1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project: AlumaxX (Dutch champion casemodding 2006! )

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Franklin, 28 Dec 2004.

1. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

More patience than you can shake a stick at!

2. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

True, forgot about XP-64... This is on my P4 box, so no dice there for me. I like having "real" IIS anyway, for development work.

3. Franklin

Franklin What's a Dremel?

@ Edvuld: I almost always work in the kitchen. I wished I had a workroom. The bending is done by hand with a heatgun.

[​IMG]

Keep moving the heatgun from left to right an heat up both sides. When the acrylic gets warmer it kind of bends by itself towards the side of the heatgun. The cornered thing just on the right of the acrylic is something I made of MDF and it is a bit curved. Use something that has a smooth surface to push against the acrylic to bent it.This piece has to be as wide as the surface you want to bent. When bent keep it down for a while till it has cooled down a bit, otherwise it will jump back a bit. Just try it a few times with smaller pieces to get the feel for it.

@ kimandsally: I have only been once in England, in New Castle to watch a football ( soccer for the americans) match from my favourite team PSV. Lost the game but I had a great time. How can you guys eat all that stuff in the morning b.t.w. ? An English breakfast :D I don't think I will come to England to show my case. But you never know, buy me a ticket and I will be there :naughty:

4. Edvuld

Edvuld Minimodder

Thanks for the detailed answer.
    High or low heat?
    This works for 5mm thickness to?
    Also, no problems with MDF dust going into the acryl?

5. Franklin

I used high heat for 5 mm and low heat for 3 mm acrylic. That answers also your question if it works for 5 mm acrylic. If the acrylic sticks to the MDF it means you overheated the part. Just remove any dust on the MDF before using it. You don't need to heat it it that much to make a bent. Just keep moving the heatgun, don't stay in one place with it. With some practise the bents will become better.

6. Edvuld

Edvuld Minimodder

Good, this'll be useful for my next mod :naughty:

7. Franklin

Still waiting for my LEDs :waah:
    Good news is that with a small modification to my original plans it is possible to watercool the mosfets with this cooler. The blue fittings will not be visible.

[​IMG]

8. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Why not go down to the local electronics store and pick some up? Just need a resistor, some hookup wire, LED, and solder it up. :D

9. Franklin

I've got all the wire I need and all the resistors, but those stores didn't have the LEDs I need, not in stock anyway. At that moment I could sell the LEDs at a site called inkoopacties.net. I ordered them and paid for them. But the LEDs still aren't here. I'm getting pissed of now. I paid about 40 euros for all the stuff.

10. Lord Kordir

Lord Kordir What's a Dremel?

Damn, this has resparked my modding passion again. My wallet will never forgive you ;)

11. Franklin

Still waiting for the LEDS, so I had some time to think about the window design. My intention is to keep it as simple and clean as possible. Because I want all the details inside to be visible I will have to make a big cut. What I came up with is something like this. This is a rough sketch.

[​IMG]

The upper section one big window and the lower section two smaller ones. Two windows below because the section between the windows will cover the two aluminium sheets that hide the cables from the harddisks and some LEDS. Again curved corners like in the rest of the mod. I'm still thinking about adding a laserectch in one of the windows.

12. Franklin

Still no LEDS :waah: I'm so damn close to the end of the mod and now I can't mod and finish the mod because of this.

I entered the worklog contest from ACRyan.

[​IMG]

To see how you can enter this contest just click on the link in my sig.

13. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

14. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Cheers for the contest link, I've submitted my worklog also :)

15. Franklin

Good luck Leeum, too bad you can only finish as number 2 after me :D Hehehe Not only the worklog can win but also the people that place comments. Nice prices.

I hope I can post an update very soon. Didn't expect this trouble at the end of my mod. Waiting so long for a couple of LEDS makes me :grr: :grr:

16. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Your project has progressed rather quickly, considering the amount of detail you have in the machine. It does **** waiting for parts though..I feel your pain..
    Best of Luck in the A.C.Ryan contest.. :thumb:

Last edited: 25 Sep 2005
  17. Franklin

I didn't have any big problems with this mod so far. The only problem is the limited time I have to work on the mod. Last couple of weeks I had much time, but no materials, that's what makes me so sad. The only good side of it is that I had time to think about my next mod.

Good luck to you to in the contest Modsquad and good luck to all the other contestants.

18. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Very clean work Franklin. I luv that "X" design.

19. somoghi

somoghi What's a Dremel?

May I ask where you got this mosfet cooler?? As I read earlier you got it from a German webshop, which one, I cannot find it :wallbash:

I would really like to have some more info.. Thanks for that already..

I really like your mod.. keep up the good stuff..

Btw I guess the color for your coolingwater will be green? or UV green, that will look awesome in the Dark..

Last edited: 27 Sep 2005
  20. Franklin

I don't even know if I mentioned the name of the webshop. I bought it at Heat Trap and that's indeed a German webshop. I know alphacool also sells this cooler.

The water in the loops will probably be UV green. I've got some fluid from Aqua Computer.