1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project BIO-A10 by E.E.L. Ambiense - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 23 Apr 2012.

1. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

Thanks Bill, can't wait to start modding again!

Now Jeremy, I'm hoping for an update for my breakfast!

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Ice skating in Florida? None of that made any sense! :lol:

3. Foregasm

Foregasm What's a Dremel?

Just became really grateful my parents knew a nimble fingered rabbi...

4. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Thanks, m8! LOL, not anywhere near as funny as the Simpsons though. I'd say a really crappy episode of Family Guy; you know, like the ones where nothing is funny? :hehe:

Good log-fu is respectful to the reader as well as the work presented. Make it fun, ya know?

Hahaha, thanks man! I perhaps did....once....when I was a wee lad...back in the, uh, 80's...

Hahaha! That's awesome, bro!

Crunch, Crunch, Crunch!

Well, unfortunately I kinda pee'd that one right down my leg. I have some stuff brewin' though... heh heh heh... Gimme a bit.

:hehe: That's the best part!

:lol:

5. thegyufi

thegyufi What's a Dremel?

I'm really really impressed with your paint job... !!

6. E.E.L. Ambiense

Log Update #22

Update time!

Last we left off, I was going to insert some mesh into the second (unused) PSU spot. Emphasis on was; I decided to use the panel that actually goes there. I just don't want to suck in the residual exhaust air from the PSU back into the rad's area right next to it, not that it'll really make much difference but still. I think this will look better anyways. Nothing like residual suckage, right? :hehe:

[​IMG]

I hit it with the spray method I've been using...

[​IMG]

Now, let's do something interesting. I don't have any stencils or anything made, but I don't really need one for this. You can use regular masking tape!

[​IMG]

Quick spray and removal; ready to go! Fits in with the theme.

[​IMG]

I sprayed down the mobo tray that I had previously blacked out with the color I've been using, earth brown.

[​IMG]

Let's beat it up a little...

[​IMG]

And let's add some "shmegma" to it. :hehe: Make it a little grimy and dirty.

[​IMG]

I played around with the front door's framing a bit, and ultimately decided I'd rather just leave them alone aside from really abrading them and beating them up, so it gets that "I've been opened and closed a lot" kind of look.; similar to Lindsay Lohan's career! :hehe: ZZZap-bam!

[​IMG]

Textured scraping effect...

[​IMG]

Let's take care of the PSU bracket now.

[​IMG]

Scraped up...

[​IMG]

And all finalized and done! That will stop a bullet now; no scratching that finish.

[​IMG]

Mobo tray's all finished up as well...

[​IMG]

Let's finish up on those feet now. I decided to add a little "shmegma" to them as well. I think that should be an official Bit-Tech modding term: shmegma. What say you? :hehe:

[​IMG]

All four ready for final coat on them.

[​IMG]

And, done!

[​IMG]

Finished up on final assembly for the front door. Again, bullet-proof!

[​IMG]

I got the front door installed back on the chassis proper, and realized yet another thing I overlooked; I meant to drill out the holes on the front of the chassis for the larger LEDs I've had in a baggy I found in one of my junk-trunks I was supposed to slip in on there to replace the chintsy ones that used to live there. I mean, I went through all the trouble making the "rusty vagina" too! :hehe:

Alright, let's do some post-paintjob surgery. :sigh: I hate that. Usually my brain has every little one of the 8,000-odd steps or whatever that goes into a mod already worked out beforehand, but ultimately I'm just really rusty. It's like working out, ya know?

[​IMG]

And, dropped in the LEDs for test-fitment...

[​IMG]

Looks good! For a second there I was worried about fitment issues, since I didn't even look into it beforehand. :hehe: I just shot from the hip!

Let's close the door so I can show you what I was intending... And before you say it; I know. It looks like a rusty vagina. :hehe:

[​IMG]

Just need to continue assembly, and perhaps I can get this wrapped up soon!

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking in, and I'll be back soon with some more matériel!

[​IMG]

7. Blooddrunken

Blooddrunken In Flames we Trust

awesome read und awesome build :thumb: :)

8. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Since I always find girls younger than me, I've never seen one! But I bet that's how it would look! :lol:

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Far better than a nimble-fingered priest too. They still touch the same stuff, just for different reasons...

You are going to need more than a tetanus shot if you like those rusty vaginas.

With this, I fill my dirty joke quota for the week.

10. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

LOL :D:D:D

11. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

Cheaps, your quota has surely dropped off in recent years. I remember a time where it was almost every post! Ahh, memories!

I'm liking the rusty vigina idea (Don't tell the missus!)

12. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

This Case makes me want to reinstall fallout 3. Looking cool man.

13. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

E.E.L

One quick question. How do you stop the materiel from rusting after you get the desired effect?

14. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Awesome job E.E.L! This is looking sexy as hell, love the vagina :D

Last edited: 18 Jun 2012
  15. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks, man!

LOL. Well, you gotta be careful with the younger ladies though; now-a-days they'd require more than just a tetanus booster.... at least with a rusty one you'd just need a zinc-plated condom! :hehe:

:hehe: That's just sick. --True, but sick. :lol:

Heh heh

:hehe: Vigina? Is that a name? ;)

Hahah, thanks man!

Sure thing. With the iron solution, once it dries it's ready for the copper sulfate. Once applied, it rusts the iron particles and once the iron is all used up, nothing left to rust! In regards to whatever it's on top of, like in this situation and aluminum chassis, it won't rust because aluminum doesn't rust. If it were a steel case, I'd be a little more careful about it!

Thanks, m8!

16. Raiden

Raiden Portuguese reviewer

Its an awesome job! :D keep on, loving the details mate

17. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Heh, when I moved to AK the hockey coach asked if I wanted to play. I was like "dude, I'm from south Georgia, if a single snow flake falls they shut down the city!"

18. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

WOOT? and no fighting with white bears when You go to school every morning? :)

19. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Naa, I lived too far south for the white bears. Black and brown ones where I was at! :D

20. E.E.L. Ambiense

Log Update #23

Alrighty, update time!

I'd like to formally thank another supporter who helped make this update happen; my supplier over the years, friend, and now employer, Performance-PCs!

[​IMG]

Let's get to it, shall we?

I needed to start prep on the reservoir/pump combo. Let's do that.

Here's the res.

[​IMG]

A single-DDC model XSPC bay-res.

[​IMG]

I've used these a hundred times for clients in the past as well as some current through work as well. They're cheap and reasonably reliable. When my best friend asked which cheap res I'd go with I chose this one, so I was supplied with this one.

I just hope I got the luck of the draw and got one with the threads tapped perpendicular to the surface; i.e. fitting will go on flat and o-ring engaged. These have a tendency of having that issue from time-to-time. Your experience may vary!

[​IMG]

They're nice and clean looking for the price!

And the pump going on there...

[​IMG]

Oddly enough, a DDC pump. Hence the name. :hehe: It's an 18w model for some extra oompf, ya know? We all need some extra oompf on occasion, right? :lol:

Let's take it apart now. :)

[​IMG]

The blue impeller is a dead giveaway for the model you have. Vanilla 10w models have a black one.

[​IMG]

It's also an awesome magnet! :hehe:

[​IMG]

Alright, enough screwing around. Let's install the pump on the res now.

You need to make sure your o-ring is still present on the pump after removal of the top; otherwise this watercooling venture will be rather short-lived. :hehe: Hey-- I've seen worse. Trust me. There are some dips out there! :lol:

[​IMG]

Four screws through the holes and into the res... Don't over-tighten them. A good trick is to look at an angle on the top to see if you see a clear "ring" against the acrylic, hence the o-ring being sealed against it.

[​IMG]

Let's start slapping on the business end of the comp fittings on the res to save hand-cramping doing it inside the case. Tapped fine, by the way! What luck! :hehe:

[​IMG]

Installed an adapter for a fitting on top... I have a few of these laying around; in the past I've had to drill/tap the reservoirs for my own fill-ports before they made these available. :miffed:

[​IMG]

Oh, by the way... I finally had some time to wire up and sleeve the two activity LEDs for behind the front door (and the "rusty vagina"). Weathered up and ready to rock! Yellow and green for color. It's all I had, but it kinda fits the theme fine.

[​IMG]

Alright, let's install the res now in the case. I had already installed the fan controller in there too.

[​IMG]

And the optical drive... I had a cheapie brand-new DVD-R drive to spare, so it works fine for this project. They're like $20 bucks or something now or less, so no biggie.

[​IMG]

And let's slide in that HDD rack too. Man, you can really see the dust collecting on everything already! It's not normal dust though... Powder is really fine.

[​IMG]

Supplied by Performance-PCs, some really thick steel modder's mesh. Some of you know that I hate steel. Hate it. But it will work for what I have in mind... heh heh...

I marked out on it everything I needed to cut; not much to spare after that!

[​IMG]

Piece #1 cut for the front bottom of the case behind the door. I sprayed it with orange and weathered it a bit. I think it looks perfect!

[​IMG]

Alright, piece #2 for the left side panel (intake) for the rad/PSU down below...

[​IMG]

Marked out for holes drilled for mounting purposes...

[​IMG]

...and drilled. Jeez, I hate steel. :hehe:

[​IMG]

It lines up perfectly.

[​IMG]

Now, cutting some stuff I actually enjoy cutting; some aluminum (aluminium to Kyle) hex-mesh.

[​IMG]

First piece sprayed with orange and weathered...

[​IMG]

There. Looks great. I just... don't think it will work for actually supplying air to the rad/PSU like it should, ya know? I don't think water would go through those holes! :hehe:

[​IMG]

So, I attacked it with the jigsaw and rotary tool a bit! :dremel:

[​IMG]

The hex-mesh piece has been sprayed with some yellow paint for some contrast and weathered...

[​IMG]

...and done.

[​IMG]

A quick fitment...

[​IMG]

See what I'm going for? *background story for the piece* Perhaps the original (orange piece) rusted away and for a quick fix the engineer simply slapped in some of the yellow mesh in there as a 'bandage' and never fixed it right.

Let's rust the edge now. Make it really nasty.

[​IMG]

I'll be back to that later.

I cut another piece for the top exhaust 140mm fan as well from the hex-mesh...

[​IMG]

...Which brings us to some more supplies from Performance-PCs. Xigmatek's beautiful orange-bladed fans. These will be the fans I'm going to run in here instead of the poopie Yates I was originally supplied with. They're ok.... but they're not really what I want to use, you know? Xigs will work just fine... heh heh...

[​IMG]

Stock, they're nice. White LEDs to accentuate the orange blades.... but.... I don't want white LEDs. I also happen to know the blades are in fact UV-reactive. :)

[​IMG]

Soooooo, let's snip those bad-boys outta there! :hehe:

[​IMG]

Relax, the fan's fine...

[​IMG]

Looking at how the LEDs are wired on the fans, I can safely remove them and the fan itself will still work. Which is what I want. The fans will still work with independent lighting control.

A quick test connected to Winona, and she still works.

[​IMG]

Now, let's wire in and install some LEDs that will really look cool in there...

[​IMG]

Yes! Just like that! :rock:

[​IMG]

Perfect. Now, with the mesh on top, please?

[​IMG]

This is gonna rock.

Alright, thanks for tuning in and I'll be back soon with some more shtuff. Toodles!

[​IMG]