1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: 6ig-83457 *¡*TONS of Pictures*!* -=Updated 12-11-05=-

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MrBurritoMan, 10 Jan 2005.

1. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

well i have some bad news. that POS Plasma ball that i got from Wal-Mart broke. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: i barely tapped it and it put a nice hole where my finget hit. :duh: :duh: :duh: im gonna take it back to Wal-Mart. i wouldn't want to return it if i didnt have to pick up the glass because when i was doing so i found the glass to be extremely thin and varying in thickness. :eyebrow: also when i was inspecting the glass soon after i purchased it i found a defect in the glass and thought nothing of it. :miffed: i guess i might have hit that exact spot or something. :grr: anyway we shall see what the return clerk at Wal-Mart says. oh yeah im going to pick up a new plasma ball and that other special effect today as well. More soon...

2. duggyb

duggyb What's a Dremel?

i have an old computer like that....lol it weighs about 15 hundred pounds......never thought of modding it for new hardware

hmmmmmmm......ideas ideas

Duggy :dremel:

Last edited: 25 Mar 2005
  3. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

that sucks about the plasma ball well hope you can exchange it

4. MrBurritoMan

oh well i returned it because it was a bit big to put in a case like that. so i returned it and bought a different sized one from another store where i bought my other little effects for this case. i am also working on placement of these effects so that people can interact with them and the plasma ball. with the design that i want to use this case will look like some futureistic generator. i will try to scan and post some design drawings tonight if i have the time. lately i haven't had much time to work on this project or my 4mm0-83457. more in a few....

5. CaseyBlackburn

no pics of the other goodies

6. MrBurritoMan

well i

Update 2-16-05

well i drew some quick sketches and after many tried and failed plans i have something that looks relatively cool. please, please, please tell me what you think. i have a horrible taste in style and stuff like that so comments are welcome. here are some pics of what i created....

[​IMG]CLicky Clicky

the thick lines will be tubing looking like really thick wires and they will actually be connected to the plasma ball making this thing look legitimate. the dotted hole things will be made out of preferated metal. the motherboard and drive backings will be covered in preferated metal and back lit. i don't think i missed anything....

oh and i think you wanted pictures of this....
    [​IMG]
    boxes...

[​IMG]
    all the toys

[​IMG]
    plasma ball...

[​IMG]
    LUMIN PANEL!!! w007! this thing is Sick! :rock: :rock: more later....

7. The Lost Monk

The Lost Monk What's a Dremel?

looks cool, ill be keeping an eye on this

8. CaseyBlackburn

thanks for the pics

the plan looks very sick (i think i read all scratchy writing correctly. You write like me)

keep on going

9. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Yea those panels are pretty cool. I saw large ones on a few different websites and thought it would be cool to use in a mod. :rock:

Looking good

10. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

your drawing looks like you're going to combine the lumins - are you? can you?
    not seen it done, but could be amazing...

11. MrBurritoMan

combine them? how do you mean? i am going to tie them in to the project so it looks like they are electronically working together, is that what you mean? sorry its been a long morning already, and i just got up...... :sigh:

12. AutoExec

AutoExec What's a Dremel?

you should make the lumin panels work as switches.. like volume control or something :) and power button :D

13. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

well, I can't see the circles in your drawing so I wondered if you were going to open them up and make one big one or something?
    probably impossible of course.

14. MrBurritoMan

yeah if i was to open them the inert gass would escape and that would be the end of that. they are incorperated in to the door/side panel area. they are in the middle of the keyhole looking things. anyway yeah i just drew it out to quickly get an idea of what i am doing. i will draw it out in sketchup a bit later so you can get an idea of what the final project will look like.....more tomorrow, going on a camp-out later today. :D

[EDIT]you didn't see that i wrote "lumin panels" on the drawing right above two aarows? i just looked at the drawing again because i thought i made it clear in that, eh oh well...[/EDIT]

15. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

sorry, I got confused with the scale - I thought the swirls on the side of the case where the lines the lumins make.
    my bad.

16. MrBurritoMan

well its about time so i think i will do another....
    UPDATE 2-26-05

alright so here we go. first of all i have picked up a few things for this project.

i picked up some primer in anticipation of actually finishing this project.
    [​IMG]

some plexi for the windows and such
    [​IMG]

some nuts and bolts to go around the windows
    [​IMG]

a new mask and some heatsinks that i will chop later for ram sinks
    [​IMG]

a dremel flex shaft, i have had my eye on this for a while anyway. would have helped earlier when i was modding that keyboard.
    [​IMG]

some blue cathode tubes for making the frosted plexy glow nice. :thumb:
    [​IMG]

had this lying around...some fiber cable. might be able to work this in some how. :naughty:
    [​IMG]

and the work goes on!!
    the next thing that i wanted to do was cut out the sides of the case and do as much metal work as possible today to get all that out of the way. so here is the saga that i went through.

i found a easy way to make rounded corners :idea:
    [​IMG]
    not like anybody has done that before :)

[​IMG]
    top ready to go

more on next post....

17. MrBurritoMan

so many pictures too many limits.... :sigh:

i thought that the reinforced dremel bits would make short work of this case and i would be done in about an hour or so. well that wasn't the case at all.
    [​IMG]
    the dremel bit lasted about that long. i am not going to foolishly waste these things.

so i move to a better tool and i use a jig saw to cut out the rest and it worked fairly well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

oh and i wanted to see how the bolts would look on the case and i think that they will work out just fine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then i started to cut the stainless steel preferated sheet metal and i ran in to a problem. well whatever the case was made out of the jig saw blades loved it and ran right through it. this steel though burned up two blades in no time and i didn't even get to finish cutting off one piece. :grr:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

so i moved on to the ban saw and that went easily and quickly.

then i started to think about the front and side and now that i don't have any jig saw blades left i decided to use the plasma torch. :thumb:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    just a bit of work left to clean up and that bad boy is done :p

on and i did the front too it looks really good after i attacked it with the angle grinder as well.
    [​IMG]

comments, suggestions, rants? :thumb:

18. CaseyBlackburn

man i dont understand you you have a plasma torch and still using the old dremal and jigsaw to cut rectanglular areas but also looks good

19. emesdee

emesdee What's a Dremel?

Cool project :thumb:, I love teh older cases. They might weigh a tonne, but they can certainly take a pasting.

Is that the back end of a black cat in the top left of the last pic?

20. MrBurritoMan

yeap same cat that is in the last pic on post 92. :D