1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: 6ig-83457 *¡*TONS of Pictures*!* -=Updated 12-11-05=-

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MrBurritoMan, 10 Jan 2005.

1. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

well sorry couldn't help how long does the process take to remove

2. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

about a good 20min total for each application. you have to wait for it to bubble up and them you have to peel it off and then you are done. the only thing about the fumes is they begin to get strong as soon as you open the can so work fast.....

3. CaseyBlackburn

cause i was thinking is there some way to fix a blowdryer, propane heater, or and other heater to the table or work area of where you are working to keep it in the tempauture that it works at.

4. MrBurritoMan

rofl yeah i tried that and when i did it was getting colder so it might work in the middle of the day.....if there is a day where they are projecting some heat or something then i will take the day off of work and finish the powder coat removal. as for the case i am still trying to nail down a theme of some sort. i am still leaning towards the hazardous substance type themes however i am worried i might just be beating a dead horse. what about an 80's themed computer scape (since this thing is from the 80s and all). what about a smaller remake of the W.O.P.R computer found in the popular 80s film WarGames?

example:
    [​IMG]

ideas?

5. CaseyBlackburn

hmm interesting computer hmmm. hmmm hmmn hmmm hmmm hmmm (now thinking about pc:)hmm hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm i like

6. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Shall. We. Play. A. Game?

I like the idea.

Is it just me or does this picture look to anyone else like a lime meringue pie (instead of lemon). Mmmmmmmm Piiiiiiiiiiie.
    [​IMG]

7. MrBurritoMan

im still a bit iffy about the WOPR idea however i am glad to see that it brought out more of a responce in the modding community. that type of mod just doesn't seem like something that would really fit this case however i could be wrong, totally wrong. i am still looking for inspiration pieces that will spark my modding mind in to a fit of sparks and solder to create the final masterpiece.
    what do you guys think?
    what does this case look like to you when you saw it for the first time?
    did it really look like just an old computer?

it has some great holes and places already in it that i would like to use to create some killer lighting effects. anyway please post comments and suggestions. i am very intrested as to how this will come out with your help....

8. Nitro_APBT

Nitro_APBT SpiderModder

sorry to "wander" here, but my computer's "name" is ******* Son of WOPR

I thought I was the only one who remembered that

9. CaseyBlackburn

well when i first saw it it was an ugly metal box i didn't even think it was computer. but i think the computer would look cool if it had a hi-tech with many gadgets look to it and a nice paint and design on the outside
    i hope this helps
    This probaly doesn't make sense

10. MrBurritoMan

hmmmm well I think that you have had the right idea all along. I think it is time to use this box to pay tribute to the thing that haunts and blesses all of the good little modders around the world, electricity. Yeap that’s right I think that I am going to do an electrical hazard type theme with this box and the more that I think about it the more I like it.

like was said above it just looked like a ugly box, and you are right it is but what also is a big ugly box yet bears the wonderful gift of life to all of our computers alike? Transformers and electrical equipment of course. they are like you described my case above are big ugly boxes and every time I look at it and think about it just makes more and more sense. It actually looks like a transformer. I will of course have to stealth the drives in front to make it look less like a computer.

I really think this will work and quite beautifully. Now I just have to plan the specifics. Like little accents to finish off the theme, lighting, special mods, painting, yadda yadda...you know the drill by now. Ok ENOUGH CHATTER BACK TO WORK!!

Oh I found these too. they will make nice accents to the case with the right placement and size of course....

11. CaseyBlackburn

glad i could help and glad you finally have a set design

12. MrBurritoMan

UPDATE!! 2-12-05
    Well the weather has been forgiving enough today for me to finish removing the rest of the powder coat on the case. I was also able to finish making the custom drive rails so I can now mount my drives instead of having them lying around. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (The "stop" was for my nephews for those of you who were wondering :cooldude: )

[​IMG]

Here is the case stripped and put back together. There are a few bits of powder coat here and there and they will flake off when the case dries out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately when I got this case there were only two drive rails that could be found and that left me to have to make more so I did and here they are....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here is the stack of drives that will make up this computer. In the end the optical drives will be stilted....more on that later.

I also picked up some things to start the actual modding on this case.
    A plasma ball from wal-mart
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The disk is for size comparison.

[​IMG]
    I also got some perforated metal to make fan grates out of and to create cool lighting effects. More on that later....

[​IMG]
    Here is the whole piece, which is actually quite sizeable, and my assistant (as old as I am :thumb:)
    [EDIT]Forgot to add the "update" at the top :p [/EDIT]

13. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

Have a look on your cpu. If i saw correctly it said amd 2001. Does that mean it was year of manufacture was 2001. Havn't the y only been on the market a couple of years tops. Nice mod by the way.

14. CaseyBlackburn

cool cant wait to see what you have in store for all of this stuff i really cant wait for the plasma ball

15. MrBurritoMan

yeah and i have some other effects on the way as well that are just as cool as that plasma ball. i really can't wait to see how they are going to look together.... :naughty:

16. CaseyBlackburn

cool can we maybe have a teaser

17. MrBurritoMan

ummmm...hmmmmm. how can i put this without blowing it....it looks way cool and its blue...and it glows. there i have said too much already :D. i will go and pick it up on monday so i will tell you guys more then...for now. comments.... :thumb:
    [EDIT]ok ok ok, i would admit i was a bit vauge so here is another clue, it reacts to sound, and it is not a cathode or neon. :rock: [/EDIT]

18. CaseyBlackburn

cool just 1 day till we get to see

<offtopic> Where do you get all your avatars</offtopic>

19. MrBurritoMan

hmmmm maybe it is the date that they had to renew their copyright information or something... no idea. all i know is the chip works and it is crazy fast. thats all thats important to me :cooldude: :rock:

20. CaseyBlackburn

yeah that is probaly the last time they renewed there copyright info