1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project "Beanie's Vapo-Li" Window Pics - 26 September 04

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MrBean, 5 Jul 2004.

1. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

a While back I bought this nifty tool from Biltema hardware store in Tampere, Finland.....

[​IMG]

It uses little threaded inserts (different sizes available), which have a collapsable shoulder, like shown here....

[​IMG]

And you can sandwich a thin metal plate between these two shoulders, to give you some nice threads.....

Last edited: 7 Jul 2004
  2. Applepie

Applepie What's a Dremel?

do you lengthen the cables from the PSU?

3. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

So you end up with something like this....

[​IMG]

Of course I had to drill the fanholes a little larger, 6.5mm, or approx 1/4" Here I am done with the bottom 2, still to do the top...

[​IMG]

after this bit of work the fan can now slide over the inserts, and I can fasten it without stripping the "non-exsistent" threads in a thin panel...like so... :thumb:

[​IMG]

This tool is quite handy, and maybe a few good modders out there can find a good use for it, it is an excellent alternate to pop-rivets, especially if you want to put together a well defined box, where you spend a lot of effort on even the minutest detail.

Like what am doing in my other mod-box project, a H800 Aopen server box.....but leave that for the next Project Log after this is complete... :naughty:

Last edited: 7 Jul 2004
  4. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hi Applepie,
    Yip, routing the cables at the back of the mobo-tray will sometimes require you to lenghten the cables......not by much in my case though, but the one feeding the GFX, CD-Rom and Chillcontrol had to be lenghtened to route them properly....

5. nicke

nicke What's a Dremel?

Biltema rulZ!
    nice work and the cat is also pretty :D

6. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hi Nicke,
    Kiitos Paljon.

Anyway, every time I go to Finland, I usually end up in Biltema and wonder up and down the isles...quite a big variety of goodies......very nice for modders...hehe....

Anyway, I am of to bed, early night tonight (22h30), as I have some important work-meetings tomorrow.

Still searching for a place that can do decent anodizing....

Some help needed...do you guys think I should leave the inside natural aluminium, or have it powdercoated? Maybe black or midnight blue?

Feedback would be appreciated. Thanx. :D

7. NixioN

NixioN What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Cute cat! Very nice work! Now I have some idees for my Lian Li PC65USB!

8. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hello Nixion,
    Thanx, problem is you are quite limited what you can do to a PC60/5 if you don't want to butcher the case......

But, I'll try and do something special. Let's see..... :)

9. Goblin Tinkerer

Goblin Tinkerer What's a Dremel?

Keeping a close eye on this one. Looks awsome so far. I am really wanting to do a top of the line overclocked monster for my step father. He loves having the newest and best. He works hard and deserves the millions of pennies he earns. So Maybe for christmas i can get my ma to let me build it for him. He is scared of water in his pc but vapor is better and safe yes?

10. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Thanx for the feedback :)

Anyway, water is definately the easier option, and in a certain sense, also safer.....why do I say this....well, with phase-change systems, you really have to keep an eye on condensation in the socket/on the cpu pins, it negates this issue completely if you use liberal amounts of non-conductive grease in the socket.

In a certain sense, water also looks more hardcore, with all the liquid-filled tubing running everywhere.....so, tough decision......

I would always prefer phase-change over water, because of the better cooling-capacity......just take notice of the caveats.

11. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Ok, back again with a small update:

I have managed to complete the power/reset/hd-led wiring tonight, and started my system to make sure everything was running as it should.

Here is a shot of the mobo running....

[​IMG]

And here is a close-up of the same, showing all cables except CD-Rom IDE connected....otherwise all cabling is in place now.

[​IMG]

Here is a frontal of the system, with the VapoLS LCD showing -48 Deg Celsius.....

[​IMG]

And finally, here is a screen-shot of Motherboard monitor, showing CPU temp, IDE temps etc....

[​IMG]

Will start routing watercooling tubing, etc this weekend.

Feedback will be appreciated. What can I change, improve on the wiring etc.... :)

12. ModKid

ModKid What's a Dremel?

only -13? I get -8 with my vapochill classic r404a @ 2.8, and around 0 with my 2.8 @ 4ghz.

13. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

maybe you didn't see his MHz? 4007!! That's 4,007 Ghz!

Good job mate! looks great too!

14. ModKid

ModKid What's a Dremel?

so ? my 2.8 runs at 4.03 as well :S

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Heh in the american system that makes it seem like one freakin supercomputer... 4THz. I still dont' see why we haven't converted to metric... 10s are easier than 12, 3, 1/16, 5280, etc.

16. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

oh... so he doesn't have a crazy king conputer? well... it's still cool!! :hip: and the temp is monitored by the on board tempmonitor, isn't it? the one underneath the cpu? well... maaaaany of the temp monitors are a bit messed up, and I don't think they are ment to show degrees beneath -10...

17. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hi Guys,
    The 4 gig clock is actually a little low, agreed, but that is my 24/7 speeds, and vcore is around 1.6V. I can actually run SuperPI at 4.44gig, which gives me 32seconds, not bad for a Northwood.....lol....

My stable benching speeds for 3dMark01, 3dMark03 and Aquamark is 4.36 gig, at 1.75Vcore, then my temps are just below 0 deg Celsius, around -1 or so.

You also have to take into consideration my ambient, which is sitting at +20 Deg C now, so keeping the system at full-load and at around 0 deg C, at 4.3+ gig, is quite good.

Remember, at the same speeds with my VapoPE, I can only manage +18 Deg C at full-load. So, the LS is better of by around 18 Degrees, and then the 12 odd Degrees the VapoLS is better than the R404XE sounds more or less ok.

Remember though, that the LS is optimized for 240W heat loads, and in Bowmans tests even kicked the butt of the Prommie GT.....so, with newer processors, the LS really excels.

I will still be running my LS, when Modkit will have to upgrade his XE. Of course there is other benefits, like extremely quiet operation, which the XE has........

If you guys want screen-shots of the system at around 4.4gig, I will gladly post it :)

The point I am making with this mod is, that you can have a powerfull PC that looks good to, it don't have to be just a mobo and a few card lying on a table..... :D I am really not trying to be a G-gnome, or Zapwizard, etc, just tired of seeing all this extremely powerfull setups which you can barely cal a PC.....

Consider that this is one of only 3 Northwood/9800XT combos that made it into 26K territory on the ORB, it is quite a powerfull setup. And the 26k is not a fluke, my best is 26515, and I average around 26400 to 26480...have around 20 scores at that level..... :thumb: That is with a VapoPE on the GFX, running it at 560gpu/438mem speeds. With std water on the gfx I can still crack 25k, which is quite impressive in itself.

Last edited: 9 Jul 2004
  18. SLIV3R

SLIV3R What's a Dremel?

your mod looks better and better every time I see it MrBean I cant wait to see it with the watercooling installed on the graphics :D :clap:

19. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hi Sliver,
    Thanx for the kind words.

I will be test-fitting the watercooling over the weekend, just need to pick up a MaxiJet 1000lph pump from ServiStar...maybe I'll even get a 750lph, as it is around R100- cheaper......

Will have some more pics by tomorrow eve, or Sunday morning.

20. Carbon

Carbon Banned

Gota love the mods you've done on those red x's :(