1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Acero

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 11 Jun 2012.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I love how you got the plastic perfectly flush. The glass button looks good, but I'd save that for when the rig is at home...so good call on not using it. It would likely disappear at a show.

2. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

The silence is deafening. That's OK.

Engadget

Edit: Sorry. Had one of those "Hello. Is this thing working?" moments. :hehe:

Last edited: 29 Jun 2012
    theoeyeo likes this.
  3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I said what I thought on my last comment so would have been repeating myself like drunks do :lol::p, this is sweet. :D:clap:

But yeah, where are all the other comments that are due?. Is this what happens when modders get so good at their craft that they can whirl super high quality up in a speedy time thanks to all the built up experience?, I don't understand it really, takes some time & dedication to get this good, it's masterclass modding & being semi ignored on a big tech/modding forum. :confused:

Do people automatically consider it elitism or something just because someone got good at something they enjoy, even I have been called an elitist & is so not true, I've just improved my craft with each build like all modders do. :dremel:

Just noticed the Engadget addition, 8th time around :D congrats again mate. :):clap:

4. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Great work Slipperyskip, just browsed your site and I'm impressed with your previous mods too. All of them look stunning :)

There are alot of silent viewers here, my thread has 125 replies, but over 19k views.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2012
  5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

There's so much silence, because people are speechless when they see your mastercraft-pieces :p

6. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

what can we say? excellent woodwork! great design! outstanding craftsmanship! there is nothing we can add or subtract here with words :)

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Hit them all in one & sure, why not, :D much better than imagining yourself showing a mod while tumbleweeds blow past you as if you told a weak joke, kind of how it can feel with lack of response. :hehe:

Nice thing about skips projects also is he tells of how things are done to such a good standard also which enables others to get better also, cutting out a good bit of extra trial & error, not just a show & tell. :)

Even just a.
    :clap::clap::clap:
    Is good for knowing your not playing a concert in an empty venue. :D

8. theoeyeo

theoeyeo What's a Dremel?

big fan of wood mods and this one is like your others - fantastic!

9. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

This is my comment. I notice, I just have nothing further to say, as I do believe it would come out all mumbledsmushed garbled beyond... oh there we go ... :lol:

Great work :)

10. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate all the comments and kind words. It has been fun!

I just got banned over at the Raspberry Pi forums. I get a lot of traffic to my website from there so I decided to join up and post a thread featuring Acero. One of their users posted a link to his etsy.com sales page pimping his RPi case. I complained about it and they banned me. Both hilarious and sad.

I'm standing by to answer any and all questions about VIA's wonderful new product, the APC 8750. :hehe:

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

That was harsh banning you over something like that. :sigh:

ps sorry for carry on randomly pulling the soapbox out :D sometimes get a little sensitive when tired & forget some netiquette & I get tired a lot. :lol::duh:

12. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

If it wasn't for you and Cheaps this place wouldn't be sh!t. Don't ever change bro. I've been kicked out of better forums for dumber stuff. Got kicked out of Ars Technica for deleting my own photos. Some useless turd called one of my projects a chicken coop and claimed it was just constructive criticism. He was a paid subscriber so that meant he had asshole rights. I didn't say anything just removed my photos from their forum. It's always a good day when I get banned from a place run by pompous idiots. Hell, a couple of months ago I banned myself from bit-tech for awhile for being dickish. Now that's hard yo.

13. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Interesting choice of words there :worried: :eyebrow: :D

I'm on several forums and notice that there is a massive gulf between the number of members ( 25,000+ ), and the number of regular posters ( ~50-100 ); I wouldn't be too disheartened by the lack of replies. The sheer number of views some threads gets is a good indicator of how many people like or atleast are interested in your work ( that goes for any project log too ), peeps are just shy and don't really know what to say sometimes, especially if they are just repeating themselves or other people's thoughts.

I always enjoy your builds and love the attention to detail you display, it's a lesson in perfection :thumb:

14. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Neil and I'll use any damn words I want. j/k :D

I've had some questions from people about the video capabilities of the board. I shot this video showing a 720p .mkv file being played from a USB flash drive. I'm using the VGA port hooked up to an old 15" Viewsonic monitor. I didn't take the time to adjust anything including widescreen (if that's even possible). The monitor was dusty and the camera wasn't doing it justice but here it is anyway...

15. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

good words there! i know a couple of the users here personally and quite a buch of them are relly shy cuz very many of us doesn't have english as a native language and really struggles with it, especially when we get hammered at for not typing perfect english... :( (gotta say that bt users are quite nice to the bad-spellers tho :) if compared to the rest of internet... )

mumbeled at bit off :p

OT: Really good looking build skip and FANTASTIC finish of the flush panels, those panels are not big and there are no gaps! Absolutely a lot of craftmanship!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

16. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks kelmannen! My "quietness" comment was more about the lack of response to my videos. Shooting videos and posting them is new to me and I was expecting more I guess. We all have our moments.

I don't think I have ever dropped a real serious turd in my modding career. It will happen. I have always wondered what it will sound like. My guess is it will be very quiet.

OT...720p video plays great on my 40" HDTV using a VGA cable. I have discovered that the board I have is not a production unit. It has half the storage and a portion of the RAM. More importantly, it doesn't have Angry Birds installed as promised for the production model. Sigh. I probably shouldn't write about it anymore. (The crowd goes wild.)

Last edited: 1 Jul 2012
  17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Really do like this mod! Hope mine is even a fraction as good as this. I think the only disappoint in this whole thread is the lack of angry birds being bundled.

But amazing work as always.

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thanks, but there's a lot more here that still have that crazy builder enthusiasm.:D You need to get out of Florida. I'm hearing a lot of gangsta-isms from you lately.:lol:
    I just got back from reading the 12 year olds at Endgadget poo-pooing. I get the feeling a lot of them think this rig is full ATX.

I didn't comment on the vids because I don't have sound on the surfer. For all I know, you could be singing obscene parodies of show tunes off-key.
    ...That's what I do on video at least.

19. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Yo Yo Yo Ima just tryin' to average out all the Wonderbread around me. Scale is important in case modding but that doesn't affect most people. I kinda live down here alone. News sites won't give out free advertising so the Coke can as the USC really backfires. Some other writers were emphatic about their readers mis-judging the size but that doesn't help the link impaired.

I posted a video during Aerodyne that accidentally had my iPad faintly playing a Steely Dan song in the background. The YouTube police busted me for copyright infringement. Just make sure your showtunes are in the public domain...dawg.

So disappointed you passed on that turd joke. You either missed it or are showing great restraint.

Peace...out.

20. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

I like what you did alot, I'm thinking about a RPI or something simialr to replace my old IBM/leovo s40 something as a HTPC.

Any experience with streaming stuff from windows shares with that thing Slippery?
    Last time I tried using windows filesharing and android was on my galaxy tab (2.2) with some third party filemanager and that thing was slower then a snail in molasesses!