1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Big Foot Print 56k beware soon!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by couzo, 16 Oct 2003.

1. couzo

couzo What's a Dremel?

Right I hope I don't write to much but here it is I have water cooled my case for 2 years now and wanted to get a case like the YY cube that would provide a deeper case to fit more bits but Icould not find a cheaper big case that was suitable for my needs as the YY cube was to small so I thought why not get 2 cases and join them together. So I started to look for a good cheap case which I found on www.komplett.co.uk but now 2 days from ordering the case and receiving them they have taken the case off the site??

[​IMG]

This skyhawk case cost me £38 inc vat and comes with as follows

In the front bezel

2 USB 2.0 ports
    1 Firewire port
    1 mic port
    1 earphone port
    a clock and temp read out and a cool looking lcd

the case has

1 mobo tray
    all case screws are thumb screws
    2 80mm fans

All that and a nice alu case for £8 either komplett are going mad or it is just a very good bargin!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. couzo

couzo What's a Dremel?

My first plan what do you think to my mad paint skillz!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I will be using

1 bayres rev2
    1 cascade water block
    1 z-chip nb block
    maze4 gpu block
    120.3 rad
    3 120mm fans 7v
    eheim 1250

3. Cowinacape

Cowinacape What's a Dremel?

I am looking forward to seeing how you execute some of your ideas, like you I am in the process (sp?) of building up a dually rig here can't wait to see some of your progress, good luck with it!

4. couzo

couzo What's a Dremel?

thanks mate with yours how secure are the cases bolted together? Can you easily pick them up without worrying about them splitting?

5. couzo

couzo What's a Dremel?

what would the best and most accurate way to line up the botls so the cases stay staight as from the top where the alu top is still on there is a 3-4mm gap running round the case??

6. Cowinacape

The cases so far when bolted together are quite secure, but keep in mind I have nothing in them yet, if they prove to want to shift any on me once I get them loaded, I have some aluminium C channel on hand to re-enforce the bottom of the case with, to add some extra rigidity to the overall structure.

To get the two cases lined up nicely when I was locating the bolts to, I removed the motherboard tray from the lefthand case, then assembeld the two cases together on a very flat and as true as possible surface, when I was happy with the alignment, I clamped from inside the case (using 2 inch spring clamps) then drilled through the two panels. Just a couple of holes at first, then I bolted through them. After those first couple of bolts where tightened down, I removed the newely bolted panel, and drilled as many holes as I figured I would need and slipped bolts into each one, when that was done, I re-atttached the new panel to one half of the case, re affixed the motherboard tray, to the other case, and then slipped that case into the new side panel.

In this picture you can see the bolt heads joing the two panels if you look carefully.[​IMG]

I am not sure if this answers your second question, but it did server for me to line up the two seperate cases nicely.

7. penski

penski BodMod

Seeing as this is still a 'I will' rather than a 'I am' log, I'm gonna move it into Modding until we have some actual work underway...

....We want LOTS of pictures :)

*n

8. couzo

couzo What's a Dremel?

"I will" log?????????? Right so someone who has bought 2 of the same case and bolts now and everything Ineed is an "I will" thread I don't really see the point in that but you "must" know what you are doing??????????? :duh:

Surely every log has a start middle and end and this is my start?

Thanks for your input cowinacape

9. couzo

couzo What's a Dremel?

right back to business this is where I hope to put the bolts (The red lines

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think can I add anymore I have not put any on the top part as there are no clear parts to do this, could I use a plate or metal or something ideas would be great

10. Cowinacape

The only draw back I can see to you joing the two case frames together, is if you ever want to seperate the two case halves. For example you get a shiny new heat sink that has to be secured from behind the motherboard tray ect.) Joing the two case panels (the inside ones) allows you to at least simply pull the two frames away from each other to get at things.

11. couzo

couzo What's a Dremel?

good poit but as I water cool I would have to take verything apart anyway to add something new. I could always do what you have done with the 2 side panels but in the end it would be the same as joining the cases by their frames. I would use nuts and bolts so I could take it apart whenever I want. What do you think?

Also I am a bit wrried about frilling the frame as it is quite thin, I just need something to rest it on I think??

What do you think?

12. Cowinacape

The only thing you may find, joining the case frames together, is that if you ever need to get the two sides apart, you may need to remove some of your hardware to gain accsess to the bolts/nuts. Just something to think over, either way it isn't much of a big deal, try it one way, and if you don't like how it works out after all is said and done, you can always come up with a new plan of attack.

13. couzo

couzo What's a Dremel?

the case is now together I just need to make it as secure as possible it looks great!!!!!!!! Will post pics when I get time!! :rock:

And just as a message I will be changing the project name to Project "I Will" (Sorry mods but what was said higher up the thread got to me as it came across as quite rude what was said about my post)

14. Cowinacape

Looking forward ot seeing your pictures!

15. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Be sure to cut a hole for access to the motherboard holes, a quick fix to the having to spread apart the two cases to install a new block or something.

16. couzo

couzo What's a Dremel?

Yes I know thats going to be done like my currant case will get some pics up tonight

17. penski

penski BodMod

Apologies for my earlier curtness.

I'll gladly move this back across when I get home tonight....

:)

*n

18. couzo

couzo What's a Dremel?

no probs mate I was in a bit of a bad mood then!! It really all depends on how you interprit what is typed and its tone of voice but this indeed is going ahead and going ahead well!! :rock:

19. penski

penski BodMod

:D

You know we like pictures round these 'ere parts...

*n

20. couzo

couzo What's a Dremel?

I know you do and so do i here are some more I am getting some smaller M4 bolts as I ran out!! (Thats me never thinking ahead!!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At the weekend I will be modding the top of the cases and securing the front of the case more. I just need to make it as secure as possible when moving it from my upstairs to downstairs and for the case rotation when filling a bleeding the system. Another thing I did not think of was drive securing when the cases are together but I will work some way around that thats what a dremel is for!!