1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: 6ig-83457 *¡*TONS of Pictures*!* -=Updated 12-11-05=-

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MrBurritoMan, 10 Jan 2005.

1. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

Updates:
    1-11-05 1-15-05 1-20-05 1-22-05 1-23-05 1-25-05 2-12-05 2-16-05 2-26-05 3-1-05 3-9-05 4-10-05 5-24-05 6-20-05 7-1-05 7-15-05 8-13-05 12-11-05
    =========================================================================================
    well things around my place have been a little dull after finishing much of the 4mm0-83457; so i decided to start another project with something that i dound lying around at my place of employment. i was told that this was the old telephone routing server but i am not sure if that was for something else. so i will let the pictures speak for themselves. on top of making this the fastest computer i will own i plan to make it look realy cool. so here are some plans and pictures:

[​IMG]
    notice anything wierd about this case yet?

[​IMG]
    this panel has two layers of steel to it, so freaking durable...

[​IMG]
    here is the front all closed up

[​IMG]
    here is the panel in the front full of switches and stuff

[​IMG]
    another angle to contemplate

[​IMG]
    here it the guts and orientation of the case, Notice the PSU on the bottom, man that is going to be fun....

[​IMG]
    WOA, what the.....the plugs are on the top under this cover thing......SWEEEET!!

[​IMG]
    good ol reliable 386...such a shame that 8k memory never could be used again...

Last edited: 12 Dec 2005
  2. robotguy9000

robotguy9000 What's a Dremel?

getting an ATX mobo in there will be like cramming the pillsbury dough boy into an oven- it wont go in without a hell of a fight

3. MrBurritoMan

ah on the contrary my friend, have a look what i have done recently...
    first off let me show you what i have purchased..

[​IMG]
    a new tool that i have been so desperately needing....

[​IMG]
    a new toy for ME!!!

[​IMG]
    some paint to get my mind a swiriling...

[​IMG]
    first i had to see if i could get some drives in there without any trouble and it went quite easily...

[​IMG]
    now to rip this POS out of the case, just to let you know this didn't come out without a fight and lots of screws

[​IMG]
    here is the motherboard installed. as you might have guessed, amd socket 754 64bit!! the motherboard actually had 5 of the 9 screw holes already lined up... its suprising a 19 year old case and a 5 hour old board and they almost match up perfectly....

[​IMG]
    here is the back plate, installed it with some minor dremel work and it slipped right in. i will make that look more professional later of course. as for now i need to find the money to buy the rest of this new addition to the 83457 family.

however due to the grace of being able to find a giant case so easily i am having a little trouble with the color scheme. i am partially (see below)blind and my color cordination skills are somewhat lacking. my plans are for a black shiny outside and a yellow inside. i don't know how many times that has been done or if it just sounds boring to the modding population. that is where this thread comes in handy.

what colors do you guys think that i should paint this thing? any imput would be gladly concidered and appriceated. :thumb:

[EDIT]i typed blind above and some how forgot to type color before it. i am moderately colorblind[/EDIT]

4. MrBurritoMan

ok im having a problem with the coloring idea. i want to have this thing radiate green kinda like a radiation storage closet gone bad. however im not sure that the yellow inside will help me accomplish this. my mom said that green light on yellow paint should produce lime green however my dad said that it should produce blue. im really clueless myself as i always mix up colors anyway. please help :wallbash:

5. Nitro_APBT

Nitro_APBT SpiderModder

green on yellow will make a yellowish green. Throw uv yellow with green, and you should have radioactive leakish green.

yellow and blue make green, but it doesn't work the other way around.

Looks good so far BTW.

6. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

This looks to be a really sweet case. I'll be subscribing.

7. Redd_Herring_1974

Redd_Herring_1974 What's a Dremel?

i agree lookin great already....and black and yellow always look good together :D

8. MrBurritoMan

so wait, im confused....(didn't take much i know)
    did you mean UV yellow light...or...paint?

BTW a small update, i just ordered the video card, processor, OS, and PSU.

here are linkies to all of them and where i will be getting them from:
    Video Card(i will be modding this to a Radeon 9800 Pro :D stick around to see)
    Processor
    PSU

and i got the motherboard friday from here:
    Motherboard

oh my what could i ever do with this i just bought....hrm...stick around and see...

9. Redd_Herring_1974

I hate to rain on yer prade but you might wanna cancel your order on that psu it dosent push enough amperage on the 12v rail to power yer mobo stablely msi suggests a minimum of at least 24 amps on the +12v rail and most people on the msi forums say its more like 26 to 28 amps....i just bought the neo platinum board last week and had to buy a new psu to get it runnin right :D just the excuse i been lookin for to get an x-connect :hehe: cus it pushes 34 amps :thumb:

Also i do belive new egg has that same 3000+ for a few bucks cheaper

10. MrBurritoMan

thank you lord for forums and people like these,

well when i go to pcclub to pick up my order i will see what i can do about that psu, and about the processor. i looked in to it and the shipping would have made it more then just going to pcclub to pick it up. :D :thumb:

props on the PSU though, maybe thats why my other MSI boards have acted funny, huh who would have thought :rock: :rock:

11. DoNuT

DoNuT What's a Dremel?

That's a telephone router? Well it looks like it'll be fun to mod. :thumb:

12. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

<geek>The thing about the colors: mixing color pigments and mixing light are different.
    So say yellow pigments mixed with green pigments will create yellow green. But yellow pigments under green light will create......blue(i think your dad was right) but it wont create yellowgreen</geek>

i feel like a geek right there well thats all i remember about last weeks science lesson

13. D1lazarus

D1lazarus What's a Dremel?

Yellow and green pigments like ink or paint mixed together will create anything from a yellow-green to blue to green-yellow it all depends on the proportions that they are mixed at. When you paint in the one color and light it with the other it is much harder to determine exactly what will come out as far as the visual effect. I personally might look at going with a UV reactive flourescent yellow green with a UV reactive cathode and you should be able to get a really nice glow from that. JMHO

14. Badaró

Badaró What's a Dremel?

That case shows lot of potential... I'd never seen anything like that before!

/me subscribes

15. MrBurritoMan

well lets see. i have some yellow paint, a green cathode sitting here and a UV Cathode as well.

hrm.....im gonna have to play around with it. that would be kinda cool though to have the inside of the case glow blue while it is radiating green, then turn off the light and have the inside be yellow.....we shall see im gonna paint some test swatches and see what i get.... :thumb: :thumb: :naughty:

16. Redd_Herring_1974

no problemo man thats what were here for :thumb:

i dunno if this is a general msi issue or not i didt look at any of the other models on the forum but it was mention to pretain especialy to the athlon 64 nvidia based boards and is apparently a well known issue to other brands based on nforce 3 chipsets across the boards :eyebrow:

[EDIT] heres a link to the affore mentioned forum in case you run into any other problems there are several know issues with the neo platinum but it seems most effect all nf3 250 chip based boards

Last edited: 11 Jan 2005
  17. MrBurritoMan

Update 1-11-05
    Well things have been humming along here and i have been working ever so dilligently on the project at hand. i went to the store and online and ordered all of the parts that i will need. now i didn't want to do this because my bank account is now screaming, but really...i don't care. im too excited to see this thing working. so here are some things that i have done and figured out.

i went to Pcclub and the guy there was understanding and very helpful. its nice to have the sympathy of a fellow modder on your side. anyway i found a PSU that supplied 28amps for 12v.

i have been testing the colors and have some conclusions below and most importantly, ITS RUNNING!!!

[​IMG]
    i went to pcclub and spend almost 250US. :sigh: i guess my next mod won't be coming for a while.

some close-ups:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is a beautiful thing installed in its natural habitat...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1 glamor shot for the road

[​IMG]
    installing windows XP pro 64bit edition....

here was a pleasant suprise....my PSU apparently glows....
    [​IMG]
    hmmm... this is giving me ideas :idea:
    [​IMG]
    ooooooo bl0000!!

here are the results of some of the color tests i was doing. i found a piece of cardboard and painted it the yellow from the can i bought just to see what it would look like and low and behold my mom was right. it glows a nice lime green under green light. too bad i don't have any pictures, but im color blind and i could tell that was lime green. it was a beautiful thing to see..... :rock:

here are some other things i tried out.
    i had a blue cathode lying around....
    [​IMG]

and a UV cathode too...
    [​IMG]
    i noticed some zip ties on my desk were glowing so i threw those in to the picture as well.

conclusion from light test:
    i really like the way that the yellow looks under the green light and especially so when the light is turned off, it turns back to a bright caution yellow. the UV light yielded no results to be noticed. this might actually be benifical because i can use the UV light to accent other parts of the case instead of having the whole darn thing glow (which would be cool too but eh what can you do...). the blue light really just kinda drowned out the yellow and almost over-powered it. this light might be better used in another application.

until next time MOD ON!! :rock:

18. Badaró

Badaró What's a Dremel?

Excuse my stupidity, but did you edit that image to blurry some text on the processor? If so, is there a specific reason to do that?
    Hope you understand what I mean, I'm just curious! :D

Your mod is coming along nicely... good job!

19. MrBurritoMan

thanks, well i did that to keep @$$ holes from registering my processor to themselves. also it keeps them from calling in a RMA replacement and basically voiding my serial number. any time you post pictures of your own hardware on the internet you should always do that to keep yourself sane if you have problems. :thumb: :thumb:

20. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

this is off topic but what camera are you using i love the quality of it