1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project: 7hr08ik

Discussion in 'Modding' started by 7hr08ik, 15 Mar 2010.

1. 7hr08ik

7hr08ik Kill all Humans!

This is my case / pc mod in progress.

This is project 7hr08ik, it`s a work in progress and so far I'm well happy with it.

This is my first and so far only case mod. I'm not some fancy IT engineer, or a server technician. I work in a low paying minimum wage job, because that the best I can do. I can`t afford to go out spending £400-500 a week on parts, I'm lucky if i can afford £100 a month. (Damn Ladbrokes!!!)

My facilities consist of the front room floor, the table. Oh and a dremmel.

So I would like to point out that this project has been on going for several years now. I started out at 16 years old with an AMD 64 beige pc from Time. Yeah, you remember Time don't ya....lol.
    A friend of mine introduced me to Custom PC and helped me with my first upgrade. I bought his unused Coolermaster Stacker, added more RAM to my machine, and a 8800GT. After a few years, and alot of saving money, I have been slowly buying more parts, selling old pieces, a few choice ebay sales. And I have just bought my Coolermaster HAF 932.

So this is were i stand at the moment:

Case - Coolermaster HAF 932
    Mobo - Biostar t-power i45
    CPU - Q6600 G0 stepping core (OC`d from 2.4 > 3.35GHz
    Cooler - Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro
    RAM - 8Gb Kingston PC6400 800MHz (not OC`d YET)
    GPU - nVidia GeForce GTX 275 (OC`d To Core: 726Mhz Shader: 1610Mhz Memory: 1312Mhz)
    HDD - 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1, Samsung Spinpoint Ecogreen 1.5TB, + Hitachi 300GB
    PSU - Enermax Galaxy 1000watt modular

I decided that other case mods just weren't what I wanted and decided on a metal themed case (that`s Heavy Metal BTW) The overall idea is to have my case glowing green, with a throbbing of red inside. m hoping to find some programmable LED's or something that I can use. The black beast with the evil inside. A black monster that pulsates red from within the green glowing interior. But for now the main focus is getting the case personalised, and upgraded.

So to start with this is the beginning. The case as it starts out. Nice big, fat fans. Nice big open side panel that suits perfectly to coat my Mobo with a fine layer of dust and clog my GTX 275.

[​IMG]

And the internals. Nicely coated with dust.

[​IMG]

So obviously the first thing that needed to be done is the gaping hole in the side of the case needs to be removed and replaced with a sheet of plastic. Through testing of having the fan on and off. For several gaming sessions at a time. I have come to the conclusion that its pointless, as-well as being a dust blower. I have found no thermal, or practical need for it to be there. If anything it impedes air flow from front to back of the case. While I was at it, I decided i wanted to replace the top window with a clear sheet of perspex instead of the criss-cross design that was there (I wanna see everything inside in its full glory)

So after wearing out 2 grind plate on the dremmel it hit me! The damn case is steel! Not aluminium. Lol. So a pair of tin snips were acquired. And the side panel was removed. I knew I wanted to replace the "HAF" emblem with my own tag. So the next stage was to respray the side panel.

[​IMG]

And another coat

[​IMG]

Now at this point, i should have about 10 more photo`s showing how i got "7hr08ik" on the side of the case. But thanks to a retard of a flat mate. The camera was cleaned out before i got chance to get the photo`s off. So all I have is a set of after photo`s.

But i can tell you how I did it.

As this was my first case mod, and spending £120 of my hard earned, rarely spare cash. I was quite dubious at the idea of etching the case. Plus, as to the nature of the mod, a slightly rough n ready look to the finish would be desirable. So after the second coat of respray was completely dry, I masked the entire area with masking tape. And, using a stanely knife, I began to carve the "7hr08ik" out if the mask. Creating a very nice template. I also decided that the 5 vents should be painted along with the emblem. So they were also, masked and templated.

Then I began with the first of 3 coats of Silver paint. Allowing a good 6 hours between each coat, and 12 after the final coat before, very slowly and carefully, peeling off the template. (don`t want the paint to come off as-well)

And the final product was just like so:-

[​IMG]

I am very impressed with the outcome of this custom tag. It`s awesome :)

The next thing to was put the perspex panels in and finish them off with a something metal, shiny yet plyable enough to work round the angles. So after a brain storming session I came up with window leading. You know the stuff you can buy to make cheap ass stain glass window effects for your grandmas conservatory? Well you can buy the stuff on a roll approx 20m for about £15. So that was that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So finally the side panel was complete. Resprayed, customized, new panels in place. The next thing to do was build the system up, and get the UV and green Cathodes, the red fans and everything back inside the case, along with a long time spent cable tidying.

Here are the finished pictures of the first stage of my mod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know it`s not a major mod, nothing in comparison to some of the awesome work done by some of the big names in these forums. But considering it`s my first mod. And i have just my front room floor to do my work in. Im very happy and impressed by my work. Nicely customized side panel, a good healthy overclock. Now i need to start buying and working on getting the watercooling parts i need.

[Watercooling Update]

Well, the radiator has arrived along with my waterblocks and the reservoir. So its time to get them installed.

Radiator - Blackice GT 3x120mm
    Reservoir - XSPC Dual slot langDCC model
    Pump - LaingDDC 12V DDC-1T Plus
    Waterblock CPU - Swiftech Apogee XT Extreme Rev 2.
    Waterblock GPU - EK-FC275 GTX PCB - Acetal+Nickel

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

This case just keeps on impressing me with every step of the upgrade I take. Just look at the amount of room that's left.
    [​IMG]

Well that's all for now, but soon enough i shall have the money, and i`ll buy the rest of what i need.

[Update - DISASTER!!!]

Well, I finally got everything I needed. All the fittings, all the tubing etc. After dismantling the rig, and setting up the watercooling. 3 days of leak testing. I got loads of wonderful photos of the finished rig. I got it all up and running, and of course I began to see if could get a bigger overclock out of my rig. The final parts consisted of:

Case - Coolermaster HAF 932
    Mobo - Biostar t-power i45
    CPU - Q6600 G0 stepping core (OC`d from 2.4 > 3.35GHz
    RAM - 8Gb Kingston PC6400 800MHz (OC`d to 900MHz)
    GPU - nVidia GeForce GTX 275 (OC`d To Core: 726Mhz Shader: 1610Mhz Memory: 1312Mhz)
    HDD - 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1, Samsung Spinpoint Ecogreen 1.5TB, + Hitatchi 300GB
    PSU - Enermax Galaxy 1000watt modular
    Fans - Phobya Nano-2G Silent 1500rpm Red LED Double Blade
    Radiator - Blackice GT 3x120mm + Blackice Stealth 120mm
    Reservior - XSPC Dual slot langDCC model
    Pump - Laing DDC 12V DDC-1T Plus
    Waterblock CPU - Swiftech Apogee XT Extreme Performance
    Waterblock GPU - EK-FC275 GTX PCB - Acetal+Nickel
    Fittings - Compression fittings
    Tubing - Masterkleer PVC 19/13mm UV-Reactive Dark Red

Everything was going great. And before you think it, no i didn`t have a leak, or a hose pop out. The watercooling was working brilliantly. No matter how nervious i was about the compression fittings, or the fact that the PC industry seems to have consulted not 1 single plumber to assist in the design of watercooling.

No the system was up and running perfectly fine. I was in the midst of overclocking my Q6600. I mean, I have a triple and a single BlackIce rad cooling my system. I had the CPU upto 3.7GHz stable. I knocked the RAM back down to a 1:1 ratio while OCing. I decided to try and 3.8 out of the CPU then I was going to call it a day. 3.8GHz would be an awesome overclock.

So i rebooted, jumped into BIOS an upped the FSB. The system posted fine and booted up into windows. So i loaded up CPUz, CoreTemp, and prime95. I began to test it. but unfortunatley it wouldn't bench. So i restarted, and upped the CPU voltage, but still wasn`t stable, so i upped the PLL and put a bit more fsb voltage thrugh it. Booted fine, loaded everything and began to bench test it. All was going swimmingly, 2 hours pased and it was all fine. The CPU was running at 54'C at full load. So I got the laptop out and started to play Black Prophecy. Getting settled in for the evening, expecting to leave the PC running prime95 overnight to fully test the overclock, and the cooling.

Suddenly, the entire rig ust went dead. No shutdown, no errors, just death. Instantanious OFF. "What the f...."

Flash!!!

The dam VRM`s burst into flames!!

I have actually managed to set my Biostar T-power i45 mobo alight from overclocking a Q6600 G0 stepping CPU to 3.8GHz. OMG!

Imressive, funny but not so good for my mod.

So unfortunately, i am currently running and old AMD 64 x2, Just so i dont go stir crazy. I managed to get the CPU and the RAM tested through a friend. They are safe, working fine. But it`s Sept 2011. Why should i bother replacing my 3-4 year old mobo???

Well, thanks to a promotion at work, some carefull ebaying of my precious CPU, RAM, and some other parts. Along with a nice present from Mr TAX Man. I am just waiting for my upgrade to arrive.

I going to leave the watercooling along for a while though. I know a few plumbers, and they have taken a look at some of the comression fittings and the tubing and all had the same response....OMG! Is that what they use??? After some looking and talking, I have decided to sell the compression fittings, and go for lifetime guranteed German engineered plumber fittings. After all, everything is built with british standard G1/4 screw fittings. And for the same price as a compression fitting, you can buy an amazing peice of plumbing engineering. The same size as pc fittings, yet 100x more reliable, and instantly waterproof. Plus nice cheap aluminium reinforced tubing.

Besides, i've got my upgrade comming soon, and im sure it1ll keep my entertained for a few weeks untill i get the watercooling back up and running. Atleast i've had my learning curve. Realised a few things. Made my mind up on a few things.

Oh incase your curious, the upgrade is going to be:

CPU - i5 2500K
    Cooler - Be Quiet Dark Rock PRO
    Mobo - Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme-Z
    RAM - Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 – 1.5V (Might go for 16Gb just to be exessive :p)

Last edited: 24 Sep 2011
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Needs pics for project log sorry.

3. 7hr08ik

7hr08ik Kill all Humans!

I can`t wait for my new stuff to arrive. Sick of this AMD 64 x2. It`s crap!