1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project: AlumaxX (Dutch champion casemodding 2006! )

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Franklin, 28 Dec 2004.

1. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Very original! I like this mod, especially the way you've watercooled and windows the PSU, I'll definatly be watching this.

2. Franklin

Franklin What's a Dremel?

Oke guys I need your help/opinion.

As you all know the second reservoir wasn't a succes and I will do that in another way. Today I was just experimenting with a piece of acryl that was left over from the PSU cover and this came out

[​IMG]

Not finished yet and I don't know if it will ever be finished. Because I had an other idea. The idea is to use one UV accryl panel for all the bays.

[​IMG]

The bay in the top can't be used because he radiator is just behind it and the diskdrive I will not use, so I will leave it out. That means that I have 6 bays to use. There will be two bays for the DVD drives, one bay for the Aquaero and the other 3 for the reservoir. I will re-use the bezels that I cut for the reservoir. I can't find new ones anywhere in Holland to replace the ones I used for the reservoir, but I think it will look fine with the old bezels too.

[​IMG]

It will come in without the frontplate. In front there will be the UV reactive acryl, only the small round window in the reservoir will come through the acryl glas. I will have to cut a small round hole out of the acryl plate for that. The bolts will come through the acryl panel. I will have to use bolts to for the 4 holes where the frontplate from the reservoir used to be attached also, but I don't think this will look bad.
    Your opinions please. Oh and I will have to decide now in what order the drives will be filled, because I will have to cut openings in it for the buttons and stuff.

Last edited: 3 Sep 2005
  3. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

Why don't u leave out the Lian-Li bezels and make 1 all covering piece out of the acrylic glass.

A piece that covers all free space and the aqaero?
    Maybe even with an etch like modsquad in it?

Would look beter that the space between bezels...

4. Franklin

I will put in a all covering piece of acrylic glas, but behind that there will be the bezels. Everything will be placed in the bays a few mm. back, so that the frontplate doesn't stick out. The holes between the bezels will not be visible when installed. b.t.w. I believe modsquad also used the origanal bezels behind the acrylic glass.

I was right behind the red acrylic glas and the etched window he used the original bezels.

Here you can see it

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=62286&page=15&pp=20

I could however use an aluminium plate behind the acrylic glass, just like I used for the HDD rack. I think I will do that. I can use the bezels to attach the aluminium plate, so you can't see them. In this way can also install the reservoir without those four bolts.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2005
  5. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

Exactly what I was trying to say. :D
    It would look nice though the reservoir in the middle with no destracting forms around it.
    One thing though. That Aquatube res, you need to remove the top glass/acryl layer to fill it? But when it's in a vertical position, you are going to have to unmount it all the time when you want to refill etc?

Or you're just going to attach a hose fill it trough the hose and voila?
    (I'm thinking of bying a AC Aquatube or equivalent.)

6. Franklin

To fill the system I will use a Danger Den fillcap, so that's no problem. I'm off to the docter now, I cut my hand this afternoon and it doesn't stop bleeding, so it will need some stitches. Modding is dangerous :hehe:

Back from the docter. Help me out here guys. I've cut the acrylic glass, but now I have to decide where to put everything.

[​IMG]

I think I will do it this way.

Lower two bays the DVD drives.Higher up and they will restrict the airflow. Then the reservoir and above that the Aquaero. The bay at the top can't be used because of the radiator.

7. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I just read your project log. A blood sacrifice for the project, wonderful! Excellent work!! Your machine is going to be great. Aqua-Computer and LL go well together. Just gave you a 5-Star vote. Keep it up..."Nothing like Chrome"...
    MS

Last edited: 31 Jan 2005
  8. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

I agree with that. It`s what i was thinking.

About the order... hard to decide but maybe (bottom to up) dvd drives, aquaero, rez and the empty bay for the rad. So you can cover all 4 upper plates with a complete alu piece. And left below the optical drives and controls. Then you can cover all with the acriglass. Thats way you get a more uniform front face.

