether it's not too visible. I'll use 3 hooks, from which 2 will be fixed, 1 will be mounted at the end so I can always remove the backpanel if I want to...
    Here the hooks. Was still pretty hard work to bend them, so I'm sure they are strong enough.
    [​IMG]

Some build-in pics...
    small 2 BIG

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Some previewpics from the result with "Rim-fan" connected...
    Watch the glow in the outer circle and in the heart of the rim.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Some details...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Another update with REAL modding coming up!!

11. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

12. thriteenthmonkey

thriteenthmonkey What's a Dremel?

blast it, I was planning to do a wheel mod just like that

13. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

Got to some modding again, took some time, but it does have a good result :D .

First started abrading the surface of the backpanel of the rim which is going to support the mobo. Then cleaned it from dust a littel with some toilet paper cause I didn't have any rags to do it. Then immediatly spraypainted the panel while it was hanging down from the roof of our attic.
    This was the result after a few very thin layers:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The mounting hooks for the HDD's are black as well. how about that!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Finally the little spacers to keep the distance between the mobo and the panel were white. I was afraid this would be visible. Took a little card from the box of a CD-r, put some screws through it and put the spacers on the screws. Then a little paint and that looks like this...
    [​IMG]

On the PSU for the view, one upside down to show the difference:
    [​IMG]

On the panel for final mounting view:
    [​IMG]

Enjoy the pics!

14. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

15. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Hmmmmm. This reminds me I have a spare rim sitting in the cupboard at home. Looks like a good mod. Keep it up ;)

16. emwee

emwee What's a Dremel?

hope i dondt spoil your day but you said one should say if it was original ok ??

it looks real cool but however here in germany there have been quite a few (sorry) :D

heres the link - scroll down to the middle

rim mod won in germany a contest

but yours is great to :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

17. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

You're not spoiling my day, not @ all... I hadn't seen this one before, but this will not stop me from building. Besides that, this isn't a case build in a rim. This is a case build to look like a rim, that's a little different in my opinion.

all together I need to admit it looks fantastic. I would be proud if mine came to look even half as good... ;)

18. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

Good day everybody!!

I love to see some positive comments in my log :D
    To start off:
    I'm in discussion with a friend to search a moment to borrow his digicam. I will try to make some good pictures from several parts of the mod and replace the old ones with the pics I will make. I'm a little scared my internet provider does not like my pics-sharing of the large detailed I will make later on so I will search a new way of hosting the pics as well.

As you might have seen in the pics of the last post, I replaced my old motherboard (Asus CUV4X-E met PIII 733 en 128) with the following:
    - ASRock P4VT8+
    - Intel Celeron D 315 2,26 Ghz with 256kb Cache
    - Kingston 512 MB DDR PC3200

This should be a little more stable during the use of Microsoft windows XP PRO SP2 (Media Center Edition). Allthough it's a Celeronsystem, it has:
    - the same amount of cache,
    - 4x the Busspeed,
    - 4x the graphics memory, working on 4x the speed,

of my old system.
    Conclusion: This works good :D

The modding:

This weekend I got the old graphicscard of my ex-girlfriend (TI4200 128 MB). I replaced it for her with an HIS 9250 128 MB because her old one didn't really cool that well. I found the issue, a fan stuck with more dust than the average attic of an old man who has been uding a wheelchair for the last few years. Yes, this resulted in a grey heatspreader with a "not-turing-@-all" fan. The graca got to hot and stopped itself from working and the system shut down.
    The first time I got the card into my hands, I decomposed the fan completely, cleaned it, tried some WD40, recomposed it and it worked. A lot of noise though. Retried it later with some teflonspray. started off well, after a while the fan got warm and the fan strucked, assumably because of the warm teflon "glueing" the fan to the axel.

As I don't want noise in my PC, There's just 1 solution, passive cooling. I went to Mr.X.'s shop in Tilburg, and got myself a Zalman Northbridge cooler (ZM-NB47J).Hooked it up reinstalled the card into the system. Ouch, that gets hot :eek:.

Put my 120mm ACryan in fornt of it on 6Volts, exaclty as it's going to be in my mod :D. I only plan a fanduct to the graphicscard to optimise the efficiency of the airflow on the graphicscard. Temp of the under is under 50 degrees already

Now the CPU:

With the stockcooler the proc got to an average of 45 degrees in Idle (BIOS). As internet told me, my old Coolermaster Vortex Dream should do that as well, on 5V though!
    [​IMG]

Before last weekend I already was @ Mr. X's modshop Mr. X's modshop to get myself a Revoltec fanadapter 120 to 80. Without and with UV light...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I would provide this with an AC-Ryan 120mm Blackfirefan I had lieing around. I would test it to see wether it satisfy's my need of silence @ 5 or 6V. If not I would chose another one to replace my Coolermaster 70x70 on the Vortes Dream. 120mm @5V should overrule the airflow of a 70mm @7volts. Being in the shop for the northbridgecooler and the fannduct, Mr X enouraged me to check the quality of a Recom 120mm.
    [​IMG]

What a F*** imposing fan that is inside a system. The yellow is visible when there is enough light in the room, not @ night. With UV light on it, it actually looks to jump out of the system!! Incredible!!
    The producer of the fan, Recom, claims it to be as quiet as Papst-fans for just 25% of the costs!
    It is cheap, just a little over €6,-
    It also is very quiet. Wether it's is as quiet as a Papstfan, I can not tell as I don't have one to check it.
    @12V only the air is hearable, no vibrating @all. @minimum of a Zalman Fanmate2 it's completely silent @ 25cm distance.
    If it would only have 50% of the silence of a Papst fan, it would already be worth buying this thing. I cannot imagine a Papst fan making just 25% of this one, So cannot do other than recommend this product!!

To be able to mount the fanadapter to the heatspreader of the coolermaster, it needs to be mounted on another adapter 70to80. I made it myself but it brokedowndown on the last whole so I will post the thing lateron this week with the new pics.

Now I just need to replace the fan of my PSU. @This moment it is a replaced 80mm Ledfan from Coolermaster already, but it's still to noise for me. I prefere a fan with some red lighting shining through a turning fan against the brakedisc to assure the turning effect of a working brakedisc.

Better pics comin' up...

Last edited: 5 Apr 2006
  19. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

Update of some hardware ;)

20. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

How about an update? I know I'm not the first one to finish a mod. Really too bad but as long as I'm the first to finish it the way I wan't it to be.

Well here I come. I made an awful lot of pics so I'm not gonna write a story about the whole story.

Just follow the pics and ask your questions when you have.

I got myself another graphics card with TV-out and I'll cool it passively by mounting a Zalman heatspreader.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Furtheron I modded the brakedisc to be non-transparent. I preferred a more frosted look
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Together with the rim
    [​IMG]

resulted it in:
    [​IMG]

Also got further with the mobopanel:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

As it should fit:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

But it didn't... The graphicscard was too high so the fan I want to mount on the inside of the rim hits it. So I saw a sort of spacer to mount in between the mobopanel and the rim:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Fitted the mobo on the mobopanel:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]