1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project "Beanie's Vapo-Li" Window Pics - 26 September 04

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MrBean, 5 Jul 2004.

1. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

hmm, you do have a point... i dont' see temps rise beyond that point. However i do have a question of sorts... is there a possiblity of fitting a block so that it does all the insulation work that pelt needs, so that the board will require minimal modifications?

2. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Sort of on topic

I had a quick question/idea, but I didn't want to hijack your thread with a long discussion about it. It was about using a cooler like this to chill the coolant in a liquid cooling setup. Would that be possible?

MrBean - This question seems just barely on topic, but I didn't think that it would be a good idea for people to talk about it for pages in your thread.

If anyone has any comments on this idea, here's the thread in modding:

Idea about sub-zero coolant

3. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hi Guys, thanx for the feedback. I don't mind discussing supercooling etc in this thread, it is all relevant to (my) casemodding anyway.

Which chip to you wanna supercool via the Pelt.....gpu or cpu? You will have to take steps to prevent condensation, which may inlcude at the least proper dielectric grease in the sockets/on the pins, and some high-density foam....eg Neoprene rubber sheets available at most refigeration repair shops etc......

Not difficult to do, as I used something similar to insulate my GPU when I used the VapoPE on it to gain a little extra......

Let me go and visit DreamTheEndless' thread he linked, and we can discuss it.

ModKit: I will probably end up watercooling the Northbridge, as you suggested earlier...a friend wants to buy my current benching mobo, which has the Microcool Northpole glued on with Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive.....I have a spare Max3, which I will then perform the same mods on, only diff is I will use a wb on the NB.....it would not give me anything better clockwise, but should fit in with my theme better.

Thanx for the idea. Appreciate the feedback you guys give :)

Br,
    MrBean.

4. ModKid

ModKid What's a Dremel?

bean you got my email?

5. CT-Petzolinni

CT-Petzolinni What's a Dremel?

wooow cable managament is super.
    how did you get your sata cables so nice?

GRTS

6. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hi ModKit,
    Thanx, I have sent you a reply..... :)

Anyway guys,
    a Small change in plans.....yip, these things happen from time to time. After some input from you guys, I have decided to raid my wife's gaming rig, and relieved it of the Black Ice Extreme Dual 120mm raddy...nice.....in it's place I have now 2 of the small Asetek raddies, and I will use the BIX for my Project....wife happy, me happy, even the cats are happy...hehe...

So, I have decided that I will mount the new rad in the top, as this is really the only place for it....

It will go here....

[​IMG]

Here is a comparison of the 2 units....

[​IMG]

I have decided, because of this slight change, to rather now mount the Eheim pump where the old rad used to be, and the reservoir will probably change too....maybe a bayres to fit into the 3.5" internal bays? Dunno...any suggestions? This would look relatively clean compared to the old setup.

If the Eheim is mounted where rad used to be, then I can route the powercord through the same hole as the VapoLS cables, and feed power to the pump from the compressor relay inside the LS housing. Would solve 1 problem. Of course the pump would be out of the very hot LS compressor housing too! Much better life expectancy.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanx CT, ok, I basically bend them, and I used some Pattex Superglue to keep them together.....lol....the stuff is really strong, and only a very small drop is needed every 3-4cm apart....who said I am not allowed to use superglue in a casemod.... :D

Have any of you guys got an idea what this fan grill is called, and where I can get it?See pic below...

[​IMG]

edit: Stingher, hope you don't mind me borrowing your case for a short while? If it is a prob I will remove the linkie? :)

Last edited: 26 Jul 2004
  7. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

hi!
    I don't know where you can get them in... eh... Durban? but they are made by aqua computer (located in germany, but sold world wide). Link

8. koola

koola Minimodder

Great mod so far!

The fan grill is a airplex evo 240 from aqua computers.

Also, why have a duel rad when a single rad will do just as well?
    The duel rad will be cramped up in the top as it has a deep profile. The pic that you have of the other case is a lian-li PC 70 which is way bigger and more spacious!

Keep up the good work :D

9. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hi Guys,
    Thanx for the quick replies....

and
    Koola:Thanx for the feedback. I will try my best to make a memorable mod out of this one....lol...if everything goes according plan.

Problem is that we do not have (easy) access to the decent modding goodies like most guys here, I have to import quite a lot.....there is watercooling and phase-change systems available, but the market is only starting to see the potential of these items.

But, let's see what happens.

I want to use the Dual BIX because it will blend in with the extreme theme....since I am going to watercool the NB as well, it would be added security....not really needed, but, there is enough space, etc...so, why not...hehe...

Thanx for the heads-up anyway, additional comments most welcome.

10. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

was it just luck that the HD's fit behind the mobo tray? or should most hd's fit back there? great idea btw!

11. SkylerUnruh

SkylerUnruh What's a Dremel?

Where'd you get the HD adapters?!?!

Okay, I love the Harddrive location, where did you get the nifty adapters to make the drives SATA compliant? I plan on moving my drives to a similar location if I can get some adapters like that. I also am modding a Lian-Li case, but mine is a Lian-Li PC6100A which was discontinued after only a few were made. Got a whole nice theme for the case and have been taking pics of everything along the way, I plan to post pics and info when completed. Having the chassis powder coated black at the moment, ordered all the aluminum fans... going with green lighting. I'll post a link to my project log once I get it going.

I love your work though man, very good clean cuts, and nice planning. Two thumbs up totally dude... and keep up the awesome modding. :rock:

12. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hello Everyone,
    Mmm...the Sata bridges I got when I bought some Abit IC7-G's a while back....come in handy now. Most PC stores will sell these in kit form, incl. the Sata bridge, Sata Data and power cables (!x Each)

You will have to use the slimline Maxtor drives, normal drives are slightly to thick (about 1mm) to fit in there....so I guess I was a little lucky too...hehe...

SkylerUnruh: Thanx for the feedback.....I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your Project Log, or you can send me a PM if you want.

Ok, I'll be gone for a family gathering from the 17th until the 24th of July, I won't be able to post anything, but will be doing a few small things in my absence. Be sure to check back next weekend again, and happy modding.

Best regards,
    Beanie.

13. ModKid

ModKid What's a Dremel?

cuz he's going to cool his chipset as well cuz i told him too :dremel: :hehe: :D . Not to mention some kickass overclocking with his videocard that can give some heat as well, and lower temperatures. means higher overclocks.

besides a dual black ice looks better too.

14. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hi Guys,
    Ok, I am back from my week long vacation, just drove 820km in 6 hours flat...bloody tired...hehe...but, had to check my Log 1st.

I'll be doing a few things tomorrow concerning the windows, so check back for some action and pics.

Will keep you posted.

15. coccis-wez

coccis-wez What's a Dremel?

looking real nice so far ;) Wery nice and clean look

Off Topic: Did you live in Finland? if thats the case, i can buy the 120mm rad from you if you doesnt need it ;)

16. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Thanx for the reply....

I don't live in Finland, but I work for Metso Automation, and travel to Tampere more or less twice per year to do Project related testing etc....DCS Automation Systems....

You can contact Miska Saarvaanto at www.coolputer.fi , himself or Arvi are the guys that usually assits me, very nice gentlemen. I got the 120mm old Asetek units from them!

If you don't come right, let me know, I will travel again in January, and can bring 1 120mm unit with.

17. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Great work Bean, can't believe this thread slipped past me :D The inspector must be doing a good job :dremel:

18. coccis-wez

coccis-wez What's a Dremel?

Ok, yea the guys at coolputer are real nice, Most off the stuff in my computer are from them ;) including my vapochill standalone, asfar as i know they are the only store in finland that sells standalone units.

I think i will just order a new radiator from them, because the one i have right now is pretty big, and i dont have that mutch room in my case after i installed my standalone :D But thx anyway.

And i think i must say this again, Yoy got a real nice case there ;) good work.

19. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hello Coccis-wez/Leeum,
    Thanx for the feedback.......it is always nice to receive positive feedback and ideas from co-modders.....

Anyway, yip, coolputer is good, I bought my 1st Vapochill from them, on a visit to Finland, when it was still unavailable in South Africa. Fantastic service, but, again, in my experience, most Finnish people are like that...very Professional. And the beer is very good...lol...

But, let me get on with the fitting of the new 120X2 BIX rad in the top section....still some work to do, and would like to get it doe with.....will post some pics tonight. Not much, but at least something.....

20. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hi Everyone,
    Just a small update....been :dremel: :dremel: tonight, and butchered a perfectly good Lian-Li top cover :naughty:

I have done the hole in the top lid where the BIX Rad will fit....ontop of the rad there will be some modders mesh, or, if I can find it, an Airplex Evo dual 120mm fan grill....that would look kief....

Here is the top lid removed, and all masked up....the unmasked area will be removed
    [​IMG]

Ok, here is the lid after the hole was cut.....used a jigsaw for this size holes....still rough, need to finish it off with a file....
    [​IMG]

Here is how the rad will fit in.....
    [​IMG]

Here is the lid with the masking tape removed...note the relative smooth finish after the cut with the jigsaw, even before any filing....
    [​IMG]

Here is the cutout after some filing....
    [​IMG]

and finally, a close-up of the hole with the rad underneath....
    [​IMG]

Anyone in USA want to sponsor me with an Airplex Evo Dual 120mm fangrill? ...lol...

This is all for now, will have to purchase some stainless expanded metal (modders mesh) to fit ontop of the rad, as I can't find the Airplex locally...what a pity... :sigh:

Last edited: 26 Jul 2004