1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project 2nd Wood Case, 28 Dec. 2005

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bob Squad, 29 Dec 2005.

1. Bob Squad

Bob Squad What's a Dremel?

After finally figuring out why I couldn't reactivate my account (and then getting it reactivated) I am ready to post some pics of my next wood case.

Here's the first one:
    [​IMG]
    This was done Dec. 2000 - Jan. 2001. I originally used a full-tower frame and chopped it up to work for me. It worked at first but I got tired of it and wanted to make a nice frame for the wood pieces from scratch. So I did:
    [​IMG]
    <original chopped frame> <cardboard mockup> <final frame>

I am still working on this case... for the past four years. Of course I can never finish one project at a time, so I am now working on another wood case. I took my existing Lian Li PC69 case and rotated it 90 degrees so all the cables would come out the bottom:
    [​IMG]

The case will be held off the ground by about 3-4 inches through the use of four legs.

Mockup so far:
    [​IMG]

I just finished the wood frame that the metal case will slide into:
    [​IMG]

I still have many details to work out. I do plan on having at least one analog guage. That's so far as I can remember. Thanks for looking!

Last edited: 29 Dec 2005
  2. Bob Squad

Project 2nd wood case

Hello.

Project log for 2nd wood case project log

I am busy working on this case as well as the first one, and also am trying to finish my Shuttle casemod. Any comments, criticisms or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Steve

3. Bob Squad

4. acidfire

acidfire What's a Dremel?

Man, that case looks awesome, both the first and the new one your working on now. Personally, wood isn't my first choice, however you've done some amazing work with it. On your first case, what are the gauges in the bay for and where did you nab them from?

5. Bob Squad

Started working on the wood panels. The front, sides and back will attach to the frame via friction-fit speaker grille connectors.

[​IMG]
    I thought I'd try using pocket screws but the results were not what I was hoping they would be, so I will be going back to wood glue and brads.

Here are some more views - the case is resting on its back:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I will be using one analog meter, which is going to be used for HDD activity. I was planning on using Bulgin switches for Power and Reset but I am going to see if I can make some out of wood.

6. Bob Squad

Thanks. The cases are nowhere near as technical as some of the ones here - my eyes glaze over whenever I look at wiring diagrams.

The gauges measure HDD activity and Power. I got them from ebay - I've got about twenty of them sitting in a drawer.

7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Very nice ;)
    Given me a few ideas actually :)

8. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

I'm happy to see someone else who is taking a shot on a really nice wood case, i'll definately be watching this one, especially since the front looks almost exactly like a clock that i designed (interestingly enough, screwing up on that made me make my first case) good luck

9. Bob Squad

Since this is inspired by Arts and Crafts, as well as Frank Lloyd Wright, I plan on having windows on the side panels, but you will not be able to see inside due to the glass I am going to use:
    [​IMG]

I am also trying to figure out which meter to use:
    [​IMG]
    No, there will be no bubble lights in/on this case :D .

10. Sinix

Sinix What's a Dremel?

I really like the progress of your case mod - looks beautiful. I think the stained glass will make it look even better. Are you planning on using the whole sheet, or actually cutting/taping/soldering a frank lloyd wrightish design? That's some pretty nice glass. I do stained glass, and I have thought about incorperating it into a case mod and was suprised not too many others have done it previously.

11. gebrek

gebrek What's a Dremel?

I really like the work that you've had so far. And as a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright myself, I am really enjoying this project. As for the meter, imo you should use the one just to left and slightly down from the big black one with yellow letters...

12. skeletor

skeletor modder in the making.

very awesome wordworking! i have done my share of capentry, but thats a challenge, and so far your concuring it! the staind glass is also a pretty sweet idea, one i haven't seen yet.. keep up the good work, ill be keeping an eye on this one. :they need a smiley with a saw: :dremel: