1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project ATI X800 SSR Pickup: Update (Have completed assembly and testing)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Robster, 13 May 2004.

1. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Well here we go again i know it's anouther vehicle but hey i am hotrodder from a ways back and just can't resist these things but here it is.

I am going to start with a 1/6th scale SSR Pickup just like the Hummer was
    [​IMG]

This is what it will start life as the idea is to mount a Shuttle Motherboard in this with a new ATI vid card or a New Nvidia not sure which yet but should have that ironed out soon.
    The specs on this comp will be a full gaming system with a Intel P4 3.0 gig Extreme Edition. 1 gig of DDR dual channel Ram a 120 gig SATA hard drive and a Built in cdrom as well.

This like the Hummer will also be Water Cooled.

The only real bad part about this build is that i will lose the rc part of the truck it looks like but we will see what we can do about that hard to say untill a little further into this.

The plan was to save the RC part but got thinking and may just make a trailer so the Hummer can tow this into a lan.

This project as well as couple other smaller ones are going to be going to a lan here in Edmonton in July so not much time to finish these up but should be interesting

Last edited: 10 Jul 2004
  2. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

First part of build

Ok well here is some pics with explinations to get this going

[​IMG]

Ok on the back this deck lid lifts up so what i thought was to mount the vid card so that the fan will face up and i will be able to cut the decklid out so that you can see the fan.

i hope to do this by using a AGP riser card like you would use in a server type configeration.
    [​IMG]

I will be mounting the cdrom under the motherboard so that access will be out the back

I also will be making this a drop top as i think these just look better with the tops down.

3. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Drop Top

Well here is the first part of this make it a drop top.

[​IMG]

Lets get this thing apart so we can see what we have

It's so much fun to take apart now lets hope we remember what we did with all those little screws.

[​IMG]

Well here is the shell of the truck all ready.

[​IMG]

Well first lets see what we can do about these doors this was so easy it's almost like they planned it to be a drop top.

[​IMG]

Ok well enough fun time for the :dremel:

[​IMG]

This looks way better with no top.

[​IMG]

This should give it a bit meaner look as well as more questions on where did you put everything :naughty:

Oh yah here is the poor Shuttle that had to give up it's insides so that this mod would be possable must give it some recognition as this was a major part.

[​IMG]

Well that is it for now but more will come

4. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Hey, its a fellow hummer buddy. I thought of doing an avalanche. Gotta love newbright. PLZ use a full size mobo. did you rebuild the chasis out of steel like i had too?

5. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Also, whered you get the AGP riser? I tried to get one from a sponcor, bt eventually shaed the PCB to make it fit vertical in mine. AIM me at TWilsonTX, or MSN at TWilsonTX(at)msn(dot)com

I got ideas! awesome we have thought of the same ones!

Also, the avalanche came with a remote control boar on a trailer!

My 100th post! Yeehaw!

PS... I took my PSU out of the case to make room... Ill get pics up of my chasis and bumber loading CD Drive. The shell melted, I had just the PSU in and LCD in the back, and I strareted an electrical paint fire. My mod is dead :jawdrop: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah:

6. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

The Shuttle motherboard is as close as i am going to get to a full size motherboard it will give me all the performance i need with the size that i need.

i am not going to build a steel chassie as it doesn't really need it the floor is flat and everthing will fit

7. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Cool, cool. the wait killed mine, having full mobo, heatsinks, LCD screens, antec TruePower CPU (way a helluva lot more) etc. No imm jus gonna make a HTPC, maybe ill find a 1/2 scal engine block...

8. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

do you have any pics of this as i have done a couple of these and i can't see a full mobo and full powersupply in one would like to see that

9. exavier412

exavier412 What's a Dremel?

looks like its gonna be cool... but i have one question... (totally uneducated in this aspect) but those new vid cards i expect give out alot of heat, and when you have it mounted that close and parrallel to the motherboard, wouldnt it really heat things up and not get much airflow?

10. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

The fan will be facing up so no airflow problems the pic for the riser card is a stock one i got off the net you can get them to go eiter way so the card would be over the pci slots or over the cpu and as the CPU will be water cooled this should not be a problem the idea is to show off the cool graphics on the vid card fan.

11. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

YEAH!!! :rock:

I remember the Hummer, that's enough reason for me to subscribe to this one as well!! Love the idea bro!

12. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Power Supply

Well this was easy enough got the powersupply mounted now the fun part have to run all the wires back to the motherboard.

[​IMG]

Her is anouther shot of it up under the dash.

[​IMG]

This fit pretty nice i will be hopefully gettting a better cam tommorow as these pics suck but guess they are better then nothing.

13. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Alright i got an indash stereo

ok may be it's not a stereo persay but it is a indash CD Player

This worked out really well I can't take all the credit for it though Kev a buddy of mine came in looked at it a said why not put it in the dash hadn't thought of it till he said something and hey it worked out pretty well.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the back

[​IMG]

Here is a shot test fitting it in the truck seems to be ok

[​IMG]

Lets see if the door opens enough.

[​IMG]

Only problem was the Steering wheel got in the way so had to mod the door for the cd rom a little will clean this up a little later so it doesn't look so bad

[​IMG]

Well that is it for now may get some more done tonight not to sure and hopefully will get a bettter camera tommorow so i can update with better pics

14. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Awesome as allways Robster :thumb: I should stop by on my next day off to take a peak...... Question though, where are you going to mount everything? I get the psu, dvd-rom, mobo, and graphics card, but how are you gonna do the res, rad, pump, and other such things?

15. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Hey can't give all my secrets away to quick
    :hip:

16. Cecil-San

Cecil-San What's a Dremel?

Looking good! Altho w/ the CDrom in the dash area (which is a great idea btw) I'm finding it rather hard to see you putting a CD in easily when its all together??

Your beginning to become the king of the R/C mods here Rob...I'm sure when you look at a norm. case now..you see LOADS of room...unlike your current builds..hehe...

keep it up..

17. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Well that is the other bonus to making it a droptop can get to the cdrom easy now.

And yah other cases are so easy now still have fun doing the cableing though

18. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

yeah, the mobo fit with like 1mm to spare. the reason why it fit was because of my chasis. I will take a pic of it this after noon, but basicaly I turned the psu upside down, then had s cd drive in the front, and the back was raised enough so it was level, so it was a spread out platform. I modded the doors to open up, along with the back door, so i could get to the blugs easier and still have the LCD in the back.

19. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

HEY, ROBSTER, i havent been around bit-tech for a few months now been busy with school and all but i come back to find zapwizard making a new pc and you making another model car pc, i love your idea of making a trailer for the hummer it would look so sexy towing alon another car. Looks like its going to be pretty good some cuts look a bit messy but im sure youll fix them up, maybe next time you could do a boat? or a plane? or are you simply a REV HEAD, im thinking of re building my computer (briecase) into a car not sure wat yet funds are tight actually non-existant however im still going to plan it, you might be able to tell me is it posilbe to buy just the shell and chassis o a model car?

keep it up im loving it

20. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

It's no problem to buy just the shell and chassis of a model car. They're sold in separate parts mostly, so that wouldn't be a problem.