1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project AquaLight - updated [23-2-2007] FINISHED!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ssR, 16 Aug 2006.

1. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Dude, you really know how to handle your tools. I'm subscribed, love the outcome of the cutting!

2. ssR

ssR Carbon God

thanks guys :D
    i see people subsribing to this i guess im doing something right :p

to all those looking forward to see it finished: there is still so much do be done... i dont think i completed even 20% of this project. wait till i get down to the small details :naughty:

more updates coming today, i came to the workshop early on the morning so im on fire :D

3. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Another update just as i promised. so 1st of all i finished the "aqualight" logo

the files used to accomplish the job
    [​IMG]

the finished logo
    [​IMG]

not everyone are perfect... dont worry ill fix it
    [​IMG]

then i moved to the frame

drilled out the rivets holding the HDD cage
    [​IMG]

ripped off all the original PCI slots covers
    [​IMG]

filed the front blowhole some more
    [​IMG]

i then behan working on new pci slots covers. custom made yeah baby :dremel:

i used an old cover i had at home as a pattern
    [​IMG]

after flattening it with a hammer
    [​IMG]

marking the outlines. i made the covers from 0.8mm aluminium
    [​IMG]

after cutting the pieces
    [​IMG]

used this (w/e u call it) to do all the rough sanding
    [​IMG]

1st piece is ready
    [​IMG]

all of the 4 covers are good to go. i have to make 2 more i simply ran out of material
    [​IMG]

close up... not bad..
    [​IMG]

i felt on fire so i went on with the custom parts making and made a custom PSU mounting plate. here im marking the outlines of the mount
    [​IMG]

after cutting and some filing
    [​IMG]

i drilled holes in the perimeter to make the cutting easier
    [​IMG]

at the end of the cutting
    [​IMG]

finished mount next to the old 1. i sanded it with 240 grid sandpaper. i might polish it later...not sure yet
    [​IMG]

thats it for today ill continue at sunday. hope u like it :D

Last edited: 1 Sep 2006
  4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I love the front/top you made!

5. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

wow they look really good :D
    Fantastic work :thumb:

6. ssR

ssR Carbon God

im really sorry the 1st 3 pics from today's update were wrong. its fixed now.

yahooadam: tnx :)

7. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

you're doing a great job man, very neat and precise, keep it up.

8. chase

chase What's a Dremel?

Nice metal work there man, thats some skills ;)

Keep going!

9. ssR

ssR Carbon God

thanks everyone! glad u like it :D

i wish i could continue working on the front bezel. the things that are holding me back are the bulgin illuminated switches i cant find anywhere and the LCD screen im waiting for which will be installed where the floppy drives used to be.

another reason is that i still dont have the acrylic cause the only shop that has the UV acrylic in stock is closing at 5pm and i finish working at 6pm.

next week ill start working on the other side panel. i still havent chosen the layout im gonna make ill have to think about it.

meanwhile i got the leds i ordered from lsdiodes

[​IMG]

those are the colors i will probably be using in this project

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im thinking about going with RAL 6063 on the outside and RAL 5026 on the case frame (interior). together with UV blue it should come out pretty neat

10. Dracula

Dracula What's a Dremel?

RAL 6063 for interior

RAL 5026 outside

11. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

nice! didnt know you could get colours as diverse as that. that should look sweet :)

12. Belial669

Belial669 What's a Dremel?

Nice PSU plate and pci covers. I need to make one of those psu plates myself as my transport damaged antec was sans one and i like your method.
    Thanks
    -Belial

13. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Dracula: yes i might use 6063 for the exterior im not certain yet. ill have to do some experimenting 1st

tkdwarrior: i can get just about every color u can think of :)

belial669: feel free to use my methors, makes me feel good that i can help someone on these forums :)

now for a small update. i made a pattern for the other side panel and i wanna see what u guys think about it before i cut it out

[​IMG]

i have another design in mind just in case u dont like it :p
    other than that i worked some more on the front bezel finished but i didnt take any pictures cause it was mostly about sanding it with a fine sandpaper so u cant really see any difference on the pics

14. Belial669

Belial669 What's a Dremel?

Interesting design, are you going to put an opaque plexi behind it, just wondering as the generally the back of a motherboard tray isn't that exciting.
    My only other comment is that it looks like you have LL written with the two lowest cutouts.
    Something that looks more like AL as in AquaLight would be appropriate.

15. ssR

ssR Carbon God

lol i havent noticed the "LL" thing. anyway the idea is not to create a shape that would remind of something but make something random. i kinda lack creativity and drawing skills so thats pretty much what i could come up with. i had some other patterns in mind but it was much harder to put them on the paper

as for ur 1st question yes it will be opaque plexi, probably dark blue or UV blue. its pretty hard to get blue UV plexi around here but a friend of mine gave me a piece of a beautiful dark blue plexi and i think i might use it on the entire case. ill try to get some more examples maybe more clear ones that can conduct the light better cause this 1 is pretty dark (tried it with some leds)

16. tkdwarrior

dont know what you have in mind, but in regards to cooling.....if you're going to have some passive airflow over cards etc you would be wise to put something like a fan grill on that panel. it would look less out of place with irregular shapes like that. other than that, just keep the theme going...you dont want it to look too "busy" - it looks fine.

17. ssR

ssR Carbon God

what do u mean dude? theres a 120mm fan that will be mounted directly over the gfx card (on the left panel, the one with the aqualight sign) and ill make a mesh grill for that 1

the design i showed here was meant for the right panel and i dont see any place where a fan grill would look appropriate on that 1. by saying "keep the theme going" u mean "go ahead and cut out that design" or "stay with what u got right now and keep it as it is"?

thanks

18. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

why don't you put that tribal-shark-thingy there? (the thing you showed us in post #26, at the end)

That is a very nice design, IMHO. Where is that one going to be cut in?

19. ssR

ssR Carbon God

dont think ill be using that one in the end. as nice as it looks it doesnt exactly fits in this case spirit and even though i can make this cut out it will just look way out of lin

20. tkdwarrior

by keep the theme going i meant what you have already - geometrical shapes with nice rounded corners.

never mind the cooling comment, i didnt know what side the panel was going.