1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project "Beanie's Vapo-Li" Window Pics - 26 September 04

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MrBean, 5 Jul 2004.

1. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hello Everyone,
    Ok, I am quite a newbie in terms of no. of posts, but quite an old hand at overclocking etc. I have seen quite a few excellent mods on this site, and decided to start my own adventure: Project Vapo-Li.

a Few notes - I am trying to keep a fresh, clean look...not to much lighting, LED fans etc. I stay in South Africa, so a main consideration would be not to butcher my very scarce Lian-Li PC60 case, as I can find literally 100's of different cases here, except the Lian-Li's. So, if you give feedback, and suggestions, keep that in mind.... :rolleyes:

a 2nd consideration would be very neat cabling (boring I know), very essential to a good mod...this can make or break you.

I will not use any stand-alone fan controllers, I have a Vantec Nexus controller, but, rather I opt for doing fan-speed control via Windoze and my VapoLS ChillControl via the USB port.

Also, I won't bore you guys with how to cut this or that hole, how to use a dremel, that is boring, and most of us know how to do this.

Enough of the talking, lets see what's up....this is the type of detailing I'll stick to when doing my wiring

[​IMG]

In the next shot you can see the mobo-side of the system, with mostly all the wiring done...outstanding is the power/reset/hd LED wires, and the cd-rom power and IDE. I have used an old Abit Max3 rounded IDE cable boot to tidy up my ATX mobo power connector, and sleeving what we refer to as Megamyte sleeving on all the cables. Excuse the fugly gfx cable, I am about done with that....re-sleeve, reroute etc...

[​IMG]
    Note the square hole immediately in front of the PSU...that routes the cables to behind the mobo tray, pictures of which will follow shortly.... :D

Last edited: 26 Sep 2004
  2. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Are the pics' size ok for you guys?

Last edited: 5 Jul 2004
  3. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Well not really. I have DSL and they took forever to load. 640x480 is a great size for the pics and it will help our 56k friends out too. Nice work so far :thumb:

4. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Ok, I will resize them to something like 800X600, and load them to my host. Will take aa while though, but I have quite a few pics to post, and don't wanna hog you guys down.

Thanx for replying.

5. Dean_j2001

Dean_j2001 What's a Dremel?

red X's for me here m8

6. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hello Guys,
    Ok, I am resizing all my pics to 640X480 to suit 56k guys, it will take a while. Best to do it now, as I have a lot of photos, and don't want to bog you guys down when downloading them...

Be back soon!!

7. ErictheHank

ErictheHank What's a Dremel?

Bit-tech staffer Koolvin already used the name Vapo-Li for his PC-60/Lian Li Hybrid that he did about two years ago. I mention this only because you might want to avoid duplication and confusion. Still a great idea for a project.

Edit: Looks like it was a PC-7x that Koolvin used, not a PC-6x

8. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hmmm...I remember that case, was a PC70 with some louvres fitted to the top few bays to allow cool air entry for his standalone VapoSE/PE he fitted to the top of that case...quite a neat mod it was...

Other than the name, mine won't have much in common with his, thanx for the advice though! Would like to keep the name, as it is the same on my local Forum as well.

Don't think it will do any harm anyway :)

9. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

red x's

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

no pics here, try to sort them out soon or the thread may get closed

also, when resizing make the pic sizes less than 600 width, there is no need at all for any more

11. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

nada here... sorry

12. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Obviously some guys can see the pics, it is hosted by photobucket.com...but, if you want to delete the post and prevent the guys from seeing a really neatwiring job no prob.....I'll understand. :sigh:

Have you guys any idea who else can host my pics?

Advice would be appreciated.

13. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

I can se the pics!
    The wiring looks über sweet!
    But can you please rezise them? they are like 1200x900 now, 640x480 would be nice, ot you could thumbnail them :thumb:
    keep it up :dremel:

edit: photobucket has some network trouble now....

14. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hi Balder,
    Yip, I am busy resizing pics, but, as you saw, with my luck, photobucket has some problems...I saw they were adding some new servers to speed things up, I have just managed to login and add resized pics.

Ok, here is the std Lian-Li casefan, as mentioned earlier, I will try and avoid LED fans etc.....for a fresh look. See where I am routing the cable through the top of the case, it exit at the same point on the opposite side....

[​IMG]

Where it gets connected to the VapoLS ChillControl unit.....which is mounted on the 3.5" internal drive bay

[​IMG]

15. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Look forward to it :dremel:

Vapo-Li was Koolvin's rather excellent internal vapochill mod... it would be better to have a different name, but there are only so many names in the World, eh.

16. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Yip, that was what I meant when I said he fitted the VapoSE/PE on top...that is ontop of the mobo tray, right next to the PSU, taking up 4 or something drive bays, if I remembered correctly...he still made his own mounting tray, and turning the Vapo to face the wrong way (as it was back then, but Asetek has since mounted the condensor on the front as well)

I'll try to do honour to the name Vapo-Li then.... :)

Okie dokie, some updates: I have tried not to have the VapoLS cabling mess up my theme, so decided to route them inside the compressor housing, and having them enter the Lian-Li at the front left of the case through 2 mirrored holes, 1 in the VapoLS case, the other in the Lain-Li.....

[​IMG]

This makes for a very clean and tidy appearance.

[​IMG]

17. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Usually the back-side of a mobo tray looks like a pos, with a messy appearance due to all the wiring being hidden there....This is what mine looks like, and I have used 2 Maxtor 7200rpm 40 gig drives....I don't need bigger capacity, as this is mainly my benching rig.....

[​IMG]

Most drives should have 4 mounting holes on the electronic side of the housing, I measured center-center pitch of the holes, and marked them on my mobo tray....drilled the holes and fastened them from the mobo side. The aluminium backplane will take care of the heat....

[​IMG]

18. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Here is the square hole I made in front of the PSU to route the cables to the back of the mobo tray....

[​IMG]

And of course there is always my Inspector, who needs to approve every step before the next.....lol....

[​IMG]

19. Dean_j2001

Dean_j2001 What's a Dremel?

dear me,

im loving this, very nice work! its so neat and tidy

subscribed ill be keeping my eye on this one

20. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

good job. Very clean cable mannagement you've got there! :thumb: