1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: 6ig-83457 *¡*TONS of Pictures*!* -=Updated 12-11-05=-

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MrBurritoMan, 10 Jan 2005.

1. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

[OFFTOPIC]its a Canon Powershot S1 IS[/OFFTOPIC]

i have been just looking over the numbers on what i have spent and all and it is actually quite disturbing. all in all it totals ~718 :duh: . im gonna have to ckeck the numbers again but thats what excel said. i think i might have a spending problem :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: . oh well sure does make for nice computers :thumb:

2. BaDDaSS

BaDDaSS What's a Dremel?

Great case! Those ancient ones found in the back of offices always make cool mods :D

3. MrBurritoMan

i went to the Auto Parts store last night and picked up some super fine sand paper and some clear coat. i have a general question for the world. is there a more efficant way to remove powder coat other than powersanding it off with 60 grit paper? its working and kinda slowly at that. at the rate im going it should take me a week to strip the whole case. i really want the paint to stick and look good. i think that i will still go with the yellow inside and black outside. does everyone still think that will look good? i think so but im not set on it. well i will have some pictures later. im gonna do some metal work on the case tonight. :D

4. Hobnob

Hobnob What's a Dremel?

That's not your serial number, it's the stepping code :hehe:

5. MrBurritoMan

?? my serial number was in there. AMD asked for those numbers to register the product :eyebrow: .

6. Xoddoza

Xoddoza What's a Dremel?

Nice. I love the big case. You did a good job with the Backing plate for the Mobo, looks like it belongs there. :D

Keep it up.

7. pumagt500

pumagt500 What's a Dremel?

So friggin awsome :jawdrop: !!! Im also doing a mod on a old case. Your luckey you had standoff holes already my case used rubber standoffs :wallbash: . Mod on.

8. MrBurritoMan

Thanks guys for all the comments, it helps more than you know......

But for now.
    Update 1-15-05

well I have been trying to work on this and my other mod at the same time and needless to say sorting the pictures on my digi cam can get confusing at times....anyway I think I did pretty good this time.

I wanted to use the original drive mounts that are in the case because they use rails and there is plenty of room for expansion however there is a slight problem. I only have one set of the original drive rails. This has proved problematic because I have to mill out some more and that wouldn't be a problem if I had my own mill. But I try to use my friend’s mill when I can here and there. I was able to make two working and functional drive rails in a couple hours just from all of the mess-ups. Here are the final results...
    [​IMG]
    What do you think?

Oh and I installed the rest of the slot covers....
    [​IMG]

Here is what I found inside that old PSU
    [​IMG]
    Interesting eh?

[​IMG]
    A fan controller circuit...ooh!

[​IMG]
    Fans!!!!

[​IMG]
    I could probably fit 2 PSUs in there

[​IMG]
    And I found this on the door; it seems that this could be handy later....

Until next time...MOD ON!!! :rock: (comments please?)

9. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Nice case!

I have a case that uses those very same drive rails. I went to the local used PC parts store and found a few pairs. I don't think I have any spare, but I would suggest if you have a local used PC parts store to look there for some (unless you like the challenge of makeing your own).

That old PSU looks kinda, empty, especially compared to the amount of internals in modern PSUs.

L J

10. MrBurritoMan

hmmm well yeah, my only problem is i would have to pay for the drive rails if i found any that would work. here im getting them for free and i can say that i made them. i know that it would be a few bucks but still. i have almost spent 800US on a computer that i really don't even need. so im gonna try and play it cheap from now on. thanks for the idea though!! it would probably appeal to me more if i wasn't an engineer.

i think i am gonna try and jam the main PSUand and a mod PSU in to the origonal case. the main PSU fits no problems however i don't know what one im gonna use just yet. i have to go and root around for one in my junk heap :p

11. pumagt500

Man good work :thumb: . *subscribed* Ive been following this progect the whole way.

12. MrBurritoMan

okie dokie, her we go once again,

UPDATE 1-20-05

i have been waiting for my video card to come for a while and IT FINALLY DID, so i decided i would do some work on the case as well.

i got this thing on Ebay for about 140US, it is a Radeon 9800SE. i intend on modding it into a Radeon 9800pro eventually, as for right now i am just trying to get things done. here is the card without its crappy stock heatsink:
    [​IMG]

here is a close up of the GPU, all of you who know Radeon GPUs take notice this is no ordinary bottom of the bucket GPU. this is the same GPU that they put in to the new radeon 9800xt. when i try the mod to a pro and it is sucessful i will try to mod it on to a XT :naughty: :naughty:. man i love ebay.
    [​IMG]

so with all of the mods and heavy gaming that i intend on doing on this machine i needed a serious heatsink that would keep up. and i had a Thermal Take Giant II lying around. having good luck with mos thermal take products i decided to have a go with it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and having the modder in me scream for something to be done with that fanless heatsink i decided to do this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here it is in it's new home:
    [​IMG]

well i wanted to start working on the PSU and the first thing to be done was to move the power plug to the top with the rest of the protected plugs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ta da! installed and ready to go....

i was working on the PSU so fast i didnt have time to take may pictures. no worries though i will take more pictures when i paint it and install the second PSU.
    [​IMG]

here is where the plug is inserted for the PSU. it is on the inside of the case allowing me to keep unwanted tampering to a minimum. my goal with this and most of my mods is to keep the parts as close to factory condition as i possibly can because this makes upgrading and fixing things much faster to deal with. i have had cases where i modded every part and it was a pain when something broke.
    [​IMG]
    anyway that explination aside more updates to come soon..... :thumb:

13. MrBurritoMan

no comments.......ouch...... :p

14. pumagt500

Lmao
    Guten job.

15. Muon

Muon What's a Dremel?

thats a total mod! very very very good job!!!!! i'm loving how this is going!

16. MrBurritoMan

thanks!

well its quite ironic the way that windows has been acting. it is easier to install the beta version of win XP pro 64bit than the final version that has been around forever, :eyebrow: dont know what that is about. anyway i have had some ideas about where i will be taking this mod and i have been drawing on any paper that i can find. its really late now so i will post my ideas tomorrow, just had to vent a little about this freaking windows install :sigh:

17. pumagt500

I just took a good look at ur vid card. That looks REALLY good. Giving me idears for my mod. Mod on :rock:

18. MrBurritoMan

Update 1-22-05

well its that time again folks, i have been working hard and am now able to produca a small but necessary update. i have been working quite a bit on my ammo can PC mod and along side it i have been slowly working on this.

i needed a place to paint without all the kamakazi bugs and such messing up my work. so i made one of these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the blue cloth is the door. i hold it down with a log to keep it shut. :thumb:

now i have to sand mos the powercoat off and prep the case for paint. i wanted to try the clear coat and i did so but i had a problem. the bottle was sputtering everywhere. it coated my hand and made a general mess on the test piece. i am going to have to go to the auto parts store to see what can be done about that.

i have also been working on some drawings to try and spark my creativity.

here is an object that i saw and it rememinded me of my project. it is also from a game that i really like to play and am hosting a server for on my computer. :idea:
    [​IMG]

i have some drawings as well however i am in the process of locating said drawings. :sigh:

until next time MOD ON!! :rock: :dremel:

19. MrBurritoMan

Update 1-23-05

well i decided to give this special event an update of its own. so here it is my video card has been upgraded for free :D. i just turned my pitiful (i say that teasingly) radeon 9800se in to a Radeon 9800pro for nothing. here are some screen shots for you non-believers out there:

[​IMG]
    before

[​IMG]
    after

notice anything? yeah that card is going to run alot faster now and the best part is no artifacts, this means that the chip that was put in to my card was a full fledged Radeon 9800pro dummied down to a 9800se. hrmmmmm i wonder if i can get this up to pro speeds now. more in the morning....for now, sleep

20. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

cool i wish i could have that card.....even more now