1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding project -> back to life retro style (update)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by evilstriker, 3 Jul 2004.

1. evilstriker

evilstriker What's a Dremel?

Hey here is my new project. I found this old radio shack color TV(broken but then outer shell is in excellent condition) a while back and decided to mod it into some type a gaming / home entertainement box. Then I found the samsung 15" LCD with a 20ms response time on ebay for 290$ (condition new) and i thought i would top it off with 2 5" RCA LCD to display random info or movies.
    here it is the pic of the TV, LCD and 5" LCD that i will be working with
    [​IMG]

I plan on putting my AMD XP 1.6@2.3Mhz, my geforceFX 5900 that i will split with my 15" LCD and 17"CRT(for gaming so let say i go to lan party i could still plug my 17" in then back and run on it ) Also will include a TV-tuner so that it can play TV. Also going to add a cd-burner(or if i find a good price dvd-burner) and dvd-player and possibly a 3 1/4 disk drive. And of course so fans and lights and gadgets.

If anyone has any cool things they would like to see please let me know ill check to see if i can do it hehe

Last edited: 12 Jul 2004
  2. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Broken picture, and it's not a log. Moving.

3. livelife46290

livelife46290 What's a Dremel?

4. evilstriker

Last edited: 6 Jul 2004
  5. Jam

Jam What's a Dremel?

The image is viewable when you click on the place-holder.

Did I read the original post correctly, you plan on using the tv as a PC case?

6. evilstriker

yup. gonna remove the original tv and keep the case (old colorvision type case) and put the 15" LCD inside it as with 1mobo, 1 dvd-rom, 1 cd-burner or dvd-burner, 1 3 1/4 disk drive, 1 PSU and some other stuff like fan controler dans temp monitors etc
    if it doesnt work the its no-ip.com fault so try it with
    http://evilstrike.gotdns.com:8080/images/current/current1.jpg

7. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Well ok maybe it's the start of a log, but the pics still won't load in the thread unless the links are opened directly.

Try www.photobucket.com

8. evilstriker

yeah i know its because of no-ip.com but juste click on the link it will do the same thing
    i will modify them to work with my ip

9. evilstriker

since its kinda late i cant start using my lound equipment so i went ahead an remove the tube from the casing and placed it in a box. Now since this is dangerous I did some thinking as to how i would remove it with out electrocuting me or droping it and making the tube implode!!! So i came up with the enginious idea to unscrew everyting then place the a little bucket underneath so that i could slide the case down and give me anought room to pick the tube from the front instead of from the back! and then i moved it in a temp box for disponal in the near futur hehe

[​IMG]
    you can folow my full log at

http://evilstrike.gotdns.com:8080/current.php

10. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

290 for a 15 incher is a ripoff.......how much were those 5" im afraid to ask :duh: ..
    srry that wasnt a flam or anythign just positive critisim, if u will
    cant u just discharge the tubes with a ruber handled screwdriver or somthing similar.better image hosting is a must and more of them..ppl dont wanna be bothered going to yoursitehere.com

11. evilstriker

I play pretty much any game even farcry with no lag. So i consider my box a gaming machine :) Althought its only hardware and so if I upgrade i can easily do it no problem

If you see it as a ripoff cuz can you can find a 17" LCD for the same price, i agree althought for this mod I needed a 15" LCD with a good response time and a very slim. Check out the speck of the Samsung SyncMaster 152T and come back and tell me it was a ripoff (this LCD retail is worth 400-500$. Althought yeah i know i might of found a 17" one for the same price but it wouldnt work with what i want to do. Also this lcd is one slick one as it doesnt ghost nor lag and has no dead pixel. So i find it a pretty sweet deal hehe

those were expensif as I bought them before I was aware of the PSOne LCD for 90$. I got those 2 5" for roughtly 130$

12. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

well hoe do u controll them? and psone lcds can be had for as low a $20 :hehe: :hehe: return them and buy better hw

13. evilstriker

yeah i know lol for the PSOne i regret not knowing that before LOL
    but i bought the 5" off of ebay. I did think to try to resell them but anyways i already have em so ill decide later. Anyways the only difference will be the price but it wont change the final effect.

I control then with RCA output. One will mostlikly be pluged into my geforce and the other will be pluged into a tv-tuner

14. evilstriker

here is a small update i did today

A little bit of cutting and sanding had to be done in order to remove all the
    unessesary parts. this is one of the more time consuming job as there is a hell of alot of unwanted parts!!

[​IMG]

Got plastic?!?!
    [​IMG]

Now for the real test. Does the 15" LCD fit inside this TV? IF it doesnt fit then this project is destined to fail. If it does fit im in for the big leagues...
    drum roll........
    [​IMG]
    it fits! well sorda! the LCD exede from about 0.5centimeter over the knob on the left side. But I might be able to grind my way into a perfect fit without messing up the knob!

I found an intersting place which i didnt know when I found the TV is that at the bottom there a place for 4 knobs used to change the contrast, brightness etc. And there are just about the right size as the knobs used on fan controlers! so ill mount a fan controler right there and make it look stock!

(sorry for the pic i was having trouble with no-ip.com and my router but its fixed now)

15. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

what about....

ok, youve probably allready thought of this, but if its a tv, why not have an ir port on the front, so you can use a remote control with it?

i havent used IR before, but i understand its possible, and there are a proggies available to do it, but tbh, thats about the extent of my knowledge with ir.

a 30 second google led me here meblins mods and he seems to have done it.

16. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Still got red x's === please fix... please !

17. evilstriker

yeah i did think of that. I wanted to control my fans from the remote but after i saw the place for the knobs i will put the fan there i have to fige something else as to what to do with a remote

btw im planning to add a tv-tuner and those usually come with a remote althought it will only controle the TV-tuner i will still have a remote to change the channels hehe

Done, I was doing some change with my ISP so my modem had to go offline for a while and my ip changed. But its all good now! I hope hehe

Last edited: 5 Jul 2004
  18. evilstriker

Small update here. Last time I posted i had pic trouble so my post practically when unnoticed. Hopefully this time it will work and i will get some feedback hehe

Alright as After last week-end I choped and sanded all the unnessesary parts, this time I went ahead in cutting the whole for the PSU and the cd-roms Here are some pics of the development

Here is a pic of the wholes that I had to cut to fit the power supply and the cd roms
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the PSU. Notice on the pic it seams like it doesnt fit but that is because it wasnt scewed in so it moved but when place correctly it fits perfectly.
    [​IMG]

And Finally here is a pic of the Cd-rom that perfectly fit on the whole. There is only one problem about this setup is because the cd-rom are in the back. Which means that when im going to open them i need to turn and move it away from the wall!. Unfortuanlly there was nowhere else to put them. I could of put 1 where the i have put the PSU but I wanted 2 so if I were to put the 2 of them on the bottom then i would not have enought room to place the motherboard!. Its a small problem but it isnt such a big deal!

[​IMG]

For more pics and details check out my site in my sig, and head to the "current project" section

Last edited: 12 Jul 2004
  19. evilstriker

i think i wasnt getting reply cuz my pics wernt working. But I think i worked it out and they should all be working now. Please let me know if the pics dont show up because the server is hoster by me and I cant test my ip in local. I can only check it with my network IP so I dont always know if my site works outside my network!

thx

20. evilstriker

672 views and not a single reply ??? :(
    anything you guys would like to see happing with this mod? even though i have it in its early stages i still think its gonna look pretty awsome!

ive seen less original mods get tons of feedback!! :(

Last edited: 13 Jul 2004