9. Franklin

Thanks for your help Kumo :thumb:

and I want to thank Modsquad for his comment, it means a lot to me to hear this from one of THE modders here on Bit-tech.

Almost enough posts for an avatar. :clap:

10. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

For nothing. You`ve did that all good work.

11. -=tHaRgOr=-

-=tHaRgOr=- What's a Dremel?

PSU??

Hi Franklin

thx for really good CASE MOD. I like it and it looks cool *g*

I will read every post here the next time ;)

But can you tell me what kind of PSU do you use? I am looking for something like that for my case mod projekt...I will start this in a few weeks..so I need some special ideas for my watercoolig...

thx for help..cu TH.

12. Franklin

You can find it in this German webshop

http://www.heat-trap.com/v2/

And modsquad thanks for your help, it works great. I'm ashame I didn't think of that myself. :duh:

Last edited: 1 Feb 2005
  13. -=tHaRgOr=-

-=tHaRgOr=- What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 1 Feb 2005
  14. Franklin

Sorry no new pictures...................yet. I have made some paper models for the aluminium parts that will cover the motherboard, drivebays and the bottom section. I have almost finished the technical drawings so that the metalworker can bend the plates I need. To make everything fit in the case I will have to do a lot of dremeling and I look forward to sand and polish them :grr: What terrible job that is. I will have to do it all by hand. The harddisk rack already took about 6 hours to finish. I don't even want to think about the time it will take to do all these new parts.

But this is not the reason for my post. I want to ask the american modders here on Bit-tech something about the Plextor PX-716SA. It seems to be available only in the US. Are there problems with this device? I have sent an e-mail to Plextor but didn't get an answer yet. I will keep sending mails to Plextor till they sell me the damn PX-716SA :naughty:

A small preview of the acrylic front. It's only a paper model, I don't start cutting the plate before I have the aluminium sheet that goes behind it. (this aluminium sheet will replace the bezels)

[​IMG]

The blue dots are the spots where the bolts wil be placed. I will have to modify the DVD bezels a bit because the acrylic glass is three mm. thick and comes in front of these bezels.

15. Franklin

Today I ordered two XFX PCI-e GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB DDR3 2xDVI/TV and a ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherbord. The graphic cards are hard to get so I've mailed some webshops and one of them could deliver the cards because they had them in stock :clap:

Plextor didn't respond to my e-mails about the PLEXtor 716-SA yet. :waah: I asked them if it was possible to get these suckers in Europe. It seems they are only being sold in the US. I really want this Plextor, because it would be so much easier with cablemanagement.

When the videocards are in I will have to visit the Aqua-computer shop to order the watercoolers for them.

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

oh my god.... unfair.

well I have the mobo but I'm (financially) not looking forward to the dual 6800GT upgrade. And of course I'm going AC in a v2000. I wish I had your budget :waah: :eeek: :wallbash:

17. Franklin

I have changed the order for the videocards into XFX 6800 GT cards. My watercooled powersupply is not enough for the ultra cards. I don't want to change my beautiful watercooled PSU for another one so I decided to go with the 6800GT model.

Waiting for some stuff before I can mod on.
    Just now I'm waiting for the
    ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
    the two two 6800 GT videocards
    the two AquafraFX rev 2 waterblocks
    a Cuplex Evo for the AMD FX55 CPU
    a Twinplex waterblock for the Nforce chipset cooling
    two Plextor 716-A DVD rewriters

I need this stuff before I can finish the frontpanel and the plate that is going to cover the motherboard. The good news is all the parts were on stock so I expect them soon to be here.

18. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

Very nice so far does your psu have a 24 pin atx? and provide at least 20amps on the 12v rail? if not your going to have problems

19. Franklin

Yes 26amps and I've tested the PSU on a SLI system with the same motherboard and videocards, without any problems.

20. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

:D Tasty looking forward to this :clap: