1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Accelerant -- April 5. --

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TheRedJew, 5 Apr 2008.

1. TheRedJew

TheRedJew What's a Dremel?

I started this project about 2-3 weeks ago and haven't had a lot of time to work on it or money.
    But now i should have both of them, it being spring break! :D This mod wont have any
    hardware in it as of yet and im actually going to give it to a friend as a bribe to buy a new
    computer. The new computer will be a 780i, 3 8600 gts 512mb, 2.66 core 2 duo, 4gb ram, 1200W
    psu, and unfortunately my friend was to afraid to water cool so i am going to air cool with at least
    1 of many big f#$!in fan.

I did some out line on paper then onto photoshop but because im knew i would change the plans i
    didnt move to sketch-up, im not going to show any photoshop early concepts because they have
    been completely revamped. The theme is going to be black and red with hopefully some red pinstripes
    and red l.e.d.'s

this i the frame of the junk case im modding for my first time
    [​IMG]

this is the first cut i did, got idea from a throwing axe - jigsaw, dremel grinding
    [​IMG]

i did this without a whole saw because i had didn't realize i was going to get a set 1 week later - jigsaw, dremel grinding
    [​IMG]
    this is the vent im going to mount after i paint
    [​IMG]

im cutting a fan grill wit an A in it for a cool effect and a little air movement - bloody hand drill cause my drill press had a jig setup so i had no choice
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is the new front panel im making, you can sorta see the pen marks where im going to cut the plexi to make opening doors. -band saw, heatgun
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Apr 2008
  2. TheRedJew

this is a terrible photoshop but i want to put a scoope type thing on the top of my computer as a blow hole
    it should be around 150mm at bottom and maybe a second 80 mm at top

[​IMG]

i also wanted to put some pin stripes on to my case in metallic red against the flat black backround
    i haven't decided on a design for them but i want it be big on the side panel, i thought about vinyl but i would
    much rather paint it for the experience and quality but i am limited to spray cans i don't know the masking techniques or
    others that are needed to paint pin stripes.

3. TheRedJew

for the main side panel with the axe i want to cut it in almost half and have hinges on both ends and also the hinges on the door in the front panel i am having the same problem on.
    i need a open/close mechanism that will hold shut but can open with some ease especialy on the front door where on the back i need something that will hold shut a little better.

4. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Looking decent, I think the top blow hole should be a little round.
    And for the doors, use magnets to hold them together. or a hook/clasp system.

5. TheRedJew

yeah i like the magnet idea, i was thinking something like but maybe with a spring on the magnet. would a hardware store cary something like that?

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Everyone makes top blowholes that face forward, then complain about the noise it makes. I would turn it around and make it a rear exaust. -but hey! First mods are about learning new tricks. Since it's not going to be your case, go nuts! Make all kinds of crazy parts and cuts just because you can.:D

7. TheRedJew

,|
    -O - ill aim it right at him.....laser guided!
    ,|

when i do i the blow hole ill make sure to put in quite fans and depending on the look aim it backwards.
    but you right about one thing i need to add something that'll drive my friend nuts...hmmm

http://www.techdigest.tv/2008/02/is_the_usb_parr.html encased in a acrylic box so he cant get at it without breaking stuff! take it apart and just put the insides hidden within the case so his computer will randomly repeat what he has said....o i like that 1!!!

Last edited: 6 Apr 2008
  8. TheRedJew

yay my first update!

imagine it red, i don't own a red fan so deal
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Apr 2008
  9. Slappy Moose

Slappy Moose What's a Dremel?

Dude, that cut right there needs some major sassification.

10. TheRedJew

Last edited: 6 Apr 2008
  11. TheRedJew

o just realized u did the hypnotaod mod that 1 is awesome. howd u get those beveled edges where the motherboard plate is?

12. Cheapskate

You CAN bump the 'Toad thread... I'm working on it right now.:hehe:
    (No love for the 'Toad...)
    I used a countersink bit in a drill press. I used a board with L-angles bolted to it under the panel so I could slide it across the bit in a straight line. The same thing could be done with a router.

13. TheRedJew

u can use a countersink to slide across plastic like a router?

Last edited: 5 May 2008
  14. TheRedJew

i apologize for lack of detailed explanation on where i want to go with this case or a sketch-up model of my hope for a result but i really dont know what i am doing here, just sorta going with the flow. I figure that that is the reason for the lack of comments.

Anyways here is my recent purchase of things to add to this case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i bought these 2 paints but need HELP....any idea on a good lacker to keep the paint from scratching?
    [​IMG]

greatest switch of all time....gunna have a long cord attached and you will pick up and hold and turn-on (blow-up) the computer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

Great switch hehe But you can't play anything if you blow up your PC ^^

16. TheRedJew

the build is for a friend so i still can play games after he blows up his computer... :D

17. Xer0-

Xer0- Waste of space

Are you going to wire the switch to be able to be unplugged?

18. Cheapskate

Yes. I used a NEW 6 flute countersink.
    You should take those stanley handles back to the store. Those are for fence gates and will look bad. If you want handles, you look around in the cabinet hardware area.

19. TheRedJew

what do you think should it be able to be able to be unplugged? i could make it wireless, nvm no budget.
    sry cheapskate i cant take ur advice cause i like these handles, i know what ur saying about cabinet handles i have a story about them that happened on
    my way out the store from getting these but i like the blandness of them. ty anyways

20. TheRedJew

Woop!! just painted my frame, looks sweat on first coat, sry for crap photos. Im doing a black and red theme, the frame is going to be all black but the panels will have red acrylic and red pin striped and possibly edges. If anyone has any advice on pin stripping PLEASE, PLEASE give me your advice!\

bare metal
    [​IMG]

primer
    [​IMG]

1st coat of black
    [​IMG]

Tags: