1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Arc, iSeries LAN system

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by OcSurfe, 26 Jul 2013.

1. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

Hey guys, back again with another project!
    This time its to make myself a LAN rig with will act as an interim until i can get the parts together for my grand plan with coolsair!
    at this stage of posting it is all working and running well on air, have yet to put it on water and i am about 3 weeks behind in starting this log but then i will have a 2nd log up and running shortly as i have done 2 projects simultaneously.

First off, i would like to hand a MASSIVE MASSIVE thank you out to all of the people and companies who have been kind enough to sponsor this build and help to make it happen, without yourselves, this would not have been possible.

A big thanks to Emil at Kingston for not only sorting me out with some brilliant HyperX Beast ram and a V300 SSD but a lot of lovely goodies to give away to you lovely people at iSeries in August. Brilliant bloke and an awesome company to work with!

[​IMG]

A huge thanks to Phillip at Sapphire for hooking me up with 2x 2gb 7850 OC's, they may not be the fastest but they get the job done, been able to play tomb raider, grid 2, Metro: last light with good settings at very good frames, will be looking to get a little extra out of these when i get the blocks on!

[​IMG]

Big thanks to Lars at Enermax for once again sorting out a PSU and Fans for the build. They have generously donated a 650w Revolution 87+ PSU and 12 T.B.Silence fans which are going to have their Halo frames carbon wrapped and the fan blades painted to match the color of the build, probably a UV blue color.

[​IMG]

Next up is Rafal at Western Digital who has been a star in sorting out a 750gb Caviar Black drive for this build and a 500gb Caviar Green for another, top guys at WD and cannot thank them enough for their contribution.

[​IMG]

Now onto Heili at Fractal Design. Fractal have been very generous in supplying a Fractal Arc Mini for this project which posed enough potential for me to be able to do some simple but nice mods to it. They have also given me a 750w Integra R2 to use, it will not be going into this build due to it lacking too many Molex for my liking but i do have something planned for it, thanks again guys!

[​IMG]

And now on to a good mate, Pascal at Alphacool, has sorted out a good amount of products for the two builds, cannot thank Alphacool and Pascal enough, they are my favorite watercooling manufacturer by a long way and it is an honor to finally be able to work with them, thanks a lot guys!

[​IMG]

The plan for this build is to get a good powerful system into a small form factor with a lot of watercooling capability. This will involve modding the roof of the Chassis to allow for a 360mm radiator to be installed and removing the front drive cages along with the 5.25 inch bays to allow for the end tanks of the 360 rad but also to mount a 240 monsta which will give this small rig a lot of cooling potential.

Well that is it for today, i will leave you with a few of the photos i took of all the sponsored parts, will begin to post up the build log tomorrow afternoon, thanks for looking and stay tuned!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Aug 2013
  2. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

Hello people its update time,
    i have managed to start on some of the mods for this build,
    they are not the finished articles, just a test fit, in regards to the roof mod, am thinking about chopping all the mesh out but i think this will probably lead to making the case too weak, more so after removing the drive bays.
    I have also taken some of the support bars out of the front and i am going to put a custom fan grill into the front of the case so that a custom grill can be mounted to hold the monsta radiator in place.

Below are some pictures of the mods, as i said they have just been done, still need to be tidied up and sprayed black to 'hide' them, still not 100% sure about chopping the roof mesh out what do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also got some more goodies today a Kingston V300+ 60gb SSD and 2 Kingston HyperX 3k SSD 120gb and a 750gb WD Black, plenty of storage for this bad boy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats it for now guys, sorry for it not being a lot trying to juggle this and another project, work and writing reviews, no down time at the moment, hopefull have another update soon!

3. LegendaryScott

LegendaryScott Trying to live up to the name

Nice kit you got there. looking forward to see your progress

4. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

Hello guys,

Sorry for taking so long to update, work has been a bitch lately, just been doing little bits here and there.
    Unfortunately, this means that i am going to have a lot to do before iSeries, at least i have Mr. Pexon on hand to help out.
    I have managed to cut the original Tabs off the plastic front of the case which used to hold the 2x 120mm fans in the front. this allowed me to bolt a Phobya fan grill into the front of the case so i could mount my 240mm Monsta rad and add some support and strength to the case.
    This then allowed me to put the front panel to the case back on so that i could keep the case looking as un-modified as possible from the outside.

Before Tab Removal!
    [​IMG]

After!
    [​IMG]

Grill Fans and radiator bolted in, bare in mind. These are not the fans being used in the final build, they will be the enermax ones, but they are going to have the fan blades painted and frames wrapped in carbon, these were just for test fit purposes.

[​IMG]

And front bezel back on, quite like the stock look of the case.
    [​IMG]

I then got to switching the radiator around so that the barbs were towards the rear intake of the case. initially i had wanted to try and connect the two radiators together but this was going to be far too tight and a high chance of the tubing kinking.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the last order of the day was to get a waterblock on one of the GPU's as i managed to get one cheap from a friend.

Here are the GPU blocks i have chosen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BEWARE NAKED COOLERS NERD PR0N WARNING.

[​IMG]

And with the block mounted

[​IMG]

And finally a little sneak peak of the CPU block,

[​IMG]

Thats it for now people i have a lot on orders waiting to come in and with the work myself and pexon are going to be doing on the days before iseries there should be a torrent of updates incomming soon.

5. XcOM

XcOM What's a Dremel?

That's a nice list of sponsors and parts there, SOOOOO envious

6. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Wow you got yourself a full build sorted. No wait, two builds!

Looks like you're going to put in a lot of watercooling gear in your setup. Awesomesauce.

7. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

A little snippet of what came from specialtech today, can really start cracking on which this now and get it finished for iSeries!
    unfortunately ive had wisdom teeth removed today so you guys probably wont see any updates will tuesday.

[​IMG]

And a little sneak peak of the sleeving for the PSU.

[​IMG]

8. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

Right guys its update time, the rig is finished and is now at i49.
    Even attracted some attention from TTL but mainly cause his eagle eyes spotted the OC3D banners on my screen whilst updating the build log, he came and gave some advice and criticism which of course was welcomed and here are some images for you.
    The build is called by EK blocks and Alphacool radiators.
    The fans have had the blade custom painted a dark sky blue color, which we when decided to spray the case of my Filco Keyboard too, got to say that it looks sick. Extensions and Filco cable once again done by Pexon PCs.
    I really do like the way that the blue paint near perfectly matches the colors of the cable sleeving and the mayhems coolant. anyway here are a few snippets of the build, if you want to see the full 50 image gallery then the imgur link below will take you there, im not gunna post them all in the log as to save your internet.

http://imgur.com/a/myw0j#0

Currently at iSeries guys, as you can see from the rig being used by the sexy aquatuning bird, so i will update in more detail in the week, keep the responses and criticism coming, this is far from finished as it was all completed on the thursday iseries opened.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Aug 2013
  9. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Very nice result :)